Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Hong Kong and Macau
Reload this Page >

AE hotel shuttle - Do I need to have a reservation?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2015, 10:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club

Airport Express Hotel Shuttle. Do I actually have to be staying at one of the hotels on the list to use the shuttle? For example, if I book a hotel near one of the stops, can I still use the shuttle?
Same when getting picked up?

Last time, I dont recall anyone checking, but I want to make sure I didnt just get lucky
Old Nov 7, 2015, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
It's just a bus stop. No reservations, no need to stay at hotel.
Old Nov 7, 2015, 10:55 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rkkwan
It's just a bus stop. No reservations, no need to stay at hotel.
My experience too.
Old Nov 8, 2015, 12:15 am

Programs: Top Tier Flyertalk Member
Do they even check boarding pass now a days?

Was quite tempted to hop on one last time just to get to Elements.
Old Nov 8, 2015, 7:45 am

Programs: BA Gold, JGC Sapphire, OZ Diamond, AF Silver, CX GR, Marriott Lifetime SL
Originally Posted by JordanWalker
Do they even check boarding pass now a days?

Was quite tempted to hop on one last time just to get to Elements.
They can ask you for the event ticket / boarding pass / any proof that you are going to HKIA via Airport Express. Legally you cannot take the shuttle bus to just go to Elements.
Old Nov 8, 2015, 2:06 pm

As others have said, you don't need to be staying at any particular hotel. You just need to have taken the Airport Express. However, taxi is dirt cheap in HK and so you may want to just take the taxi instead. AE shuttle bus isn't worth it if your hotel isn't the first or second stop on the route or if you're not traveling light (limited luggage rack space onboard). In fact, a year or two ago, I took the free shuttle to Sheraton for the first time in a while only because Sheraton was the first stop. What a mistake that was... had to wait at least 10min, then the shuttle was jampacked with people. Luggage rack filled up in a hurry, and so folks were standing in the aisle with suitcases. Not easy to get out once we got to Sheraton. So we don't bother with AE hotel shuttles anymore. But on the return taxi from hotel to HK/Kowloon Station, you just have to be careful not to be pressured by the taxi driver into letting him drive you all the way to the airport.
Old Nov 8, 2015, 4:18 pm

We are a family of 3= 2 adults and a young child and have heavy bags.

What's the convenient and economical way to get to Hyatt TST from the airport at night?

I think the train and shuttle is not going to be easy for us due to heavy luggages and a child.

The next option is to take the public taxi outside the terminal? Just follow sign and wait in line outside? How much would it cost in USD?
Old Nov 8, 2015, 5:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
Blueskyheaven - just take taxi. About US$35.
Old Nov 8, 2015, 7:39 pm

Originally Posted by rkkwan
Blueskyheaven - just take taxi. About US$35.
Any taxis outside the terminal? We arrive at 8:30 pm. Accepts any credit cards?
Old Nov 8, 2015, 10:01 pm

Programs: CX Diamond
Originally Posted by Blueskyheaven
Any taxis outside the terminal? We arrive at 8:30 pm. Accepts any credit cards?
Taxis are a short walk from where you exit the customs halls.

There will be hundreds queuing for fares.

Taxis do not take credit cards
Old Nov 9, 2015, 1:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by Blueskyheaven
What's the convenient and economical way to get to Hyatt TST from the airport at night?
Declaimer - Some of the ways are controversial. All prices are in HKD (USD$1=HKD$7.8).

You have the following choice:

1. Citybus A21 (Airport Bus) - $33/person. The stop is within walking distance of the Hyatt.

If walking is not a possibility. You can get off at the last stop - Hung Hom MTR Station and take a taxi from there. It will be another $28 with baggage fee ($5 each).

2. Airport Express to Kowloon Station with Hotel Shuttle (K3) - $90.

If K3 shuttle is not a possibility. Again - taxi to your recuse: another $35 with baggage fee ($5 each).

3. Taxi all the way - $210 with baggage fee ($5 each).

Except for taxi (cash only), all suggestions above accept Octopus Card, a travel smartcard in Hong Kong, which can be purchased in the airport.

Discounts are available to children under 12.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.