7 hour layover transportation questions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

7 hour layover transportation questions

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2017, 4:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by Jacquelyn Hyde
Does it make sense?
1 - Take the Airport Express to Central.
2 - Walk to Star ferry from Central and take the ferry to TST Promenade
3 - Walk to Tsim Sha Tsui MTR station (NOT East Station). Take Tsuen Wan line to Mongkok Station. Walk to Ladies
4 - Take Tsuen Wan Line from Mongkok Station to Lai King. Transfer to the Tung Chung Line for 1 stop to Tsing Yi and then transfer to the Airport Express.
1. How important is TST Promenade to you? If not so much, I will take Airport Express to Kowloon Station and then transit to KMB Route 203E from Kowloon Station. There is a stop just opposite of the entrance of Ladies, known as "Mong Kok Station".

You can take this bus returning to Kowloon Station as well.

2. The closest MTR station for the Ladies' entrance is Mong Kok. The closest MTR station for the Ladies' exit is Yau Ma Tei.

3. Don't transfer at Tsing Yi. You can take MTR all the way to Tung Chun. Then you can take taxi or bus back to the airport.

If I have an 8:30 pm flight, I assume I would need to leave Ladies by 5:00 or 5:15
It depends on if you will do lounges, eating, etc. at the airport or not.

Would this be better than relying on taxis? Also, is it hard to find the Tsim Sha Tsui MTR station from the Star Ferry dock?
It is not difficult to find, but will require a decent amount of walking (>10 minutes).
Old Jun 26, 2017, 4:22 pm

As a first-time visitor to HK on a rush schedule, the OP should stick to rail, not start venturing on the buses.

Getting to the airport via Tung Chung is cumbersome, though yes, I do it. The advantage is it's cheap. But that won't matter to the OP, who'll have a "free" return to the airport on her same-day ticket.

Finally, the Star Ferry and the view across the Harbour from TST just can't be missed on a first visit to Hong Kong. And I assume the OP has access to a map, which will show it really is just a light stroll from the Star Ferry to the MTR entrance.

Last edited by 889; Jun 26, 2017 at 4:28 pm
Old Jun 27, 2017, 8:17 am

Programs: Free agent!
Originally Posted by 889
As a first-time visitor to HK on a rush schedule, the OP should stick to rail, not start venturing on the buses.
I agree with this. As a first time visitor to any place that has both a rail and bus option, I always stick with rail as it is much easier to miss a stop while on a bus.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 1:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by 889
1. MTR is no longer as reliable as you think.

2. Star Pier, one of the places OP wants to go, is not really near MTR station.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 4:35 pm

How on earth do you know what I think? Yes the MTR has had more down time in the past couple of years but it's still an exceptionally reliable system.

And I know very well how to get to the MTR from the Star Ferry and it ain't a big deal. Not sure why you keep making it sound like it is. All the OP has to do is look at a map. Everything's clearly marked on Google Maps.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 8:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 889
Not sure why you keep making it sound like it is.
You have your right to insist.

I have my right to express my opinion.
Old Jun 28, 2017, 10:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Hhonors Diamond
Thanks again, everyone. I think I will stick to the MTR plan, and leave Ladies around 5:15. I figure that should allow for contingencies. Lounges / food are not a priority for me.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 9:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Hhonors Diamond
Hi, OP back in case anyone is interested in a very quick layover in Hong Kong. I saw everything I wanted to see, and made it back to the airport with plenty of time to spare. This is what I ended up doing:

1 - I took the Airport Express to Central. TIP: I bought the AE tickets from the machine, and did not wait in line at the ticket office. There were about 40 people in line, so this was a huge timesaver.
2 - I walked to Star ferry from Central, about 10 minutes, and took the ferry to TST Promenade
3 - I walked around TST for a bit and then walked to Tsim Sha Tsui MTR station (NOT East Station). I took the Tsuen Wan line to Mongkok Station, and Ladies Market was right there
4 - I spent at least an hour at Ladies, and then took the Tsuen Wan Line from Mongkok Station to Lai King. I transferred to the Tung Chung Line for 1 stop to Tsing Yi and then transferred to the Airport Express.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.