Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Landing slip in passport

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2016, 9:57 am
Original Poster

Landing slip in passport

Hi, I understand that Hong Kong issues landing slip with entry date instead of passport stamps. Just curious to know, will this landing slip be collected when I depart Hong Kong? Thanks.
Old Jun 5, 2016, 10:22 am

Programs: AA Plat, DL Silver, MR Plat, nobody everywhere else
Not in my experience (though it's been a few years). I've got quite a few of them sitting around.
Old Jun 5, 2016, 11:18 am
Suspended

Programs: None any more
No they won't. The slip is simply to remind you of your limit and conditions of stay. The relevant data is stored on ImmD's computers, and that's what they look at.
Old Jun 5, 2016, 12:06 pm

They don't collect it, and they don't issue you an exit slip, either.

(Macau also uses slips instead of stamps these days.)
Old Jun 5, 2016, 12:57 pm
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
Maybe this isn't the most relevant place to ask this followup, but what is the point of passports any more with slips like this? I mean if in the future, every country moves to such a system, what happens? Is there / was there some agreement between countries that a passport would allow each other to check on where a person has been? What happens then? Will there be a global sharing of the records for security purposes?
Old Jun 5, 2016, 1:31 pm

I suspect the next step would be using cards like the American passport card, though probably with fingerprints encoded. Then maybe someday doing away with the cards and relying on fingerprints only.

Not to say any of this will be happening soon.

As to passports as a record of travel, there's never been a requirement that countries stamp in or out, so a passport is not and never has been a definitive record of the holder's travels.
Old Jun 5, 2016, 10:28 pm

I seem to recall that they do collect them back sometimes. Went back and forth from HK to Macau, Shenzhen a few times during my recent stay.

I seem to have fewer slips now than I should have and remember a customs officer taking one out and keeping it whilst giving me a new one at least once.

Didn't feel like making a stink about it. (I never mess with border officials.)

I actually prefer a stamp for tradition's sake. These slips look like grocery store receipts and, being loose, can be lost.

Further, they're on that cheap thermal paper that'll fade over time.

I like the different country stamps physically on my passport. And I like the officiality of the imprint's "thunk".
Old Jun 6, 2016, 7:19 am

In HK they do keep the carbon copy of your immigration form when you depart, but so far as I know, never the printed entry slip (which actually doesn't seem to fade).

In any event, if you want a record of your HK exits and entries you can get one from the Immigration Department, but only going back ten years.
Old Jun 6, 2016, 12:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
What would happen if you left HKSAR by means of (non-private) transportation where there were no border controls or agents when you departed so no record 9or collected exit form)?
Old Jun 6, 2016, 12:31 pm
Suspended

Programs: None any more
Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
What would happen if you left HKSAR by means of (non-private) transportation where there were no border controls or agents when you departed so no record 9or collected exit form)?
I imagine that next time you try to enter HK there would be a flag raised about your illegal exit.
Old Jun 6, 2016, 1:04 pm

You mean like swim across Starling Inlet to Shenzhen? Of course there are laws requiring you to complete immigration clearance when entering or leaving the territory. If you don't get cleared when leaving, Immigration will record you as an overstayer. That's not good.

Given that few swim their way out of Hong Kong, the most common exit/entry method that doesn't encounter a physical barrier is by ship. And in that case, you're supposed to anchor at a designated place and await clearance, unless you qualify for Special Arrangements.

http://www.mardep.gov.hk/en/pub_serv...an/pdf/imm.pdf
Old Jun 6, 2016, 1:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold

Left on a freighter (as big as the biggest cruise ships in existence). Just driven straight to the dockside (security at the HIT 9 gate and they just waved the car through a they knew the driver whose sole job is to drive crew members to and from ships).

So what's the next step? One possibility is the ship having sent crew and passenger manifest to the authorities on departure.

Last edited by YVR Cockroach; Jun 6, 2016 at 1:29 pm
Old Jun 6, 2016, 1:54 pm

Those are no doubt the Special Arrangements I mentioned:

"Under the special arrangements, the master will not be required to anchor the yachts at immigration anchorage for immigration examination, provided that he or his representative presents, within 24 hours before the intended departure or after the arrival of the yacht in Hong Kong waters, the documents mentioned above to the Harbour Control Office at 2nd floor, Central Government Pier, 32 Man Fai Street,Central for examination."

That's from a notice for yachts, but similar arrangements exist for commercial ships.
Old Jun 22, 2016, 8:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
So is there absolutely no way to get your passport stamped in the old-skool way?
Old Jun 22, 2016, 10:14 am

From the official FAQ:

Q: Can the visitor request stamping on his/her travel document so as to keep the travel record?

A: Upon implementation of non-stamping immigration clearance arrangement, the immigration counter officers will not stamp on the visitors’ travel documents.

http://www.immd.gov.hk/eng/useful_in...clearance.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.