Search

What to do when the weather is bad

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2016, 5:44 am
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E50k, A3*G, UA*S, MR Titanium, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold, NEXUS
What to do when the weather is bad

I'll be landing in HKG at 12:50 May 31 and leaving 07ish June 5. The forecast tells me I'm looking at scattered thunderstorms all week. I've been to HK before ; my traveling companion hasn't. Last time, the weather was perfect, so I didn't really have any trouble finding what to do, but the equation changes a bit when there are thunderstorms. Does the main thing for tourists become museums and the like when the weather is poor? I'd hoped to take the crystal cabin to see the Buddha after my flight, but that certainly doesn't seem viable anymore...
Old May 28, 2016, 7:41 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, *A Silver
The Peak Galleria is weather-proof, but the view might not be so good. You can get good view at the IC or Serenade restaurant even if it is rainy. Avoid the streets as dense population + umbrellas is no fun. Also, scattered thunderstorms are what they are, and that is... scattered. So don't let that ruin all your outdoor plans.
Old May 29, 2016, 7:17 am

Plenty of small restaurants in interesting neighbourhoods like Mongkok and Shamshuipo: just snack your way through the day.

Further, most buses, along with the HK Island tram, are double-decker. Get yourself a seat right upfront and watch Hong Kong pass by.
Old May 29, 2016, 6:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: None any more
It's going to be hot and sticky with very occasional showers out to Friday according to the HK Observatory. Maybe a bit more rain on Saturday, but it's still likely to be a few showers. It's very very unlikely to rain for hours on end.
Old May 30, 2016, 3:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by pewpew
Does the main thing for tourists become museums and the like when the weather is poor?
No. Hong Kong is still running unless the weather condition is so severe enough for HKO to issue warnings (like Black Rainstorm and Typhoon).

So you can continue whatever you plan you are doing. But don't expect your experience is as pleasant as when the weather is good.

Side note - rain clothes.

Originally Posted by pewpew
I'd hoped to take the crystal cabin to see the Buddha after my flight, but that certainly doesn't seem viable anymore...
1. There is another way around.

2. NG360 stops running if the wind speed exceeds the limit, even with a clear sky.

Originally Posted by christep
It's going to be hot and sticky with very occasional showers out to Friday according to the HK Observatory. Maybe a bit more rain on Saturday, but it's still likely to be a few showers. It's very very unlikely to rain for hours on end.
A side note - HKO tends not to be accurate in term of weather forecast.
Old May 30, 2016, 8:18 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by garykung
A side note - HKO tends not to be accurate in term of weather forecast.
We can agree to differ on this. I find the HKO weather forecast to be as accurate as any other.
Old Jun 1, 2016, 4:39 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, *A Silver
We can agree to differ on this. I find the HKO weather forecast to be as accurate as any other.
Disagree to disagree.

HK weather forecasts are good, but summer thunderstorms are less predictable.
Old Jun 4, 2016, 4:50 am

Programs: UA Plat 2MM, Delta Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott cardboard
Using 20/20 hindsight, the weather here (in HKG) has been pretty decent for May. I only had to deploy my umbrella a couple times from 5/24 -- 6/4.
Old Jun 4, 2016, 10:06 am
Suspended

And it was pretty much exactly thus, disparagers of the HKO notwithstanding.
Old Jun 6, 2016, 5:36 am
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E50k, A3*G, UA*S, MR Titanium, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold, NEXUS
Originally Posted by dulcamara
Using 20/20 hindsight, the weather here (in HKG) has been pretty decent for May. I only had to deploy my umbrella a couple times from 5/24 -- 6/4.
I enjoyed the weather

Not so much the humidity. Also, the one day it rained (while I was in HK), I ended up slipping on an escalator and getting a nice, big gash in my forearm.

...And on that note, thanks for all the suggestions!
Old Jun 8, 2016, 2:03 am

I left a few days ago but the month of May wasn't too bad.

I'm not an experienced traveller but HK was my first taste of an extended period of serious humidity. I recall numerous days of arriving back at my flat quite damp and feeling in need of an immediate shower.

Fortunately, it wasn't roasting hot in HK. I've been in 40+ in Greece and Turkey and let me tell you, that was unpleasant. I really didn't want to do anything outside.

I did museums and shopping when it was raining. Or because I had the luxury of an extended stay in lovely HK, I stayed in for the one day it rained considerably. It petered out by 6pm if I recall and I went out in the cooler-than-average evening that the rain caused! ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.