Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Renting a speedboat in Hong Kong

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2016, 6:15 am
Original Poster

Renting a speedboat in Hong Kong

The title says it all. Would it be easy to rent a speedboat in Hong Kong for private sailing? (I hold an EU license.)

In addition, how much would mooring or dock fees in Macau cost for one or two days?
Old May 12, 2016, 8:39 am
Suspended

Programs: None any more
You can't drive a HK-registered speedboat unless you have a HK licence as far as I know.
Old May 12, 2016, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Rent/Hire one with a licensed captain.
Old May 12, 2016, 9:10 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by christep
You can't drive a HK-registered speedboat unless you have a HK licence as far as I know.
Too bad.

About TurboJET, I see that they have two different vessel models on the Hong Kong - Macau route: the regular one and the premier jetfoil. Do you have any information about their fleet? I could not care less for service and food on such a route but I do care about how smooth the sail is. In addition, do you know if they have assign a seat to each reservation? I would not want to risk standing up, it's not that short a trip after all.

Last edited by mmff; May 12, 2016 at 9:12 am Reason: Add TurboJET URL for future reference
Old May 12, 2016, 9:11 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tentseller
Rent/Hire one with a licensed captain.
Do you recommend that I contact any particular company? PM me if you prefer not to post it here.
Old May 12, 2016, 8:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
Originally Posted by mmff
Too bad.

About TurboJET, I see that they have two different vessel models on the Hong Kong - Macau route: the regular one and the premier jetfoil. Do you have any information about their fleet? I could not care less for service and food on such a route but I do care about how smooth the sail is. In addition, do you know if they have assign a seat to each reservation? I would not want to risk standing up, it's not that short a trip after all.
Premium jetfoils can be Boeing 929 or Kvaerner Foilcats. Regular sailings can be 929, can be FBM Tricat. The Boeings and Kvarerner are much smoother, as you might expect. I don't use it, but this app or others may show real time which sailing use what model. Might take some time to figure out:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....MacaoSailings

There's no advanced seat reservations. Seats are assigned when you get to the gate, using old-fashioned "sticker on your ferry ticket" method. So, once you go through immigration and get to the gate, go get your seat assignment first before sitting down to wait or look around.

I hope you're joking, but there's no standing.
Old May 12, 2016, 9:30 pm
Suspended

Do you recommend that I contact any particular company? PM me if you prefer not to post it here.
Not sure how big you're looking for, but try: http://www.intimate-charters.com if a Mustang 2800 fits the bill.
Old May 13, 2016, 1:52 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rkkwan
Premium jetfoils can be Boeing 929 or Kvaerner Foilcats. Regular sailings can be 929, can be FBM Tricat.
Thanks. I'll try to do the outbound on the 929 and the return on the Kvaerner. Too bad that you can't guarantee the economy seat on the 929, as I do not really care for the first class seat on a 1-hour boat ride. (I'm assuming all vessels are equally clean. Good assumption?)

Originally Posted by rkkwan
I hope you're joking, but there's no standing.
I was indeed joking, should have included a smiley at the end of the line.
Old May 13, 2016, 1:59 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by christep
Not sure how big you're looking for, but try: http://www.intimate-charters.com if a Mustang 2800 fits the bill.
The Mustang 2800 would fit the bill, we'll be a party of 4 or 5. Have you dealt with this company before? Their combined sea cruise and hiking tours look good but I'd like to have first-hand reviews.

Also, how likely would it be that the skipper lets me take the helm? I'd be happy to 'tip' if that would make a difference.
Old May 13, 2016, 2:17 am
Suspended

The Mustang 2800 would fit the bill, we'll be a party of 4 or 5. Have you dealt with this company before? Their combined sea cruise and hiking tours look good but I'd like to have first-hand reviews.

Also, how likely would it be that the skipper lets me take the helm? I'd be happy to 'tip' if that would make a difference.
Sorry - should have declared an interest - if you opt for a cruise & hike then you might get me as the hike leader! There are reviews on the Facebook page. Bear in mind that it is getting pretty hot, so climbing hills can be hard work!

And it may well be possible to take the helm for a while if you're in open water with not much around, but you'd need to make Peter comfortable with you doing so - he is quite safety-minded. Tipping wouldn't be a factor.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.