Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Question about 回鄉証

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4, 2015, 5:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
Thanks for all of this. It really is quite complicated and daunting, isn't it? I guess I should write an email as you suggested, and attach scans of my passport and birth certificates. I have both a British and a Hong Kong birth certificate.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 4:48 am

Just a question in 回鄉証

Technically you are not supposed to get one if you have a foreign citizenship outside of HongKong/Macau?

if you do take an international flight from China to outside of Taiwan/HK/Macau. What passport can you use?
Old Feb 17, 2019, 6:56 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by londonexpert
Just a question in 回鄉証

Technically you are not supposed to get one if you have a foreign citizenship outside of HongKong/Macau?

if you do take an international flight from China to outside of Taiwan/HK/Macau. What passport can you use?
hksar + hrp
Old Feb 17, 2019, 7:14 am

Originally Posted by percysmith

hksar + hrp
but some countries you may need a visa?
or at least EVisa? Like aust, US
Old Feb 17, 2019, 8:00 am

Well if a HKSAR passport holder planning to travel Australia-China or US-China, he'd be best advised to apply for ETA or B-1 on his HKSAR passport.
Netither HKSAR nor Australian passport holders (my other nationality) need visas for Japan but I made absolutely sure I was travelling on my HKSAR passport for HND-PVG-HKG*.

The sticky point is a dual national. The other country of nationality (e.g. Australia for me) will expect the dual national to use its own passport under master nationality rule.

Technically HKSAR resident Chinese citizens have an exception to the no dual nationality rules by Explanations of 15 May 1996 https://www.immd.gov.hk/eng/resident...inese/law.html . So therefore they (incl me) are allowed to have a foreign passport, a HKSAR paasport and a HRP (which you need a HKSAR passport to apply for) all at the same time.
This is in contrast to mixed children cases in the China forum where they may have a foreign passport and Hukou.
However, I'm not betting every single Exit & Entry officer knows the Explanation, or accepts it.

There aren't many circumstances where this is likely to be a problem in the first place cos a lot of PRC airports have electronic gates that read HRPs, two way permits and PRC passports (both entry and exit)
The only circumstances is if a PRC check in agent decides to also check for PRC residency (not really their job),

*The sticky point was the outbound was HKG-TPE-NGO. I would have been in a bit of a sticky wicket if my TPE-NGO IRROPed and I need to enter the ROC - I'm technically prohibited from entering the ROC a Chinese Citizen as I have entered the ROC as an Australian previously (ROC does not have the Explanations and I was deemed to have given up my claim to Chinese Citizenship according to the ROC by having sought entry as an Australian)

Last edited by percysmith; Feb 17, 2019 at 8:07 am
Old Feb 17, 2019, 10:53 am

Well if a HKSAR passport holder planning to travel Australia-China or US-China, he'd be best advised to apply for ETA or B-1 on his HKSAR passport.
Netither HKSAR nor Australian passport holders (my other nationality) need visas for Japan but I made absolutely sure I was travelling on my HKSAR passport for HND-PVG-HKG*.

The sticky point is a dual national. The other country of nationality (e.g. Australia for me) will expect the dual national to use its own passport under master nationality rule.

Technically HKSAR resident Chinese citizens have an exception to the no dual nationality rules by Explanations of 15 May 1996 https://www.immd.gov.hk/eng/resident...inese/law.html . So therefore they (incl me) are allowed to have a foreign passport, a HKSAR paasport and a HRP (which you need a HKSAR passport to apply for) all at the same time.
)
Thanks

it is not clear from your reference whether dual nationality is allowed:
  1. Chinese nationals of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region with right of abode in foreign countries may, for the purpose of travelling to other countries and territories, use the relevant documents issued by the foreign governments. However, they will not be entitled to consular protection in the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region and other parts of the People’s Republic of China on account of their holding the above mentioned documents.

Old Feb 17, 2019, 12:08 pm

Well if you are allowed to hold foreign travel documents without having to renounce your Chinese ones means you're permitted to keep the foreign nationality as well?

That has been the practice anyway. The whole intent of the Explanations is to ensure the brain drain that went out and got Canadian/Australian/US passports didn't suddenly become illegal on 1 July 2017 - the CPG wanted to let the brain drain come back and stay.

Last edited by percysmith; Feb 17, 2019 at 9:02 pm
Old Feb 18, 2019, 3:25 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
i think the bigger problem is, if you have an HRP and a 3rd country passport (say USA), (assuming obviously) you want to use the 3rd passport to go to the USA.

Would you run into crap showing your US Passport to the checkin agent yet exiting Immigration with HRP.

My guess is you'll be fine, but noone knows if the check-in agent is also performing the political censorship process.

Thanks

it is not clear from your reference whether dual nationality is allowed:
  1. Chinese nationals of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region with right of abode in foreign countries may, for the purpose of travelling to other countries and territories, use the relevant documents issued by the foreign governments. However, they will not be entitled to consular protection in the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region and other parts of the People’s Republic of China on account of their holding the above mentioned documents.

it is allowed.... as long as you are using the passport solely as a travel document (and not getting consular protection before you have renounced the chinese citizenship and that they acknowledge so)
Old Feb 18, 2019, 3:31 am
Suspended

Just a question in 回鄉証

i think now you cannot get one if you were born foreign and naturalized as a HKer. If you're born in HK/Macau then acquired foreign nationality they would turn a blind eye if you dont let them know.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 4:41 am

Originally Posted by kaka
i think now you cannot get one if you were born foreign and naturalized as a HKer. If you're born in HK/Macau then acquired foreign nationality they would turn a blind eye if you dont let them know.
If naturalised as a Chinese Citizen, yes https://www.immd.gov.hk/eng/services..._National.html

Only Chinese Citizen HK Permanent Residents are eligible for HRP.

But if you're naturalised (rather than born into Chinese Citizenship), you have to give up foreign nationality despite having HK permanent residency (i.e. Explanations do not apply to you)
Old Feb 18, 2019, 6:41 am
Suspended

If naturalised as a Chinese Citizen, yes https://www.immd.gov.hk/eng/services..._National.html

i know many situations they have "overlooked" over the years after the handover. and your link does not exactly represent the exact views of CTS...
Old Mar 11, 2019, 9:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
I am late for the party.

Sorry for being picky, but the above statement is not true - Chinese Citizen Macau Permanent Residents are also eligible for HRP as well.
HKtraveller, kaka, :D! and 1 others like this.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 6:54 pm

I have another question regarding HRP.

My HRP will expire in October 2019. However, I will not be in HKG until Feb 2020. If I wish to get another HRP, will I be applying as a renewal or as a new applicant?
Old Mar 28, 2019, 9:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by lavedder
My HRP will expire in October 2019. However, I will not be in HKG until Feb 2020. If I wish to get another HRP, will I be applying as a renewal or as a new applicant?
Renewal. So less documentation is required.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 9:44 am

Thank you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.