Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Hong Kong and Macau
Reload this Page >

Help me make an accommodation decision, please!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2017, 6:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver

OK, I have this narrowed down to two...

I'm attending a conference at HKCEC.

Can get a suite at the Renaissance with lounge access, harbour view and no early check in, or for just under half the price can get a mid-range room at the Dorsett Wanchai with a guaranteed 8am check in plus free minibar (and some other bits). (It's a very good deal on the suite at the Ren, btw).

Obviously the Ren wins on location, but my flight lands early in the morning and with no Marriott status I'm going to be bottom of the pile for an early check in.

The saving (about HK$3k) would more than pay for taxis between the two locations and the cost is deductible as a business expense.

Any thoughts on what I should do? Any smart ideas on how to get an early check in at the Ren without paying the earth for it?

Thanks
Old Feb 8, 2017, 6:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Surely the Ren will give you lounge access while you wait for the room, although they're not obligated to feed you breakfast when you arrive. Does this make a difference?
Old Feb 8, 2017, 7:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Pay for early check in at Ren or leave bags with Bell desk and hang out at their lounge/club.

The Dorsett at WanChai is not close to the Harbour front. Taxiing is not a viable option as the availability of them at CEC at peak hours is not easy and hailing one at Dorsett could be a real pain.

This is my HK commute from Stubb's Rd to office at WanChai waterfront. I usually get room at Ren (suite for entertainingly) or Gloucester Luk Kwok (bed and personal rest breaks) if I have commitment over a few days at CEC.
Old Feb 8, 2017, 7:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tentseller
Pay for early check in at Ren or leave bags with Bell desk and hang out at their lounge/club.

The Dorsett at WanChai is not close to the Harbour front. Taxiing is not a viable option as the availability of them at CEC at peak hours is not easy and hailing one at Dorsett could be a real pain.

This is my HK commute from Stubb's Rd to office at WanChai waterfront. I usually get room at Ren (suite for entertainingly) or Gloucester Luk Kwok (bed and personal rest breaks) if I have commitment over a few days at CEC.
Thanks - that's really very helpful.

I e-mailed the Ren about early check in but they wanted me to book a room for the previous night at a rate about 30% higher than I'd got from Marriott themselves!

Just had another look and see they have a 3 for 2 offer on at the Ren, although seemingly only for standard rooms. So my choice would be a studio suite for 2 nights at $5500 or a standard room with no lounge access for 3 nights at $4300...
Old Feb 8, 2017, 6:33 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Swiss Tony
Thanks - that's really very helpful.

I e-mailed the Ren about early check in but they wanted me to book a room for the previous night at a rate about 30% higher than I'd got from Marriott themselves!

Just had another look and see they have a 3 for 2 offer on at the Ren, although seemingly only for standard rooms. So my choice would be a studio suite for 2 nights at $5500 or a standard room with no lounge access for 3 nights at $4300...
Why not see if Marriott will match your Hilton Gold to Marriott Gold.If I remember correctly(its been yrs since I wasnt a Plat) Golds get Lounge Access and that may get you into a room before official time but not 8am.
Old Feb 9, 2017, 7:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by craz
Why not see if Marriott will match your Hilton Gold to Marriott Gold.If I remember correctly(its been yrs since I wasnt a Plat) Golds get Lounge Access and that may get you into a room before official time but not 8am.
That seems like a bit of a stretch, given my HH gold expires at the end of the month anyway.

Land at 7am, so maybe I'll grab a shower at the airport arrivals lounge then head over to the hotel after that...

Any thoughts on the Harbourview hotel? Their refurbished rooms look good (but they aren't going to put duff photos up, I guess...)
Old Feb 10, 2017, 9:15 am

Programs: FT
I have never seemed to have an issue with getting an early check in at the MO or LMO in my stays there over the years. They have been very accommodating and both hotels are more than willing to allow you to use the spa/pool/showers. The same for the Ritz this past March and MO in Sept. Both had no issues with early check in or as an alternative, go for a swim, shower, shaving kit and get changed for stroll or in one case, to work.

It was very enjoyable to use the pool at the Ritz shortly after arrival with my daughter even though our room was not ready until 2pm anyway and we had a lovely swim, I had a fantastic dry sauna a little nap on the lounger by the pool and change and off to lunch at Tin lung heen....
Old Feb 11, 2017, 9:09 pm

Ime, HK luxury hotels are the most generous when it comes to early check-ins. Without meaningful status, I've been able to do morning check-ins into the likes of IC, Grand Stanford, Shangrila, etc. However, it would obviously depend on the occupancy and also the room type.

Assuming Renaissance offers similar flexibility as the above hotels and you're not hitting a high-occupancy period, you might have a decent chance of being allowed morning check-in... if it weren't for the fact that you want to stay in a suite. You'd probably have a much better chance if you're booked into a standard room at the Renaissance.
Old Feb 12, 2017, 3:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by evergrn
Ime, HK luxury hotels are the most generous when it comes to early check-ins. Without meaningful status, I've been able to do morning check-ins into the likes of IC, Grand Stanford, Shangrila, etc. However, it would obviously depend on the occupancy and also the room type.

Assuming Renaissance offers similar flexibility as the above hotels and you're not hitting a high-occupancy period, you might have a decent chance of being allowed morning check-in... if it weren't for the fact that you want to stay in a suite. You'd probably have a much better chance if you're booked into a standard room at the Renaissance.
Thanks for that.

The thing is, the suite with harbour view was - at the time of booking - cheaper than the club room with a harbour view. I guess I could always offer to take a downgrade at check-in. Or I just hope it's not raining & go sleep by the pool for a few hours!
Old Feb 13, 2017, 11:28 am

The arrivals lounge access is quite limited and only for CX/KA passengers - I seem to recall from a separate thread you're on CX but maybe in premium economy? Best to check out the policy.

It's quite a different league, to put it mildly, but you could always drop your bags at your hotel and sleep in one of the hourly hotels in Wan Chai for a few hours. They're not glamorous but for a hot shower and sleep, perfectly serviceable. At that time you could get a cheap rate for a few hours.
Old Feb 13, 2017, 3:00 pm

Programs: FT
No lounge access to Cx arrivals on y+.

there is this option though. But if OP is looking for something free, then won't help.

​​​​​​​https://www.plaza-network.com/location_detail?airport=Hong%20Kong%20Internationa l%20Airport&city=Hong%20Kong&location=Plaza%20Prem ium%20Lounge%20(Arrival%20Hall)
Old Feb 13, 2017, 9:58 pm

Programs: CX Diamond
The Dorsett is actually at the bottom of happy valley opposite the racecourse (junction of Wong Nai Chung Road and Queens Road East). While it is an OK hotel (I've run meetings there) it is not a patch on the Renaissance

It is a poor location for taxis given how busy the roads are.

The only plus is it is nearer to The Roundhouse which has 26 beers on tap :-)

As mentioned above the Ren should give you access to the club lounge + the fitness centre to freshen up.

Definitely go for the Ren
Old Feb 13, 2017, 11:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Noted on the CX arrivals lounge - I have a DragonPass which gives me access to the Plaza arrivals lounge.

Thanks

Tony
Old Feb 14, 2017, 7:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Call the Ren when you arrive and see if they can accommodate you. If not Plaza arrival lounge with sleep room wille your backup.
Old Feb 14, 2017, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tentseller
Call the Ren when you arrive and see if they can accommodate you. If not Plaza arrival lounge with sleep room wille your backup.
Thanks - I was thinking about something like that, but i've also got the Marriott app on my phone now which will apparently alert me when the room is ready, too.

Those sleep rooms at the Plaza lounge are $$$ though. HK$600 for 3hrs. Not sure whether I get a discount with the Dragon Pass or not???

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.