Wiki Posts
Search

6 hour layover HKG - rainy day in the forecast

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2016, 5:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Exec Plat
6 hour layover HKG - rainy day in the forecast

Flying in to HKG on Thursday at 2pm. Connecting flight doesn't leave until 8pm.

Originally planned on heading in to town for a few hours, but the forecast calls for rain all day

Is it still worth heading to town, or would you stay in the airport? (We are flying in F and have invitations to the lounges)

Thanks in advance
Old Mar 22, 2016, 7:17 pm

Programs: CX MPO DM, Le Club Accor Platinum, World of Hyatt Explorist
It really depends what you intend to do in town, I normally go to IFC, just to look at shops, its right above the AEL station so rain won't be a problem. If you intend to go around...it could be tricky.

By the way, if you have big carry-ons you can deposit them (for a fee) in the station.

Originally Posted by beershack

Originally planned on heading in to town for a few hours, but the forecast calls for rain all day

Is it still worth heading to town, or would you stay in the airport? (We are flying in F and have invitations to the lounges)

Thanks in advance
Old Mar 22, 2016, 7:22 pm
mxr

Programs: CX DM
Originally Posted by beershack

Thanks in advance
Its quite disgusting these days so if it was me Id stay in the lounge.. but then again I live here. If you're in town often enough then just stay there and avoid dealing with this nasty weather.
Old Mar 22, 2016, 8:11 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA & SPG Plat
I would head into Hong Kong. Plenty of thing to do and eat even if the weather's horrible outside. As nice as the lounges are, 6 hours is just too much to kill/waste at an airport.
Old Mar 22, 2016, 8:15 pm

Programs: QF SG(LTS) - AA LTG(1MM)
There's the S1 bus (@HKD3.50 each way) to Tung Chung and the outlet mall... Food court is a lot better than airport (but not first class standard)

It may be without eChannel immigration clearance staying airside would be the choice.

Happy wandering

Fred
Old Mar 22, 2016, 8:31 pm

Programs: CX DM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton DM, Marriott Plat
you could either go to IFC or elements, both are great shopping centre and both are at the other side of the airport express. weather would have nothing to do with it. Enjoy.
Old Mar 22, 2016, 9:32 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

It's a bit dicey given your time restraints, but I think photos of Nathan Rd. after sundown and in the rain are always memorable.
Old Mar 22, 2016, 9:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP, A3 Gold
Take the Airport Express to Central, then go a few stories up to Tim Ho Wan and get an order of the bbq pork buns. You will thank me. Hong Kong Station Podium Level 1, IFC Mall.
Old Apr 15, 2016, 8:06 am

Programs: was UA 1K now Gold, cuz UA 1.3 MM; HA,DL,AS (no status in these), Marriott Gold
Similar question but timing tighter

In about a month have a layover at HKG on the way to SGN. Scheduled arrival is 6:40pm, connection to SGN 11:05 pm, both flights on UA. The theoretical connection time is 4 hr 25 min. Allowing for immigration & return to airport & the on-going departure formalities, seems like the "free" time is (maybe) 2 hrs & this would be in the evening rather than daytime. Suggestions? Or just tough it out in a lounge (although the UA lounge is likely to still be closed for renovation).
Old Apr 15, 2016, 9:33 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, HH Gold, Marriott Gold Elite
Originally Posted by BH62
In about a month have a layover at HKG on the way to SGN. Scheduled arrival is 6:40pm, connection to SGN 11:05 pm, both flights on UA. The theoretical connection time is 4 hr 25 min. Allowing for immigration & return to airport & the on-going departure formalities, seems like the "free" time is (maybe) 2 hrs & this would be in the evening rather than daytime. Suggestions? Or just tough it out in a lounge (although the UA lounge is likely to still be closed for renovation).
What day are you flying? UA 179 leaves at 9:55 pm, not 11:05 pm. It might affect your decision to leave the airport at all.
Old Apr 15, 2016, 3:18 pm

Programs: was UA 1K now Gold, cuz UA 1.3 MM; HA,DL,AS (no status in these), Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by CAPT Tee
What day are you flying? UA 179 leaves at 9:55 pm, not 11:05 pm. It might affect your decision to leave the airport at all.
Am presently traveling, but the itinerary stored on my iPhone clearly says Friday, May 20, 11:05 pm. A quick lookup of flight status for April shows 179 ex-HKG 9:55 pm for Friday & 11:05 pm for this Saturday. Gotta do some research ... hmm, leave SFO Thurs, May 19, arrive HKG on *what* day ... makes head hurt. At least have a month to clarify schedule.

OK, check via UA time table for May, on some(?) midweek days it's 9:55, but 11:05 on (most?) others.

Last edited by BH62; Apr 15, 2016 at 3:32 pm Reason: added time table info
Old Apr 16, 2016, 6:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
On May 20, it is 11:05pm. And yes, you arrive HKG on May 20 if you depart the US on May 19.

But with just 4 hours or so, I'd stay at a lounge, if you have access. Not worth the trouble going out.
Old Apr 20, 2016, 4:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Suggestions? Or just tough it out in a lounge (although the UA lounge is likely to still be closed for renovation).
You will definitely have enough time to Tung Chung for a decent dinner and a short visit.

Other than that, it will be risky.

Originally Posted by CAPT Tee
UA 179 leaves at 9:55 pm, not 11:05 pm.
Datapoint - UA 179 uses different aircrafts based on the days of the week.

On MWFS, UA 159 will continue to UA 179 (GUM > HKG > SGN). UA 116 will use the UA 180 aircraft arrived in the morning (SGN > HKG > GUM) and return to GUM.

For the rest, UA 179/180 will use the same aircraft previously arrived from GUM.

Thus the schedule difference.
Old Apr 20, 2016, 1:43 pm

Originally Posted by garykung
You will definitely have enough time to Tung Chung for a decent dinner and a short visit.

Other than that, it will be risky.

Datapoint - UA 179 uses different aircrafts based on the days of the week.

On MWFS, UA 159 will continue to UA 179 (GUM > HKG > SGN). UA 116 will use the UA 180 aircraft arrived in the morning (SGN > HKG > GUM) and return to GUM.

For the rest, UA 179/180 will use the same aircraft previously arrived from GUM.

Thus the schedule difference.
Appreciate the clarification re UA 179, etc. So it depends. BTW, was on UA 862 (HKG-SFO) for this past Monday that was cancelled & pax were put up overnite in Kowloon for the next day make-up flight. Based on the exit & reentry formalities in just doing that, esp needing to check carry-on baggage somewhere at HKG, seems to make a 4 hr dinner excursion a bit hectic. Now looking at SQ or Thai lounges for the hiatus since the UA lounge may not have reopened by then.
Old Apr 20, 2016, 3:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Based on the exit & reentry formalities in just doing that, esp needing to check carry-on baggage somewhere at HKG, seems to make a 4 hr dinner excursion a bit hectic. Now looking at SQ or Thai lounges for the hiatus since the UA lounge may not have reopened by then.
Although it will be a long walk (as you will disembark at the West Side of the airport), you should not make the decision until you reach the immigration hall, as:

1. SQ SKL is located approximately above the immigration hall.

2. There is an access point for transit next to the immigration hall.

3. HKG-SGN will be mostly departing from North Satellite (Gate 5xx). The shuttle bus to North Satellite approximately below the immigration hall.

You will be able to determine if it is worth the wait (for immigration).

Also, the extra security check is done at gate (after the announced boarding time) per TSA rule (UA is subject to this rule as a U.S. airline, not because of being U.S. bound).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.