Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Hong Kong and Macau
Reload this Page >

Sheung Wan to HKIA taxi weekday evening

Old Jul 9, 17, 1:07 am
Original Poster

How is the traffic situation from Sheung Wan / Central to HKIA on a weekday evening?

For various reasons I intend to take a taxi from home to HKIA, leaving at around 6 - 6.30pm with a flight at 8.30pm. No checked baggage and will do online check-in.

I would like to just clarify that for reasons that I don't want to go into here, public transport isn't an option.

Is that feasible or traffic will cause a problem?

Last edited by theworld; Jul 9, 17 at 1:17 am
Old Jul 9, 17, 6:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: None any more
I guess you'll be fine. I would get as close to the Western tunnel as possible before picking up the cab. Once you're into the tunnel it should be plain sailing.
Old Jul 9, 17, 7:05 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by christep View Post
I guess you'll be fine. I would get as close to the Western tunnel as possible before picking up the cab. Once you're into the tunnel it should be plain sailing.
Cheers. I live pretty close to the Western tunnel (near Shun Tek), so hopefully that should be fine.
Old Jul 9, 17, 9:40 pm

Programs: MP, BR
Traffic won't be a problem but finding a taxi might (out of pure speculation).
Old Jul 10, 17, 2:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
If it is not a hassle, go picking up a taxi at the Macau Ferry.

The chance of getting a taxi should be the best at there.
Old Jul 10, 17, 4:06 am

The only places I have seen traffic build up is around where Des Voeux West Road meets Connaught Road and the flyover that goes above Connaught Road. Both tend to clear quite quickly. Once the cab is through the cross harbour tunnel it should be a clear run.

A fall back plan would be to get a cab to Hong Kong station and catch the Airport Express train. You can check in your bags at HK station up to a day in advance and go straight through to security. Below is a link to which airlines allow you to checkin downtown

http://www.mtr.com.hk/en/customer/se...ckin_info.html
Old Jul 10, 17, 11:03 am

West Harbour Tunnel is relatively quiet at this (and indeed any) time and you should definitely (being conservative) be able to do it in less than an hour.

As has been said above, the big problem will be actually getting a taxi. Once you're in a cab, it should be OK. I'm not sure the Shun Tak Centre is the best as I've had to wait in taxi queues there before.
I know you say you can't use public transport... but if no taxis are are available, the airport express isn't a bad option. I guess it would take 45 to 50 minutes from Sheung Wan station depending on waiting times.
Old Jul 10, 17, 8:43 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
I would just say, traffic around sheung wan at 6pm is far from clear. That said, if you get on a cab at 6pm you would arrive before 7.30pm aside from those rare occassions where an accident blocked off the entire road access. Check before u get on a taxi or uber, failing which u may still take the express. Most likely ud get there w a train first.
Old Jul 11, 17, 5:11 am
Original Poster

35 mins in Uber. Left at 6.10.
Old Jul 11, 17, 9:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: None any more
I hope you had access to a lounge to hang out in!

Search this Thread