Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Hong Kong and Macau
Reload this Page >

how does checked luggage get to HKG via MTR intown checkin?

Old Jul 18, 17, 8:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA(GGL) QF LTS CX AM, Hilton Diamond

i have always been curious about how my checked luggage gets transported to the airport if you use intown check in?

anyone knows for sure?

don't seem to see any luggage carriages on the MTR express. So I'm kinda guessing it goes by ground transport which leaves every X minutes. Probably 40 mins max to the airport on the road. Meaning that a bag checked in 90mins prior to departure, will make it to the airport say 35 mins to departure (assuming the bus leaves max every 15 minutes)?
Old Jul 18, 17, 8:51 am

they go on the train, there's a special carriage for baggage only towards the front of the train. The fact that you don't see staff loading bags onto trains shows how well the operation is designed.
Old Jul 18, 17, 10:16 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Gold, GE
Yup, the first (and/or last?) carriages of the AEL train. That's why they don't have any windows!
Old Jul 18, 17, 3:22 pm

Programs: AMEX AC CX UA AA DL
Scroll to the bottom for a photo and the write-up for its fully-automated operation (in Chinese only)

https://hkrailway.org/chi/train.html
Old Jul 20, 17, 3:42 am

Programs: CX DM
Originally Posted by beep88 View Post
Scroll to the bottom for a photo and the write-up for its fully-automated operation (in Chinese only)

https://hkrailway.org/chi/train.html
That link is for the frames page (good old HTML frames). The photo is at the bottom of this page : https://hkrailway.org/chi/body.html
Old Jul 20, 17, 4:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA(GGL) QF LTS CX AM, Hilton Diamond
Ah I will try to see how they load the luggage in and out next time!
Old Jul 20, 17, 5:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-PlatLife, BA-Gold, SPG-LTP, HL-DIA
Originally Posted by ermen View Post
Ah I will try to see how they load the luggage in and out next time!
You can't.... except maybe if you peek between the gaps at the front of the train and hear the roaring of cargo wheels !

Its a super efficient system and totally safe (all the xrays are done prior to loading) since the opening of the Airport Express service - almost 20 years now.
Old Jul 20, 17, 5:38 am

Programs: Lowly CX & IHG
Joined a special guided tour at Hong Kong Station for the system once, quite some time ago, for what FT-ers concern, there are belts like airports use to transport the bags into an area (should be the end of platform for the special carriage), where human workers put the bags into metal boxes, then the boxes are moved into the train like the article describes. Like an extension of airport baggage handling.
Empty boxes will return by trains from the airport.
Old Jul 20, 17, 7:10 am

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Just an incredibly well designed system.

Amazing to think it's already 20 years old.

And that few, if any(?) other airports have copied such an innovative and remarkably practical setup.
Old Jul 20, 17, 8:57 am

Programs: OneWorld Emerald (BA GGL), *A Silver (Miles & Less), Skyteam Pleb (KLM FlyingBlue), Mucci Platinum
Originally Posted by QRC3288 View Post

And that few, if any(?) other airports have copied such an innovative and remarkably practical setup.
There's also the KLIA Express to/from KUL. The cargo section is less well-hidden there though: you can often spot the luggage handlers as you come into the airport station there.
Old Jul 20, 17, 9:01 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Oneworld, *A; Hilton, SPG
Originally Posted by QRC3288 View Post

Not just that few other airport have copied it, but few airports have successfully copied it. I think the success isn't just in the idea, but also that it's operating for a relatively large and busy airport, and practically open to and used by all airlines operating at HKG. I assume this takes down the cost per bag, compared to other "in-town check in" implementations. Off the top of my head, I believe it is or was in use in at least KUL, BKK, VIE...
Old Jul 20, 17, 1:17 pm
Moderator: Cathay Pacific Asia Miles and Singapore Airlines KrisFlyer

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
Not CX-related - moving to the HKG forum.

cxfan1960

CX CoMod
Old Jul 21, 17, 6:47 am

Programs: RJ Emerald
It's especially amazing considering that the sceduled stop for the AE at Kowloon station is just 2-3 minutes and yet they still manage to load the baggage. Do they use ULDs (containers)?
Old Jul 21, 17, 6:51 am

Programs: RJ Emerald
Originally Posted by jdtravels View Post
Not just that few other airport have copied it, but few airports have successfully copied it. I think the success isn't just in the idea, but also that it's operating for a relatively large and busy airport, and practically open to and used by all airlines operating at HKG. I assume this takes down the cost per bag, compared to other "in-town check in" implementations. Off the top of my head, I believe it is or was in use in at least KUL, BKK, VIE...
I have created this thread some time ago, although by no means is it a full list.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...own-check.html
Old Jul 21, 17, 7:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: None any more
Originally Posted by Rami Tamimi View Post
It's especially amazing considering that the sceduled stop for the AE at Kowloon station is just 2-3 minutes and yet they still manage to load the baggage. Do they use ULDs (containers)?
If you look closely at the photo linked above you can see that they do.

Search this Thread