Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Airport Express - going to Central returning from Kowloon

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5, 2016, 12:43 pm
Original Poster

Airport Express - going to Central returning from Kowloon

I am thinking of buying a "klook" return for the Airport Express. If i buy one for Central can i use the return portion to travel back to the Airport from Kowloon?
Old Nov 5, 2016, 3:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Notsofreq
I am thinking of buying a "klook" return for the Airport Express. If i buy one for Central can i use the return portion to travel back to the Airport from Kowloon?
Yes.
Old Nov 5, 2016, 4:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by moondog
Yes.
+1 You simply won't get the difference back, if there is anyway.
Old Nov 6, 2016, 3:14 am
Original Poster

Thanks for confirming
Old Nov 6, 2016, 3:45 am

Programs: RJ Gold, AZ E+, Air Asia Platinum
I remember being close to Hong Kong station and decided to pop in and check in,so I purchased the 100HKD ticket...I then went back home (Kowloon side) and got the AEX from there.No problems whatsoever.
Old Nov 6, 2016, 1:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by Rami Tamimi
I remember being close to Hong Kong station and decided to pop in and check in,so I purchased the 100HKD ticket...I then went back home (Kowloon side) and got the AEX from there.No problems whatsoever.
Bonus question: Let's say you do In-City Check-In at Kowloon Station and use an Octopus to pay for the Airport Express. It will charge you the AE fare for Kowloon at that point, even though you may not get on the train (you have 24 hours to go through the train turnstiles and have that trip covered by the charge made during in-city check-in). Within 24 hours, you go through the AE train turnstiles at Hong Kong Station. Is it smart enough to charge your Octopus just the difference in fare between Kowloon and Hong Kong trips to the airport? Or do you get away with not paying the extra fare? Or does it not link up your previous fare payment at Kowloon and charge you a full fare?
Old Nov 6, 2016, 7:59 pm

Originally Posted by Steve M
Bonus question: Let's say you do In-City Check-In at Kowloon Station and use an Octopus to pay for the Airport Express. It will charge you the AE fare for Kowloon at that point, even though you may not get on the train (you have 24 hours to go through the train turnstiles and have that trip covered by the charge made during in-city check-in). Within 24 hours, you go through the AE train turnstiles at Hong Kong Station. Is it smart enough to charge your Octopus just the difference in fare between Kowloon and Hong Kong trips to the airport? Or do you get away with not paying the extra fare? Or does it not link up your previous fare payment at Kowloon and charge you a full fare?
It will again charge you the full fare from Hong Kong Station, so I assume just adding 10 HKD will get you a red cross. Learned it the hard way myself. Can't say if there's any recouse if you approach the counter though before/after the charge, long line at the time and in a rush.

This was ~4 years ago and i have not made this mistake again (fortunately). Maybe the rules have changed, but at the time that stunt cost me 190 HKD
Old Nov 6, 2016, 8:14 pm

Originally Posted by Steve M
To be honest, I don't know how this will work "IT wise",but MTR staff in HK are extremely efficient,so if you approach them in HK station after the platform gate rejects your card (due to low balance),they will be able to cancel the original transaction (90HKD) and charge you again (100HKD).

If you had enough balance on your card and were charged 100+90,then again you can approach MTR staff in the airport and they will cancel and refund your 90HKD charge.

The easiest way to do it though is to ask the MTR staff (you can't do it using the machines) to issue you a ticket from Hong Kong station and charge you 100HKD there.
Old Aug 5, 2017, 10:12 am

UPD:

If using Octopus and doing an "open jaw" in HK, you will be charged the average fare:

Airport>Hong Kong <>Kowloon>Airport (or vv): (110+100)/2=105
Airport>Tsing Yi<> Kowloon> Airport (or vv): (65+100)/2=82,5
Airport>Tsing Yi<> Hong Kong>Airport (or vv): (65+110)/2=87,5

If you are using a paper ticket, you would have to buy the ticket to/from the most expensive station out of the two.
kaka likes this.
Old Aug 5, 2017, 10:26 am
Suspended

Programs: None any more
Good to know - thanks for the new knowledge Mr Tamimi!
kaka likes this.
Old Oct 19, 2017, 3:48 am

Programs: Asia Miles
anyone know any promo code if buying online via Klook or other websites?
Old Oct 20, 2017, 12:25 am

Originally Posted by kongwkeong73
anyone know any promo code if buying online via Klook or other websites?
There's a $10 discount for the first booking via the Klook app (code: mobile10).

Also Visa card promo for app and online: https://www.klook.com/promo/visa/

And just seen this for (1) SIM + Airport Express and (2) Save $100 with $1,000 spend:
https://www.klook.com/promo/fallwint...ce=site-banner

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.