Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Hong Kong and Macau
Reload this Page >

odd question: best place to get photos of container ships & operations?

Old Jul 16, 17, 8:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, GOES

I've got a business need to photo container ships & container operations (loading, etc) around HK harbor. Looking for suggestions for locations, both higher elevation and nearby, where I could either park or be temporarily dropped off by an Uber to get these shots.

Looking at Google maps, I was thinking of places like Stonecutters Island, finding a spot that has a good overlook.

Thanks!
Old Jul 16, 17, 9:51 am
Original Poster

Umm, yeah, I don't need google photos of containers, I need to SHOOT photos of container ships & operations around Hong Kong harbor.
Old Jul 16, 17, 9:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: None any more
There are various paths over Tsing Yi that also offer good vantage points.

An alternative would be to do it from the sea: http://intimate-charters.com/favourite_6.html

One of the unusual (or even unique) things about container operations in HK, particularly for the smaller vessels, is how much of the on/off-loading and transhipment is done at anchor in the harbour using barges rather than alongside the main terminals.

EDIT - this is weird - why can't I link Facebook albums here?

Try https://www.face book.com/pg/IntimateCharters/photos/?tab=album&album_id=741252539320148 and delete the space
Old Jul 16, 17, 10:27 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the Tsing Yi tip! That charter was a bit pricey & long for what I need, but good idea, just will use the Star Ferry instead.
Old Jul 16, 17, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm a bit confused by this - I'm not aware that the Star Ferry goes anywhere remotely close to the container terminals...

(Edit: sorry - HK bed time! Will follow up inthe morning.)
Old Jul 16, 17, 10:51 am
Original Poster

You're probably right! I assumed some docks would be seen on an hour tour, but big mistake to assume anything. I wonder if there's something cheaper than 4800HKD that goes near the container terminals?
Old Jul 16, 17, 5:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Another tour that might be beyond your anticipated price range:
https://www.hongkongyachting.com/tourshongkong
You do get a meal and drinks though.
Old Jul 24, 17, 10:29 am

If you could high up on one of the buildings near Mei Foo facing the container ship yard, you could probably get some good photos. I just took taxi last week driving thru the overpass between the yard and Mei Foo and I could see the ship yard clearly on top of the overpass. I don't think you could walk up there though.
Old Jul 30, 17, 9:48 am

You ascend from the steps just next to Ching Wah Court bus stop on Tsing Yi or go up the path to Ching Hong Road playground and continue to climb up.

More photos : http://www.globalphotos.org/hk-tsingyi.htm
Old Aug 5, 17, 6:23 am

Programs: UA1K MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott cardboard
If you take West Rail to the end (going West!), you'll see some great port activity on the way

The bad news is that you will then be at the end of west rail in a very unappealing part of Kowloon. The good news is that the train also goes the other way.
Old Aug 5, 17, 6:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The end of the West Rail is at Tuen Mun in the North West New Territories - way beyond Kowloon! I'm not sure why you find Tuen Mun unappealing though... Few specific tourist attractions I grant you, but far from unappealing.

The port activities are around Kwai Chung, which can readily be viewed from plenty of places other than the West Rail.
Old Aug 5, 17, 7:30 am
Suspended

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Originally Posted by christep View Post
The end of the West Rail is at Tuen Mun in the North West New Territories - way beyond Kowloon! I'm not sure why you find Tuen Mun unappealing though... Few specific tourist attractions I grant you, but far from unappealing.
Great hiking. Just did a long 16km walk from Tuen Mun to Sham Tseng, ending with some roast goose.
Old Aug 8, 17, 8:11 pm

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
I realize this isn't actually an answer to OP's question who may have reasons for wanting to take the photos himself, but...

https://www.shutterstock.com/search?...image_type=all

Old Aug 10, 17, 4:30 pm
Original Poster

lol... i really need to say thanks for all the tips!

but... trip is over, job is done! so unless someone else wants to keep it goin', I'm dropping the mic & moving on.
Old Aug 10, 17, 6:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by EditingFX View Post
lol... i really need to say thanks for all the tips!

but... trip is over, job is done! so unless someone else wants to keep it goin', I'm dropping the mic & moving on.
What did you end up doing?

Search this Thread