Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Hong Kong and Macau
Reload this Page >

Leaving & Arriving HKG same day passport/immigration issues?

Old Jul 4, 17, 3:34 pm
Original Poster

Sorry if this is the wrong forum to be asking this.

Is there any potential complications regarding passports and immigration that I could run into for this scenario?

Arrival into HKG at night --> Leave airport/check into hotel for the week --> Leave HKG the next afternoon into SIN --> Fly back to HKG a few hours after arrival into SIN

Considering doing this to fly Suites for the first and probably only time possible for the foreseeable future. Is this possible? Slash is it crazy to do so? Personally, I don't mind and I'm sure people on FT have done similar things :P so this is the best place to ask

Edit: Just realized this is the Asia and not Hong Kong forum, my mistake! Please move as seen fit

Last edited by reverted; Jul 4, 17 at 3:48 pm
Old Jul 4, 17, 5:22 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: United MileagePlus & FlyerTalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM/Plat; AS MVP 75K; AA gold; Fairmont & Starwood platinum; Hyatt diamond; Kimpton IC Elite
Please follow this in the Hong Kong forum.

l'etoile
senior moderator
Old Jul 5, 17, 12:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: None any more
No problem at all. I can't imagine why you might think that there would be.
Old Jul 5, 17, 1:13 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Lots of people do this routinely. Worst that could happen is you could be selected for customs inspection upon entry to HKG, particularly if you have no luggage
Old Jul 5, 17, 6:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-PlatLife, BA-Gold, SPG-LTP, HL-DIA
Originally Posted by number_6 View Post
Lots of people do this routinely. Worst that could happen is you could be selected for customs inspection upon entry to HKG, particularly if you have no luggage
Please don't scare the poor FTer !
Old Jul 5, 17, 9:09 am
Original Poster

Haha thank you all for the responses. Just needed to make sure it doesn't look shady or anything. Or that I would be denied entry back into Hong Kong for a reason I'm not aware of.

SQ Suites, here I come!
Old Jul 5, 17, 12:09 pm

Programs: AMEX AC CX UA AA DL
It may very well look shady. So they may stop you at customs. Poke a hole or 2 at the heels of your shoes to make sure they are not filled with "stuff". If you bring any bottled food stuff, they may want to open it to check for foreign objects.

Since you won't have much if anything as baggage, even a thorough search won't take long.

It is not against the law to do same day foreign trips.
Old Jul 5, 17, 1:34 pm

At least bring a small laptop bag with you. I flew JFK-YVR-HKG-LHR-HKG-JFK with just a laptop bag. I got a simple question from CBP at JFK. They asked me "That's all you have?" It did look kinda awkward, but, it was quick.
Old Jul 6, 17, 2:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: None any more
Many people day trip HKG-SIN-HKG or vv with just a laptop bag every day. I did it several times myself back in my road warrior days. This really isn't an issue.
Old Jul 6, 17, 9:59 am
Original Poster

Wonderful. Thank you all for the useful responses! Award flights booked so it's happening.

Won't be lugging our luggage with us. Will probably just bring a backpack for the two of us.
Old Jul 6, 17, 11:21 am

Programs: SPG Gold, AA Lifetime Platinum, UA Platinum, DL Platinum, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Platinum
The Immigration officers won't know that you have no luggage, as it's before baggage retrieval. The Customs officers won't know your itinerary, as you just walk by them with no interaction, unless they choose to pull you aside. This has never happened to me, and from what I've seen, it's rare in general. It's not like US Customs where they at least briefly speak to everyone.
Old Jul 6, 17, 3:24 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks

Programs: Metro-North Rubbish, Keisei Skinflint, KCR Headphones, Kopaja Platinum
Have done this with/without using the e-channel (for frequent visitors). Never had an issue.

Search this Thread