Old Apr 10, 17, 5:46 pm
jsg
Original Poster

Transfering at HK Airport

Hi
1st time to fly into HK...
I land on a sunday 1:50pm
Connecting back out at 3:45pm

Is that enough time to make my flight or am I asking for problems...From what I read I believe I have to pass thru immigration but I have no checked luggage...only carry on...any advise would be much appreciated.
Old Apr 10, 17, 10:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by jsg View Post
Is that enough time to make my flight or am I asking for problems...
More than enough unless there is a delay.

Originally Posted by jsg View Post
From what I read I believe I have to pass thru immigration but I have no checked luggage...only carry on...any advise would be much appreciated.
There are transfer areas. Check HKG's website for detail.
Old Apr 10, 17, 10:21 pm

You're question is impossible to answer as you've provided no details.

Is the flight booked on one ticket with one PNR?
Which airline are you flying in on and which airline are you flying out with?

If it's one booking, you'll be fine.
If it's two bookings, I wouldn't risk it personally - though I am sure people have done it.
Old Apr 11, 17, 3:14 am

Programs: TK Elite, HH G
Even on separate tickets the OP will most likely make the connection unless the incoming flight is seriously delayed. Almost two hours to make the transfer at HKG is plenty of time as the OP will not have to go through immigration and customs (when no checked luggage) but may proceed directly to security check and departures area/level. I agree, check the HK Airport website for information.
Old Apr 11, 17, 9:03 am
jsg
Original Poster

Thanks
I land on Cathay Pacific(1;50) and transit back out on Garuda(3:45)...both business class so I should be off the plane fairly quickly ...
Old Apr 11, 17, 1:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OneSky Alliance Elite+ with Zirconium and oak leaf cluster, Braniff Unobtainium
Did you need to ask the same question in two different forums?

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/catha...hong-kong.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/help/rules.php#crossposting

Cross-Posting

Don't post your topic more than once. Duplicate threads or posts will be deleted, combined or locked. You may cross reference a post in another forum. For example, if you are questioning whether American Airlines or United Airlines may be the best fit for you, post the primary question in perhaps the American forum and then post a link to that thread in the United forum.
Old May 9, 17, 10:11 am

Programs: UA, US, AA, Hyatt Platinum, Hilton Gold, & PC
I don't want to highjack this thread but looking to go to Beijing and will have 1 hour layover. Will be flying Cathy Pacific with checked luggage.

Barring any flight delays I should have enough time, correct?
Old May 10, 17, 7:46 am
Suspended

Programs: None any more
Yes - Cathay-Cathay MCT at HKG is 50 minutes. Cathay wouldn't have sold you the ticket (assuming it is one ticket) if the connecting time was below minimum.
Old May 15, 17, 1:53 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium | AY Silver
How about this one. Flying in with Hk express from Jeju with luggage and from HK fly with Tigerair to Singapore. Have to pick our luggage up, me and my partner, and check them in again. All in exactly two hours and 5 minutes. Are we asking for trouble or is it doable if rush a little? It's on september 1st. It's a friday. Arriving in HK at 9.55am.

Have sent an email to Hk express if they are able to send our luggage automatically to Tigerair flight but no respond. Haven't booked our tickets yet but will have to soon.
Old May 15, 17, 4:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by joakgarp View Post
Are we asking for trouble or is it doable if rush a little?
Trouble.

Your 125-minute connection time is in fact 65 minutes, given that most airlines impose a 60-minute cutoff given that you have to check a baggage.

So a small delay, no matter how small, can terminate your trip easily.
Old May 16, 17, 12:45 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium | AY Silver
Originally Posted by garykung View Post
Trouble.

Your 125-minute connection time is in fact 65 minutes, given that most airlines impose a 60-minute cutoff given that you have to check a baggage.

So a small delay, no matter how small, can terminate your trip easily.
Thanks man. Will look for a new set of tickets.
Old Aug 15, 17, 10:48 pm

I am flying business on United with a flight scheduled to land in HKG at 6:45 PM. My connecting flight to SIN is also business on United scheduled to depart at 8:25 PM. I assume, especially with it being a UA connection, that I will be okay, but I do have a little anxiety with international travel.

Thank you for any advice.
Old Aug 15, 17, 11:40 pm
Suspended

You'll be absolutely fine. MCT at HKG is less than an hour. You'll have about 60 minutes in the lounge if the inbound is on time.

(This assumes that any checked bags are checked through. I assume UA still does that!)
Old Aug 16, 17, 9:57 am

Originally Posted by christep View Post
You'll be absolutely fine. MCT at HKG is less than an hour. You'll have about 60 minutes in the lounge if the inbound is on time.

(This assumes that any checked bags are checked through. I assume UA still does that!)
Thank you so much for the assurance! I really appreciate it. I am business to HKG, and I am first for my UA flight to Singapore. Is there a specific lounge you recommend? Thank you!
Old Aug 16, 17, 11:07 am
Suspended

The best lounge at HKG is the CX First Pier. On UA, no idea I'm afraid!

Search this Thread