Arrivals airport terminal train now packed full

Old Feb 20, 16, 2:44 am
sxc
Moderator, Cathay Pacific
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, BAEC Gold, QF Gold, Hyatt Glob
Arrivals airport terminal train now packed full

Had an interesting experience this week. The train to ferry you to arrivals immigration was full so that no one could get on. It was full from picking up passengers at the new mid field terminal.

Is this a common occurrence? If so, then it's a major oversight of the airport!
Old Feb 20, 16, 3:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
The HK Airport Authority and all the government officials will answer: "That's why we need 3rd Runway"! [As that's the answer to every problem there is in Hong Kong.]

I will answer: "It's just preparing you for riding the MTR in HK".
Old Feb 20, 16, 3:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: statusless these days
I always thought the arrangement where one train was used for inbound exclusively while the other was used exclusively for outbound (so having to shuttle back to the respective passenger start points empty) wasn't a very good decision that limits capacity.

Good thing I'm only flying into HKG this week and hopefully don't have to fly out.
Old Feb 20, 16, 3:48 am
Suspended

Programs: None any more
Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach View Post
I always thought the arrangement where one train was used for inbound exclusively while the other was used exclusively for outbound (so having to shuttle back to the respective passenger start points empty) wasn't a very good decision that limits capacity.
How could it be any other way given separate departures and arrivals areas? If you do as you propose then security would need to be moved to the gates (as at Changi), which is a complete redesign of the airport.
Old Feb 20, 16, 4:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: statusless these days
Originally Posted by christep View Post
How could it be any other way given separate departures and arrivals areas? If you do as you propose then security would need to be moved to the gates (as at Changi), which is a complete redesign of the airport.
Staff to inspect the train compartments between shuttling outbound and inbound pax? Standing room only so there's fewer places to stash stuff? I realise it was an cost decision but to also serves to serves to reduce potential capacity by close to 50%, permanently. Not sure which of increased staffing vs. extra train capacity (or lack thereof) is less costly in the long run.

FCO somehow manages it (or did) with the satellite terminal. Don't remember what the set up is a KUL satellite terminal but I do seem to remember inbound and outbound pax are mixed as far as security goes? Maybe the Italians and Malaysians are more trusting that the U.K.
Old Feb 20, 16, 6:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
The whole train setup is so inefficient. Even before the opening of the the mid-field concourse, why would T2-T1-Gate40/60 requires a switch of train, despite the three being in the straight line?

And what makes most sense is a circular track (or one with a dead-end reverse cross-over track), so trains can operate in a continuous loop at much higher frequency. All it requires is to have one or two staff to make sure all departure passengers get off at the 200 gates; and all arrival passengers get off at T1 arrivals immigration.
Old Jul 25, 16, 12:55 am

Programs: AC*E50K, CX Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by rkkwan View Post
The whole train setup is so inefficient. Even before the opening of the the mid-field concourse, why would T2-T1-Gate40/60 requires a switch of train, despite the three being in the straight line?

And what makes most sense is a circular track (or one with a dead-end reverse cross-over track), so trains can operate in a continuous loop at much higher frequency. All it requires is to have one or two staff to make sure all departure passengers get off at the 200 gates; and all arrival passengers get off at T1 arrivals immigration.
This is already how it works. On the arrival side of the track, once a train has arrived at east hall, it would be cleared out, turned around in the tunnel, and become a train on the departure side.
Old Jul 31, 16, 2:27 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, AA Lifetime Platinum, UA Platinum, DL Platinum, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by sxc View Post
Had an interesting experience this week. The train to ferry you to arrivals immigration was full so that no one could get on. It was full from picking up passengers at the new mid field terminal.
I would imagine that this would happen only for a train or two, as large aircraft are not deboarding continuously from the remote terminal.

This does remind me of an interesting situation I had a couple of years ago. I attended a concert at the AsiaWorld Expo site on the airport island, which is served by the Airport Express line, one stop past the airport. At the end of the concert, there were thousands and thousands of people leaving the Expo at the same time, with essentially all of them taking the Airport Express. There was a huge but well-managed line at the station, but it filled up several successive trains to maximum capacity, with all seats and standing room taken up. Then, the next stop is the airport, ostensibly to pick up arriving passengers with their luggage to take them into town. But there was zero room on the train, and nobody getting off. The look on the faces of some of the airport passengers was priceless, especially since it was 11pm. It seemed to me that they should have or could have left one carriage of the train empty as they left the Expo, so that there would be room for airport passengers, but then again I'm not in charge of the Airport Express.

Search this Thread