FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hong Kong and Macau (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hong-kong-macau-436/)
-   -   Bridge from Terminal 1 to North Satellite Concourse (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hong-kong-macau/1840873-bridge-terminal-1-north-satellite-concourse.html)

ailiton May 5, 2017 12:48 pm

Bridge from Terminal 1 to North Satellite Concourse

I'm not kidding. This may become reality in a few years.

The Airport Authority (the “Authority”) is planning to construct an elevated passenger corridor in the form of a bridge spanning over the existing taxilane between the North Satellite Concourse (NSC) and Terminal 1 (T1) (i.e. the Works). The new elevated passenger corridor will accommodate retail facilities, moving walkways, lifts and escalators. The Works will be carried out in a live airport operating environment with minimum disruption to airport operation. The Works will be procured under a design and construct contract (the Contract).
https://www.hongkongairport.com/eng/...tion-to-tender

Rami Tamimi May 5, 2017 11:56 pm

I like this idea, a bridge (like the one in LGW) would make it much easier to get to the NSC and would also probably reduce the congestion on the tarmac (not sure if the latter problem actually exists).

Given that this is HK, rest assured they will fit that bridge with plenty of food/shopping outlets to recover the investment quicker. Just look how many outlets does the MTR manage to fit in the corridors of some busy stations.

garykung May 6, 2017 12:33 am

Another stupidity.

This could be avoided when the Airport Authority re-configure the APM for roundtrip purpose.

Also - this will be costly as most gates between North Satellite and the Main Building are designed for wide-body jets.

ChrisLi May 7, 2017 9:57 pm

Originally Posted by garykung (Post 28275009)
Another stupidity.

This could be avoided when the Airport Authority re-configure the APM for roundtrip purpose.

Also - this will be costly as most gates between North Satellite and the Main Building are designed for wide-body jets.

NO. North Sat. Terminal is designed for Narrowbody. Mid-field and Main Terminal is designed for Wide Body.

garykung May 7, 2017 10:25 pm

Originally Posted by ChrisLi (Post 28281792)
NO. North Sat. Terminal is designed for Narrowbody. Mid-field and Main Terminal is designed for Wide Body.

Maybe my wording leading to your confusion.

The issue I raised is related Taxilane B7 and B9 with associated gates E15, E16, E17, E18, E19 and N20, N22, N24, N26, N28.

E15 has been frequently used by A388. So if HKG wants to build a bridge connecting Main Building with North Sat., the bridge's clearance will have to accommodate A388.

A388's height is 24m. So to be safe, the bridge has to be, at the minimum, 30m.

Guess how much does it cost to build a bridge like this, as well as every accessory?

BTW - moving A388 to other parking gates will NOT resolve the issue as those gates are also used by B777s as well, which their height is about 19m.

rkkwan May 8, 2017 3:15 am

Who cares about cost? You think the Airport Authority or the Government or the DAB legislators do?

Anyways, a proposed pedestrian bridge in West Kowloon will cost HK$3.5b or about US$450m. 69m in length, 7m wide. Using Google Earth, I measure the distance between the North Satellite Concourse and T1 to be about 265m. You do the maths.

KrazyTrain18 May 8, 2017 7:19 am

Very interesting proposal, and for the first time a decision that I'm not a fan of. As Gary has pointed out, the T1 gates near and around the proposed bridge location are generally utilized by either 777, A350 or A380 aircraft which have quite a high vertical clearance around 24-25M. I know that the AA, DAB and government generally aren't concerned with price, but I don't understand what they would be getting in return, the investment doesn't make sense IMO. Traffic to/from the NSC is relatively small in the grand scheme of daily operations and to use the argument that by alleviating the bus transfer it would ease congestion on the tarmac is simply false. Tarmac congestion is much more related to ATC delays on departure and runway saturation. It will be very interesting to see how this progresses, I hope they come to their senses on this one.

ailiton May 8, 2017 11:18 am

Some airports have similar bridges (Gatwick, KLIA2...). I don't see the construction of such to be a problem. As a passenger, I would much prefer walking over a bridge then taking the stupid bus.

ailiton May 8, 2017 2:06 pm

I just heard that they are going to modify N22 into a narrow body gate and the bridge will start from there.

garykung May 8, 2017 3:05 pm

Originally Posted by ailiton (Post 28284142)
Some airports have similar bridges (Gatwick, KLIA2...). I don't see the construction of such to be a problem. As a passenger, I would much prefer walking over a bridge then taking the stupid bus.

No one has ever said the construction is a problem. Instead, it is all about the costs.

As a passenger, I agree with you that I would much prefer walking over a bridge then taking the stupid bus. However, when there is no significance in time saving, I would not mind taking a bus ride to ease on my ticket price.

Oh...I seem to forget to mention who will pay for the bridge, right?

Think 3rd runway.

maortega15 May 13, 2017 3:08 pm

Just going to cause more turbulence landing on 25R. :rolleyes: