Dim Sum

Old Oct 13, 2017, 1:52 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Pickles
It's pretty mediocre and full of star-chasing poser beautiful people. For that price point, head over to Lung King Heen at the FS, or the Man Wah at the Mandarin.
i did recommend Duddel's a while back too and would also point out that Pickles doesnt like it.
Old Oct 13, 2017, 2:28 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Trying to keep the list complete:
Originally Posted by evergrn
Tsui Han Village is a good rec. I personally have not been there in a few years, though.
Obviously the original post was about TST dimsum places as I see.
Anyways,
Tsui Hang Village is cheaper cousin of the same group as Cuisine Cuisine (in IFC in Central, and Mira Hotel in TST).

THV in TST is ok, but dont go to the Cuisine Cuisine in TST (similar price point with many of evergrn's mentionings but rather badly managed. the IFC shop has the big bosses of the group and better clientele so is better).

the one in IFC is, however, much better than the both.

Originally Posted by jamar
Also, someone earlier mentioned that Luk Yu has good food, but mediocre service if you're not a regular that tips well. Does this mean slow service? Waitstaff attitude issue? Something else? Location looks pretty good otherwise, even if I have to give up "takes credit cards" or "near an MTR station".they take cards (not sure about AMEX but i think they do), and they are <10 minutes from exit D2
I was also looking at was Lin Heung. Is the food good with a very short answer, no. but many items you cannot find it elsewhere unless at obscure areas. you'll be here for the atmosphere and experience, of what dim sum was about many moons ago. if you want good dimsum, go to fook lam moon, the hotels, or other suggestions up/down thread., even if we have to fight for it? I mean, the friends I'm traveling with are the "up for anything type" so it's an experience if nothing else, but maybe we'd rather pass if we end up with OK food at the end of it.
see bolded. too lazy to respond properly

Originally Posted by Dimsum Mum
I work in Sai Ying Pun and we go to Saam Hui Yaat - 11 Pokfulam Rd quite often.
this is a very cool suggestion, if one wants to wander out of the english speaking area (then again, i wouldnt expect lin heung to be english ok. luk yu, maybe (i never tried but you never know what some waiter can handle)

Originally Posted by garykung
Maxim 's Palace is a shithole IMHO.
not surprised you said this as you commented about the other chain with a central processing facility. I would very much agree too (to 99% of all maxims, with a few that an outsider may not know it's a maxim.) Except their City Hall branch is the very few dim sum parlours that still uses a push cart.
The others are a) Lin Heung (where you need to go to the cart and fight for food) and b) Metropol Rest at United Center "on top of" Admiralty MTR Station. (let me know if there are others)

Since im so bored i might as well start a wiki for dimsum....
Old Oct 13, 2017, 6:17 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by kaka

Since im so bored i might as well start a wiki for dimsum....
That would be very kind!
Old Oct 13, 2017, 8:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by kaka
i did recommend Duddel's a while back too and would also point out that Pickles doesnt like it.
Duddel's is good but they are a dining club wanna be.
Old Oct 21, 2017, 12:21 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Dim Sum Library was good. Food items were solid, staff ok. I wouldn’t have a problem returning there.
Old Nov 12, 2017, 5:56 pm

I really love Fu Sing Shark Fin Seafood restaurant for Dim Sum. It's mid-range, and I'm usually the only gweilo in the place. I can't resist eating a whole plate of char siu by myself, and they have the same yummy bo lo cha siu bao that THW has but with better quality meat. I also love the mango/pomelo/sago cream dessert. Nom nom nom.
Old Nov 13, 2017, 1:35 pm

North Point

What's the best dim sum near North Point MTR? And wherever that place is, do you think there will be a wait at 1.30-2pm? (When I say best, I still need it to be a place without stiff dress code like Lung King Heen... I'll probably be in shorts then.)

There's a Lei Garden there. I've never been to that location, and the last dim sum photo on Openrice is from ~4yrs ago. Do they still do dim sum?
Old Nov 13, 2017, 6:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by evergrn
What's the best dim sum near North Point MTR? And wherever that place is, do you think there will be a wait at 1.30-2pm? (When I say best, I still need it to be a place without stiff dress code like Lung King Heen... I'll probably be in shorts then.)

There's a Lei Garden there. I've never been to that location, and the last dim sum photo on Openrice is from ~4yrs ago. Do they still do dim sum?
Fung Shing on Java Rd near Tram terminus. For exact location look them up on openrice.com.
You might have to be able to read Chinese and communicate.
Old Nov 13, 2017, 6:33 pm

Thanks.
Place looks good. Language thing could be a problem. I don't know Cantonese at all. Openrice shows one menu that's been only partially translated to English (and a bit dodgy with two different items both called "steamed dumpling"). We'll take a walk by and see.
Old Nov 13, 2017, 7:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Steamed dumpling is a safe generic translation for anything and everything.

You can do what all the American Born Chinese do: have photos of all their favourite dish on the phone and show them to the server.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 2:56 am

Programs: Travel
i think you may also try kungfu dim sum, it has english menu on it
Old Nov 15, 2017, 12:17 am

Originally Posted by tentseller
Steamed dumpling is a safe generic translation for anything and everything.
lol. Steamed dumpling indeed would cover half the dim sum items, so who am I to criticize such translation.

Originally Posted by Atri
i think you may also try kungfu dim sum, it has english menu on it
Thanks for the rec, but Openrice rating distribution is not very good, though. 21 good, 14 okay.
Old Dec 6, 2017, 8:23 pm

Just got back from HKG. Sorry, plans changed and we ended up not going to North Point. I made a couple of dim sum reservations, but plans kept changing and had to cancel both.

But I found out a great way to have dim sum, which I hadn't thought of before. Whether you're staying at IC, Conrad, Four Seasons, Langham or Shangri-la, if your hotel is high-end, there is a great dim sum restaurant on-site. Just so happened we were in our hotel room with dim sum craving ~12,30pm on a Saturday. Too late to make a reservation. So I headed down to my hotel's dim sum restaurant and asked for take-out. They said they'll have them sent up to our room. I only ordered like 4 items. Staff brought them up to our room on a cart with table cloth, plates, napkins, chili sauce, dim sum in baskets and platter, the whole nine yards. Only thing missing was tea, but the room has tea and tea set. Same prices as the restaurant, no room service fee or any other surcharge. And we didn't get charged 80HKD or whatever you normally get charged to have tea for 4 people when dining in.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.