Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Hong Kong and Macau
Reload this Page >

Lunch on a Sunday morning

Lunch on a Sunday morning

Old Mar 16, 17, 11:06 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: AKL
Posts: 52
Lunch on a Sunday morning

I'm flying into HK early on a Sunday morning and I would like to get an early lunch.

I am wanting to eat after 9am (my stomach clock believes it 2pm) and would really like to get some barbeque (mmm roast duck!) or something stir fried/spicy ... not much into broth/noodles.

As most places don't seem to be open closer to midday (I typically fly through HK on a weekend so ) , in the past I have just grabbed whatever I can ...which usually means steam buns at a convenience store.

I will be spending most of the day around Mongkok/Sham Shui Po (it's like Sardines at Mongkok in early Sunday afternoon, so want to head there by 11).
pseudo is offline  
Old Mar 16, 17, 8:22 pm
  #2  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Earth. Residency:HKG formerly:YYZ Business: ATL, PVG, PEK, CAN, SZX, MNL, SIN, KUL, BKK, SGN, CPT, UIO
Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Posts: 10,290
Originally Posted by pseudo View Post
I'm flying into HK early on a Sunday morning and I would like to get an early lunch.

I am wanting to eat after 9am (my stomach clock believes it 2pm) and would really like to get some barbeque (mmm roast duck!) or something stir fried/spicy ... not much into broth/noodles.

As most places don't seem to be open closer to midday (I typically fly through HK on a weekend so ) , in the past I have just grabbed whatever I can ...which usually means steam buns at a convenience store.

I will be spending most of the day around Mongkok/Sham Shui Po (it's like Sardines at Mongkok in early Sunday afternoon, so want to head there by 11).
​​​​​​
BBQ shops are not ready with the day's roasts until lunch time. Fresh BBQ is not a breakfast item.
tentseller is offline  
Old Mar 17, 17, 5:37 am
  #3  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: AKL
Posts: 52
I did some digging and found Yat Lok has Sunday opening at 10am.

Yat Lok - 34-38 Stanley St, Central

Wondering if they will have full menu that early, or as tentseller mentioned, they won't have the roasts ready until noon.
pseudo is offline  
Old Mar 19, 17, 11:41 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Programs: MP, BR
Posts: 373
Originally Posted by pseudo View Post
I did some digging and found Yat Lok has Sunday opening at 10am.

Yat Lok - 34-38 Stanley St, Central

Wondering if they will have full menu that early, or as tentseller mentioned, they won't have the roasts ready until noon.

Central is on the opposite side of the harbor where Mongkok/Shumshuipo is. Maybe you can try to traditional Cantonese restaurants in those areas? Besides dim sum you can get stir fry noodles/rice etc. Also BBQ pork and roast pork is usually available there as part of the dim sum menu.
Chromie25 is offline  
Old Mar 20, 17, 1:12 am
  #5  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Earth. Residency:HKG formerly:YYZ Business: ATL, PVG, PEK, CAN, SZX, MNL, SIN, KUL, BKK, SGN, CPT, UIO
Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Posts: 10,290
Originally Posted by Chromie25 View Post
Central is on the opposite side of the harbor where Mongkok/Shumshuipo is. Maybe you can try to traditional Cantonese restaurants in those areas? Besides dim sum you can get stir fry noodles/rice etc. Also BBQ pork and roast pork is usually available there as part of the dim sum menu.
Most dim sum restaurants that have BBQ on the menu does not offer them at opening time.
My experience is around 11-11:30am when they are available.
tentseller is offline  
Old Mar 20, 17, 1:49 am
  #6  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: AKL
Posts: 52
Tim Ho Wan is open from 9am on Sunday in Sham Shui Po ... I read a lot of mixed reviews (but it would be good to try a place with a Michelin star)

