FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hong Kong and Macau (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hong-kong-macau-436/)
-   -   Best hotel near HKU to get work done? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hong-kong-macau/1851152-best-hotel-near-hku-get-work-done.html)

plgplg Jul 1, 2017 4:05 pm

Best hotel near HKU to get work done?

Looking for a 4* or preferably 5* not too far from HKU, must have a good desk to work at and good hotel services. Pool a bonus. Suggestions? It's hard to tell from hotel photos what kind of desk/workspace different rooms have.

Also: how much of a nuisance is it to commute between the hotels on the Kowloon side, and the main city? (Across Victoria harbour)? Is it a nuisance, or is it not that big of a deal?

Thanks!!

KeepDiscovering Jul 2, 2017 12:00 am

Originally Posted by plgplg (Post 28509163)
Looking for a 4* or preferably 5* not too far from HKU, must have a good desk to work at and good hotel services. Pool a bonus. Suggestions? It's hard to tell from hotel photos what kind of desk/workspace different rooms have.

Also: how much of a nuisance is it to commute between the hotels on the Kowloon side, and the main city? (Across Victoria harbour)? Is it a nuisance, or is it not that big of a deal?

Thanks!!

Hotel Jen HK, which is part of the Shangri-La hotel group, is a upper-middle scale hotel near to HKU (about 10-15min walk from the university's west entrance). The property was built when I was a student of the university... about 20 years ago (then an independent brand) :)

Rooms tend to be smaller than a usual Shangri-La property but services are decent.

HKU is now connected to HK's metro system with its own train station, so it is not a bad idea to stay in Central on even Tsim Sha Tsui area of Kowloon and commute to the university if you are keen for staying at a luxury hotel.

garykung Jul 2, 2017 3:31 am

Originally Posted by KeepDiscovering (Post 28510007)
HKU is now connected to HK's metro system with its own train station, so it is not a bad idea to stay in Central on even Tsim Sha Tsui area of Kowloon and commute to the university if you are keen for staying at a luxury hotel.

+1 Especially when you need to go to the Station to access the campus anyway.

plgplg Jul 2, 2017 7:07 am

Thanks for the suggestions. Hotel Jen looks pretty good actually, a suite with a harbour view is not outrageously priced.

plgplg Jul 3, 2017 7:56 am

Does anyone here have any first-hand experience with the gha.com hotels on the Kowloon side, i.e.

Gateway, Hong Kong

Marco Polo Hongkong Hotel

Prince, Hong Kong

Reason I ask is that I am gha black level member and I would be likely to get a double upgrade.

I was looking at Hotel Jen near HKU which looks perfectly fine but if the gha hotels (or one of them) is great I would consider that given my status.

Thanks!

kevincrumbs Jul 3, 2017 11:56 am

Originally Posted by plgplg (Post 28514475)
Does anyone here have any first-hand experience with the gha.com hotels on the Kowloon side, i.e.

Gateway, Hong Kong

Marco Polo Hongkong Hotel

Prince, Hong Kong

I guess you have to decide if a bigger room via an upgrade is more valuable to you than cutting down on commute time.

As for travelling from TST to HKU, yes, it's easier because of the Island Line extension but it still involves a decent walk from one of the hotels listed above to TST/Austin followed by a change of train at Central. MTR's trip planner estimates a twenty-five minute journey each way.

I would personally prefer an extra hour of my day over a nicer hotel room but YMMV.

G-CIVC Jul 4, 2017 9:53 am

Hotel Jen is where a major investment bank at ICC put their interns up at. :)