Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Hong Kong and Macau
Reload this Page >

I am Sri Lankan do I need Transit Visa to HK

I am Sri Lankan do I need Transit Visa to HK

Old Jul 18, 17, 8:11 am
Original Poster
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 1
I am Sri Lankan do I need Transit Visa to HK

Hello everyone! My husband is a Sri Lankan Passport holder and we will be travelling to my country (Philippines) currently we are residing and holding UAE visa. My concern is we already booked our ticket via Cathay Pacific and will be transiting to HK for 3 hours vice versa (dxb-mnl-dxb). Im getting confused as there are some blogs that says he dosent need transit visa for its less than 12hrs. stay while there are some blogs as well that he should obtain a transit visa. Please if any one here experience this, kindly let me know which is which. Thanks a lot! 😊

Last edited by Mae Lejen Salgado; Jul 18, 17 at 8:12 am Reason: Title
Mae Lejen Salgado is offline  
Old Jul 18, 17, 9:47 am
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: DCA/IAD
Programs: IHG, SPG, Hyatt, AS, AC, BA, AA, VS
Posts: 3,202
Wikipedia is usually fairly accurate - according to this article a transit visa is required even if you're remaining airside. (They also link to the official HK immigration website)

official site link isn't loading for me for some reason
glennaa11 is offline  
Old Jul 19, 17, 4:57 pm
Senior Moderator/Moderator: United MileagePlus
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: San Francisco, CA
Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
Posts: 12,095
Mae L Salgado, welcome to FlyerTalk! As you are concerned about the visa requirements to transit Hong Kong, we have moved this thread to the specific forum on Hong Kong. You'll be automatically redirected to the new location of your thread. Ocn Vw 1K, Senior Moderator.
Ocn Vw 1K is offline  
Old Jul 19, 17, 7:09 pm
Join Date: Nov 2009
Programs: DL PM
Posts: 2,919
According to TIMATIC (several online sources, one is here: https://www.united.com/web/en-us/app...aspx?i=TIMATIC ) OP's husband requires a HK visa to transit HK.
mnbp is offline  
Old Jul 19, 17, 10:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Hong Kong
Programs: None any more
Posts: 11,002
Yes - all the official sources I look at (HK Government website, Timatic) say that he needs a transit visa.
christep is offline  
Old Jul 21, 17, 5:07 am
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 1,849
There's been a number of travellers from certain countries claiming refugee status as soon as they land in Hong Kong. As a result, the Government has imposed some pretty strict travel conditions on some passport holders.
889 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread