Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Hong Kong and Macau
Reload this Page >

Hong Kong Visa questions

Hong Kong Visa questions

Old Sep 18, 2015, 8:58 am
Original Poster

Hong Kong Visa questions

Hello everybody,

First time post but I have been a member for awhile…

My friend and I would like to experience Emirates’ award winning business class but since most of the business class fares are out of our reach, we decided to go with a short regional route.
We searched the itineraries from Emirates’ website and come up with the following one day trip which will satisfy our need.
BBK – HKG 1 day Round trip on Emirates A380!
Questions are as follows:
My friend is a Thai resident with a Taiwan passport and I am a US National. Does my friend need a Hong Kong visa for this trip?
The flight from Bangkok will land in Hong Kong at 5:45pm and then departs Hong Kong back to Bangkok at 9:15pm. We are not planning to leave the airport at all. Can this be type trip/transit be done without a visa? Would Emirates issue two boarding passes from BKK directly? Would this type of trip trigger any watch list from the airport/airlines due to post 9-11 effect?

Has anyone done any flights as crazy thing as this? We are not Mileage runners. Most of our non-aviation-geek friends think we are two lunatics burning money for no apparent reason and think there are better things and places we can do with the expenses we may encounter. Flyertalk is the only place I can think of where people would understand… LOL

Thank you in advance!

Wants2fly
Old Sep 18, 2015, 9:23 am
Suspended

Programs: None any more
On the specific visa question, Thai citizens get 30 days visa-free entry to Hong Kong. And in any case if you are staying airside you won't touch HK Immigration; only a few nationalities require visas for an airside transit. If you can't get your return boarding pass at BKK then you certainly will be able to at the transit desk airside at HKG. And no, I wouldn't expect such a trip, per se, to trigger any security watchlist.
Old Sep 18, 2015, 9:56 am
Original Poster

Thanks... My friend is just a Thai resident and not a Thai citizen so he does not have a Thai passport.
Thank you for the comment.
Old Sep 18, 2015, 11:02 am
Suspended

Programs: None any more
Originally Posted by wants2fly
Thanks... My friend is just a Thai resident and not a Thai citizen so he does not have a Thai passport.
Thank you for the comment.
Oops, sorry, I misread that. Taiwanese passport holders apparently need a permit even for an airside transit. Details here: http://www.immd.gov.hk/eng/services/...ngement.html#c

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.