Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Hong Kong and Macau
Reload this Page >

Re-enter [HKG] after cancelling airline ticket with single entry visa

Old May 9, 17, 5:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CX DM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton DM, Marriott Plat

A friend of mine need to collect something from me during my very short transit at HKG (50 minutes) and we come up with the idea of he waiting me at the boarding gate.

if he bought a full fare Y ticket and cancel it later, will he be able to re-enter HK on his single entry visa? I've had experience when airlines cancel or delay flight where we need to re-enter the country, the exit stamp was cancelled.. is that the same case here?
Old May 9, 17, 6:12 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA
Probably not. In the case of a cancelled flight, then likely yes (but not guaranteed) and it would require the airline's intervention.
Old May 9, 17, 9:31 pm

Programs: BA(GGL) QF LTS CX AM, Hilton Diamond
There are potential criminal liabilities on that as well.

I did not know this - but in Singapore, a few were arrested (not sure if eventually prosecuted) for entering the departures area with a valid boarding pass, but no intention of taking a flight (they were there to buy the iPhone 7).

Obviously HK is not Singapore. Maybe they are more lax. But I would still think there would potentially be a rule somewhere in HK in that regard.

http://www.straitstimes.com/singapor...hangi-airports
Old May 9, 17, 10:16 pm

This strikes me as an awful awful idea. Apart from the possibly serious issues mentioned above -- really, you don't even think of playing games at airports these days -- I'm not at all clear you'd get a refund if you check in, go through immigration, but don't board your flight.
Old May 9, 17, 10:32 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Ausriver View Post
A friend of mine need to collect something from me during my very short transit at HKG (50 minutes) and we come up with the idea of he waiting me at the boarding gate.

if he bought a full fare Y ticket and cancel it later, will he be able to re-enter HK on his single entry visa? I've had experience when airlines cancel or delay flight where we need to re-enter the country, the exit stamp was cancelled.. is that the same case here?
it's possible, but i wouldnt try it on a single entry visa.
Old May 10, 17, 7:53 am
Suspended

Programs: None any more
I beleieve that as a DM you can ask CX to take the item from airside to a landside desk for your friend to collect. In the past (as a DM) I did this in the other direction when I needed to get a document to someone airside before they would be able to come through immigration.
Old May 10, 17, 3:27 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, AA Lifetime Platinum, UA Platinum, DL Platinum, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by christep View Post
I beleieve that as a DM you can ask CX to take the item from airside to a landside desk for your friend to collect. In the past (as a DM) I did this in the other direction when I needed to get a document to someone airside before they would be able to come through immigration.
An "item" to go airside->landside is very different than a needed immigration document to go landside->airside. DM or not, any item coming airside->landside from a passenger needs to be cleared through Customs. I'd be very surprised that CX would want to get involved in this, even if they were allowed to.
Old May 10, 17, 7:19 pm

Have we already forgotten Bag-gate?

http://www.ejinsight.com/20160407-le...er-at-airport/
Old May 10, 17, 7:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
if he bought a full fare Y ticket and cancel it later, will he be able to re-enter HK on his single entry visa?
No. He will be stuck in the sterile area. Seriously.
Old May 11, 17, 12:29 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT
I would just use FedEx.
Old May 11, 17, 3:20 am

Programs: CX MPO DM, Le Club Accor Platinum, World of Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by seawolf View Post
I would just use FedEx.
+1 or change ones flight to allow more than 1hr transit to be able to get out and come back in.
Old May 11, 17, 6:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: CX DM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton DM, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by garykung View Post
No. He will be stuck in the sterile area. Seriously.
So what will happen then? stay forever airside like the movie "the terminal"?
Old May 11, 17, 9:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
So what will happen then? stay forever airside like the movie "the terminal"?
Not exactly.

He will be eventually detained by the Immigration Department and ultimately deported.
Old May 13, 17, 1:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OneSky Alliance Elite+ with Zirconium and oak leaf cluster, Braniff Unobtainium

if he bought a full fare Y ticket and cancel it later, will he be able to re-enter HK on his single entry visa?
That's... an amazingly bad idea. You realize that when HK immigration asks your friend what he was doing and why he was trying to play games with his single entry visa and refundable Y tickets at an airport, an honest answer is going to make him and you look very bad, right?

One of the things customs and immigration officers try to do is to prevent things from being smuggled into the country that shouldn't be there. Bringing something into the country in a highly unorthodox manner, like using a refundable Y ticket to meet someone in the sterile area at HKG raises suspicion (and this is someone with a single entry visa, so you couldn't actually pick a worse person to do this task). So at the minimum your friend probably gets a very invasive search just to make sure nothing funny is being smuggled into the country as part of what you gave your friend, if not deported as garykung suggests.

Alternately, your friend lies. Which is also a very bad idea, since that's a crime.

Try something else. Like FedEx. Or increasing your transit time so you can leave and return.
Old May 14, 17, 5:57 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, AA Lifetime Platinum, UA Platinum, DL Platinum, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Platinum
One does have to wonder what the nature of this item is, given that it's so valuable that it's worth risking getting refused entry / deported over, yet apparently isn't even worth the cost of being FedEx'd to the recipient. Something nefarious comes to mind, but I suppose that there's another explanation: we've run into situations on FT before where people get fixated on how "cool" or "neat" it would be to pull off something like this, and in the process lose sight of the larger picture. Without knowing the particulars, it's hard to say what's going on here. I hope the OP makes a wise choice, given all of the things to consider.

Search this Thread