Do you think its possible to find some take-out roast duck (or goose) at 5pm, so I can take to the airport?
pseudo is offline  
Old Mar 20, 17, 2:22 am
  #7  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Earth. Residency:HKG formerly:YYZ Business: ATL, PVG, PEK, CAN, SZX, MNL, SIN, KUL, BKK, SGN, CPT, UIO
Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Posts: 10,290
Originally Posted by pseudo View Post
Tim Ho Wan is open from 9am on Sunday in Sham Shui Po ... I read a lot of mixed reviews (but it would be good to try a place with a Michelin star)

Do you think its possible to find some take-out roast duck (or goose) at 5pm, so I can take to the airport?
THW do a few dim sums and do it very well. Expect good dim sum and nothing more.
I have seen their negative review and they seem to written by people who have no idea what dim sum is or have high expectation for the ambiance of M1 star dining base on different regions.

At 5pm, unless you know the place, the duck/goose might have been sitting around since lunch time.
tentseller is offline  
Old Mar 20, 17, 2:39 am
  #8  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: AKL
Posts: 52
any suggestions where it might be good at that time?
pseudo is offline  
Old Mar 20, 17, 4:31 am
  #9  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Earth. Residency:HKG formerly:YYZ Business: ATL, PVG, PEK, CAN, SZX, MNL, SIN, KUL, BKK, SGN, CPT, UIO
Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Posts: 10,290
Originally Posted by pseudo View Post
any suggestions where it might be good at that time?
Where will you be at? I am an Islander and not as familiar with Kowloon side.
tentseller is offline  
Old Mar 20, 17, 4:56 am
  #10  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: AKL
Posts: 52
I need to catch a train from Central to airport anyway, so will be on the Island, as long as its near a MTR station (or a short taxi ride)

Last edited by pseudo; Mar 20, 17 at 4:56 am Reason: grammar
pseudo is offline  
Old Mar 20, 17, 6:04 am
  #11  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Earth. Residency:HKG formerly:YYZ Business: ATL, PVG, PEK, CAN, SZX, MNL, SIN, KUL, BKK, SGN, CPT, UIO
Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Posts: 10,290
Originally Posted by pseudo View Post
I need to catch a train from Central to airport anyway, so will be on the Island, as long as its near a MTR station (or a short taxi ride)
This is on a Sunday? Kam's on Hennessy would probably be you best bet. They are not too far from Wan Chai MTR entrance.

I have other places in mind too but it would not be easy to find and Sunday, like you mentioned, is sardines day all over HK.
tentseller is offline  
Old Mar 20, 17, 9:20 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Tri-State Area
Posts: 4,733
Originally Posted by pseudo View Post
I need to catch a train from Central to airport anyway, so will be on the Island, as long as its near a MTR station (or a short taxi ride)
I've eaten at the airport and enjoyed a decent dim sum and goose meat meal here: https://www.hongkongairport.com/eng/...hine/palo.html
dtsm is offline  
Old Mar 21, 17, 1:25 am
  #13  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: AKL
Posts: 52
Talking

Yung Kee is also at airport!

https://www.hongkongairport.com/eng/...f/yungkee.html

If Kams (or Yat Lok) is too busy or I'm too early for dinner BBQ then plan-b is to head a little earlier to Airport and have something at Yung Kee.

My flight leaves just after 7pm, and I was planning to catch the AE from Central before 5:30 (will already have a boarding pass). I will just catch it before 5pm.

If I get goose at the YK (it's near my gate in departure area), will I be able to take it on the plane?

Last edited by pseudo; Mar 21, 17 at 2:57 am Reason: Duck Duck Goose!
pseudo is offline  
Old Mar 21, 17, 4:06 pm
  #14  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: SEA, but up and down the coast a lot
Programs: OneSky Alliance Elite+ with Zirconium and oak leaf cluster, Braniff Unobtainium
Posts: 18,575
Originally Posted by tentseller View Post
THW do a few dim sums and do it very well. Expect good dim sum and nothing more.
I have seen their negative review and they seem to written by people who have no idea what dim sum is or have high expectation for the ambiance of M1 star dining base on different regions.
Yeah... it's good stuff but they didn't get a Michelin star because of crystal water glasses, linen napkins, artisanal local organic chicken, etc.

eponymous_coward is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: