Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Hong Kong and Macau
Reload this Page >

How to Get an Uber at Hong Kong Airport?

How to Get an Uber at Hong Kong Airport?

Old Aug 8, 16, 10:09 am
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Uber just pulled out of China so does that apply to HK?

Is there Didi or whatever it's called? Oh I guess their app. isn't in the US App Store so moot point.
Old Aug 9, 16, 10:09 am

Programs: DL Diamond, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by vh_bu98 View Post
Yes they are since they should be UberXL. I had never heard of an Alphard before so I was standing in front of the Landmark Mandarin Oriental looking for a nice car to show up and wondering where it was until the driver called me and he was right in front of me. It was definitely disappointing since I've used UberX before that were luxury cars.
Ha, I took UberBlack twice in Ho Chi Minh City and got Kia Rondos both times... Those make the Alphard's look luxurious.
Old Aug 9, 16, 10:44 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT
Originally Posted by ChiefNWA View Post
Ha, I took UberBlack twice in Ho Chi Minh City and got Kia Rondos both times... Those make the Alphard's look luxurious.
Were the Rondos black?
Old Aug 9, 16, 12:22 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by seawolf View Post
Were the Rondos black?
White and silver... Both had leather seats though!
Old Aug 9, 16, 10:23 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Platinum, GE
Originally Posted by wco81 View Post
Uber just pulled out of China so does that apply to HK?

Is there Didi or whatever it's called? Oh I guess their app. isn't in the US App Store so moot point.
If HK drives on the other side, has different laws and jurisdiction, different currency systems, why would it 'apply to HK' for something happening in the PRC?
Old Aug 10, 16, 4:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by G-CIVC View Post
If HK drives on the other side, has different laws and jurisdiction, different currency systems, why would it 'apply to HK' for something happening in the PRC?
That's why Uber is illegal in Hong Kong, but not in the PRC.
Old Aug 10, 16, 4:59 pm
Suspended

It's not about protecting the monopoly licensing on cabs?

One time I took a cab, it reeked in there.
Old Aug 11, 16, 5:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by wco81 View Post
It's not about protecting the monopoly licensing on cabs?
Instead of protecting the monopoly, I would say it is an attempt to secure government revenue (a taxi license costs more than USD$500,000 per taxicab).
Old Aug 11, 16, 6:16 am
Suspended

Programs: None any more
Eh? In the secondary market they cost that, but how does the government get any revenue from their resale?
Old Aug 11, 16, 7:18 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Platinum, GE
No, a taxi license is very valuable, because it is in limited quantity. If Uber enters the market their value is going to drop further. And of course the social pro-government elite holds a significant share of taxi licenses, so you know...
Old Aug 11, 16, 10:37 am
Suspended

Programs: None any more
That may well be so, but it's not what garykung asserted.
Old Aug 11, 16, 11:06 am
Suspended

HK has such great transportation most of the time you don't need taxis.

Though I've read that taxi drivers don't want to service the airport because they could make more in the same amount of time with shorter rides in the city.
Old Aug 11, 16, 11:37 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by christep View Post
That may well be so, but it's not what garykung asserted.
The HK GOV could care less about $500k USD. In fact, no new taxi licenses have been issued for the last 20 something years, because the HK policy on transportation is very anti-road-transport. Which is why taxi licenses are as expensive as apartments.
Old Aug 11, 16, 2:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by G-CIVC View Post
The HK GOV could care less about $500k USD. In fact, no new taxi licenses have been issued for the last 20 something years, because the HK policy on transportation is very anti-road-transport. Which is why taxi licenses are as expensive as apartments.
FWIW - Transport Department recently issues several licenses:

http://www.td.gov.hk/en/transport_in...ransport/taxi/

Hong Kong's policy on transportation is not anti-road-transport. The main reason is about government revenue.

Although most operators are private parties, their operations are regulated by the Government. In order to operate, they have to pay significant license/franchising fee to the Government. To the Government, taxi is never a major mode of transportation. Instead, it is used to supplement existing public transportation.

So why is the license as expensive as an apartment? The Government does not get any portion of the income after the license has been issued (except income tax and necessary fees). As the Government controls the number of licenses issued, the heavy license fee is to justify the Government's need in revenue.

Then why is Uber illegal? Regardless what the law says, the main reasons? The Government can't control the situation and get a piece of the pie.
Old Aug 11, 16, 7:41 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by garykung View Post
FWIW - Transport Department recently issues several licenses:

http://www.td.gov.hk/en/transport_in...ransport/taxi/

Hong Kong's policy on transportation is not anti-road-transport. The main reason is about government revenue.

Although most operators are private parties, their operations are regulated by the Government. In order to operate, they have to pay significant license/franchising fee to the Government. To the Government, taxi is never a major mode of transportation. Instead, it is used to supplement existing public transportation.

So why is the license as expensive as an apartment? The Government does not get any portion of the income after the license has been issued (except income tax and necessary fees). As the Government controls the number of licenses issued, the heavy license fee is to justify the Government's need in revenue.

Then why is Uber illegal? Regardless what the law says, the main reasons? The Government can't control the situation and get a piece of the pie.
FYI, these are not new issues but merely re-sales so the government gets pretty much nothing out of these bids, so your information is not exactly correct

Uber is technically not totally illegal in HK. A lot of Uber blacks are licensed to carry paying third-party pax. It's just that this license is very expensive so some of them and I guess most UberXs don't have them, so if accidents happen the passenger cannot be compensated from insurance for the car. The government claims to be 'doing good' for HKers by cracking down on Uber.

In fact, the crackdown was perceived as just a show to comfort those with vested interests in the taxi industry. They've hardly cared since - it was the government that invited Uber to set up its game in HK to begin with.

And going even further, Uber model is not quite sustainable in HK as heard from a lot of negative sentiment from drivers. There can hardly be a 'rideshare' model in HK - streets are congested, parking is at an extreme premium, gas and maintenance costs are high - most UberX drivers have been making little and not been satisfied much.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: