Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Hong Kong and Macau
Reload this Page >

Lounge access in Hong Kong

Lounge access in Hong Kong

Old Jul 10, 16, 2:59 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Programs: Qantas, Virgin Australia
Posts: 2
Lounge access in Hong Kong

I have an 8 hour layover in Hong Kong and I would like to get a little sleep during this time. Should I get a hotel room or will one of the lounges I have access to have sleep facilities? I am booked in First Class on an Emirates flight from DXB to HKG and transferring to a Malaysian Airlines Business Class flight to KL. I have Platinum Virgin Australia status and Gold Qantas (One World) status. Any suggestions?
Willym is offline  
Old Jul 10, 16, 5:36 pm
  #2  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: ZOA, SFO, HKG
Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Posts: 10,414
Originally Posted by Willym View Post
...transferring to a Malaysian Airlines Business Class flight to KL...
This is conclusive enough. You will get all the CX J lounges access.

If you don't mind the noise, then CX J lounges are good ways to save money.
garykung is offline  
Old Jul 11, 16, 3:45 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: AUH
Posts: 7,397
Head to the new Cathay Pier Business lounge located near Gate 65. They have comfortable relaxing sofas which will be good for a couple hours of shut-eye.
stargold is offline  
Old Jul 11, 16, 6:15 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: SYD | HGH
Programs: CX DM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton DM, Marriott Plat
Posts: 1,934
what time are you arriving and departing? HK airport doesn't open 24 hours.
Ausriver is offline  
Old Jul 11, 16, 8:25 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 367
Originally Posted by Ausriver View Post
what time are you arriving and departing? HK airport doesn't open 24 hours.
The airport is open 24 hours, but only a few stores are open all night (7/11, McDonalds and similar).

I do believe that the Cathay lounges are open from 5.30am until 00.45am. So most of the day.

I've only been there once, but I really prefer the Qantas lounge to the Cathay ones. Far quieter *during the day, because the Qantas flights all leave at night*, better food and generally nicer.
TravelDream is offline  
Old Jul 12, 16, 7:51 am
  #6  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Programs: Qantas, Virgin Australia
Posts: 2
Originally Posted by TravelDream View Post
The airport is open 24 hours, but only a few stores are open all night (7/11, McDonalds and similar).

I do believe that the Cathay lounges are open from 5.30am until 00.45am. So most of the day.

I've only been there once, but I really prefer the Qantas lounge to the Cathay ones. Far quieter *during the day, because the Qantas flights all leave at night*, better food and generally nicer.
I arrive at 06:20 and depart at 14:45. I like the idea of a nice quiet Qantas lounge but the daybeds in The Pier sound good too. Thanks for the advice.
Willym is offline  
Old Jul 12, 16, 10:12 am
  #7  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Shanghai
Posts: 30,370
Originally Posted by Willym View Post
I arrive at 06:20 and depart at 14:45. I like the idea of a nice quiet Qantas lounge but the daybeds in The Pier sound good too. Thanks for the advice.
With the 620a arrival, you could connect with every HKG-KUL flight on the schedule prior to 245p (e.g. the 845a MH flight).
moondog is offline  
Old Jul 14, 16, 9:49 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: SYD | HGH
Programs: CX DM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton DM, Marriott Plat
Posts: 1,934
You might want to post a F lounge request If you've got 6 hours to spear
Ausriver is offline  
Old Jul 15, 16, 12:43 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: YYZ
Programs: AMEX AC CX UA AA DL
Posts: 2,908
Originally Posted by Willym View Post
I arrive at 06:20 and depart at 14:45. I like the idea of a nice quiet Qantas lounge ....
Doesn't open until 9:30
beep88 is offline  
Old Jul 24, 16, 8:37 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: UK
Programs: Emirates Skywards Silver
Posts: 384
The Emirates lounge at HKIA is very limited. There are showers but so far as I am aware there are no sleeping facilities and the food offerings are at best 'iffy' - well that's my experience anyway
steveben53 is offline  
Old Jul 25, 16, 2:12 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 367
Originally Posted by beep88 View Post
Doesn't open until 9:30
Yes that's right.

It might be a good idea to visit it when it opens though, as it will be much quieter than the CX lounges.
TravelDream is offline  
Old Jul 25, 16, 2:22 am
  #12  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: ZOA, SFO, HKG
Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Posts: 10,414
Originally Posted by steveben53 View Post
The Emirates lounge at HKIA is very limited. There are showers but so far as I am aware there are no sleeping facilities and the food offerings are at best 'iffy' - well that's my experience anyway
Correct me if I am wrong.

I don't think OP has access to the Emirates lounge, as OP is arriving HKG, rather than departing from HKG.
garykung is offline  
Old Jul 25, 16, 7:01 am
  #13  
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: UK
Programs: Emirates Skywards Silver
Posts: 384
Originally Posted by garykung View Post
Correct me if I am wrong.

I don't think OP has access to the Emirates lounge, as OP is arriving HKG, rather than departing from HKG.
Sounds to me like the OP has an 8 hour layover and so far as I am aware he will have access to the Emirates lounge - I may well be wrong on this tho
steveben53 is offline  
Old Jul 25, 16, 7:30 am
  #14  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: ZOA, SFO, HKG
Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Posts: 10,414
Originally Posted by steveben53 View Post
Sounds to me like the OP has an 8 hour layover and so far as I am aware he will have access to the Emirates lounge - I may well be wrong on this tho
OP is arriving from an Emirates flight and departing by a Malaysia Airlines flight.

Even assuming OP is a Emirates Skywards Gold, which should have the best lounge access policy than J class alone applies to him, Emirates has clearly indicated that:

The lounge access benefit is available only when traveling onwards on an Emirates flight.
Since I don't know if the lounge can be used for arrival purpose (despite locating in the secured area), this is why I am not sure if I am correct.
garykung is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread