Community
Wiki Posts
Search

overnight stay in HKG when on F ticket?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2016, 9:21 am
Original Poster

overnight stay in HKG when on F ticket?

I'll be flying from REP-HKG-ORD in July on a mileage ticket from AA. the flight from REP lands in HKG around 11 pm and then the flight departs HKG the next morning at 11 am. this ticket is a mileage ticket in first class.. what are my options in HKG overnight? should i book a hotel? should i simply go and explore the city? is there anything to do overnight? i searched but couldnt find any recent information. thanks
Old Dec 1, 2016, 11:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I would get a hotel on the island myself. Btw, you posted in the Asia Miles forum; you'll find more relevant info in the HK forum.
Old Dec 1, 2016, 12:52 pm

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
Originally Posted by moondog
I would get a hotel on the island myself. Btw, you posted in the Asia Miles forum; you'll find more relevant info in the HK forum.
Yes, I am moving this thread to the HK forum.

cxfan1960
CX CoMod
Old Dec 1, 2016, 1:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by omaralt
I'll be flying from REP-HKG-ORD in July on a mileage ticket from AA. the flight from REP lands in HKG around 11 pm and then the flight departs HKG the next morning at 11 am. this ticket is a mileage ticket in first class.. what are my options in HKG overnight? should i book a hotel? should i simply go and explore the city? is there anything to do overnight? i searched but couldnt find any recent information. thanks
Maybe not 24/7 but check out LKF, Lockhart Rd or Temple St to see what you like.

Otherwise get a hotel and enjoy a morning dim sum breakfast before heading to airport.
Old Dec 1, 2016, 5:45 pm

Programs: Free agent!
By the time you get out of the airport and get into the city, it will most likely be midnight. I'd lean towards getting a hotel near the airport at one of the usual suspects (the Marriott SkyCity, Novotel at Tung Chung or Regal Airport Hotel) and just stay there. Your other option would be to stay somewhere immediately above Kowloon or Hong Kong Station but I'd rather save time and stay at one of the three aforementioned hotels.

Knowing the way FT works, I'm also assuming OP wants to spend some time in the lounge prior to departure, which will cut into morning time in the city, so he/she might as well just stay near the airport.
Old Dec 1, 2016, 7:00 pm

Programs: CX MPO DM, Le Club Accor Platinum, World of Hyatt Explorist
I've tried Novotel Tung Chung for overnight connections, they have free shuttles and the price isn't as expensive as Royal and Marriott
Old Dec 2, 2016, 3:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
On the basis of those flight times, I would be saying just stay at an airport hotel, too.

A few years back I used the Tung Chung Novotel and it was very good, with the transfer working well.

Gives you time for breakfast in the lounge & you'll be in good shape for the flight.
Old Dec 3, 2016, 11:56 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Howabout: Airport Express to Kowloon station and walk upstairs into the Elements Mall and go into the W hotel? Works for me.
Also if you get on the Airport express after midnight, which might happen you would only pay a one way fare for the return journey.
Old Dec 4, 2016, 4:40 am
Suspended

Programs: None any more
Originally Posted by antipest
Also if you get on the Airport express after midnight, which might happen you would only pay a one way fare for the return journey.
Are you sure about that? Most MTR things for "same day" mean "same service day", i.e. the end of each day is when the service closes for a few hours overnight.
Old Dec 4, 2016, 5:03 am

Howabout: Airport Express to Kowloon station and walk upstairs into the Elements Mall and go into the W hotel? Works for me.
Aex closes at 11p.
Old Dec 4, 2016, 5:38 am
Suspended

Programs: None any more
Originally Posted by moondog
Aex closes at 11p.
Er, no - that last train from the Airport, and the last train from HK to the airport are both at 00:48.

http://www.mtr.com.hk/en/customer/se...ble_index.html
Old Dec 4, 2016, 6:17 am

Originally Posted by christep
Er, no - that last train from the Airport, and the last train from HK to the airport are both at 00:48.

http://www.mtr.com.hk/en/customer/se...ble_index.html
Apologies for not being clearer. I was hung up on "from the airport" in the context of the op and the after midnight same day return idea.
Old Dec 4, 2016, 5:25 pm

I don't think much of anything is going to be open in the mall during the time that the OP would be there. Plus, it seems a bit insane to pay a lot to stay at W for just an 8-9hr stay. Views of HK skyline at night gets less and less stunning as you get closer to midnight and beyond as more and more buildings turn off lights.

I think I would stay near the airport (in which case the highlight could be the hotel's breakfast buffet... Marriott has a good one. or do the airport lounge).

If the OP wants to do things and make something out of his short layover, I'd stay somewhere cheap in Kowloon (eg, Holiday Inn, Kowloon Hotel, BP International). Late at night, he/she could hit Tsui Wah then maybe Knutsford Terrace for a bit then, if possible, wake up early to stroll through Kowloon Park and/or down the TST harbourfront before heading back to the airport.
Old Dec 5, 2016, 1:18 pm

Programs: Free agent!
Another negative about staying above Kowloon or HK Station is that if OP is not familiar with Hong Kong, you still have to actually find the hotel and get to it from the station, even if it is a connected complex. Taking the W hotel as an example, the Elements shopping centre is quite large and navigating that at around midnight doesn't strike me as being a lot of fun.
Old Dec 6, 2016, 7:48 am
Original Poster

thanks for all the replies. this is my first time in hong kong so i want to balance between staying someplace not too difficult to get to and to actually see the city a bit. I have an overnight layover on both the incoming and outgoing flights (ultimate destination is REP; you would think CX and KA would better align their flights?). So i'm considering getting an airport hotel for the inbound flight, but on the return to simply stay out all night.. i'll see. .i still have plenty of time to decide, but thanks for all the suggestions

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.