Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Hong Kong and Macau
Reload this Page >

Best hotel near HKU to get work done?

Old Jul 1, 17, 4:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: ACA 35K, Omni Select Guest Black

Looking for a 4* or preferably 5* not too far from HKU, must have a good desk to work at and good hotel services. Pool a bonus. Suggestions? It's hard to tell from hotel photos what kind of desk/workspace different rooms have.

Also: how much of a nuisance is it to commute between the hotels on the Kowloon side, and the main city? (Across Victoria harbour)? Is it a nuisance, or is it not that big of a deal?

Thanks!!

Last edited by plgplg; Jul 1, 17 at 5:35 pm
Old Jul 2, 17, 12:00 am

Programs: CX, NZ
Originally Posted by plgplg View Post
Looking for a 4* or preferably 5* not too far from HKU, must have a good desk to work at and good hotel services. Pool a bonus. Suggestions? It's hard to tell from hotel photos what kind of desk/workspace different rooms have.

Also: how much of a nuisance is it to commute between the hotels on the Kowloon side, and the main city? (Across Victoria harbour)? Is it a nuisance, or is it not that big of a deal?

Thanks!!
Hotel Jen HK, which is part of the Shangri-La hotel group, is a upper-middle scale hotel near to HKU (about 10-15min walk from the university's west entrance). The property was built when I was a student of the university... about 20 years ago (then an independent brand)

Rooms tend to be smaller than a usual Shangri-La property but services are decent.

HKU is now connected to HK's metro system with its own train station, so it is not a bad idea to stay in Central on even Tsim Sha Tsui area of Kowloon and commute to the university if you are keen for staying at a luxury hotel.
Old Jul 2, 17, 3:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by KeepDiscovering View Post
HKU is now connected to HK's metro system with its own train station, so it is not a bad idea to stay in Central on even Tsim Sha Tsui area of Kowloon and commute to the university if you are keen for staying at a luxury hotel.
+1 Especially when you need to go to the Station to access the campus anyway.
Old Jul 2, 17, 7:07 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions. Hotel Jen looks pretty good actually, a suite with a harbour view is not outrageously priced.

Last edited by plgplg; Jul 2, 17 at 7:23 am
Old Jul 3, 17, 7:56 am
Original Poster

Does anyone here have any first-hand experience with the gha.com hotels on the Kowloon side, i.e.

Gateway, Hong Kong

Marco Polo Hongkong Hotel

Prince, Hong Kong

Reason I ask is that I am gha black level member and I would be likely to get a double upgrade.

I was looking at Hotel Jen near HKU which looks perfectly fine but if the gha hotels (or one of them) is great I would consider that given my status.

Thanks!
Old Jul 3, 17, 11:56 am

Programs: CX Marco Polo Green (hahaha)
Originally Posted by plgplg View Post
Does anyone here have any first-hand experience with the gha.com hotels on the Kowloon side, i.e.

Gateway, Hong Kong

Marco Polo Hongkong Hotel

Prince, Hong Kong
I guess you have to decide if a bigger room via an upgrade is more valuable to you than cutting down on commute time.

As for travelling from TST to HKU, yes, it's easier because of the Island Line extension but it still involves a decent walk from one of the hotels listed above to TST/Austin followed by a change of train at Central. MTR's trip planner estimates a twenty-five minute journey each way.

I would personally prefer an extra hour of my day over a nicer hotel room but YMMV.
Old Jul 4, 17, 9:53 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Gold, GE
Hotel Jen is where a major investment bank at ICC put their interns up at.

Search this Thread