E-Channel Hong Kong sticker

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

E-Channel Hong Kong sticker

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2016, 12:47 am

Programs: UA 1K, 1.6MM bis
You should be taking the second option. If I'm not mistaken, HK Immigration considers the e-channel validity to be linked to the validity of the underlying passport. Using the barcode from the old passport would create problems when you exit since you would be using the newly registered passport, not the old one.

FWIW I had to update my e-channel status a few months ago when I renewed my passport. The e-channel official made it a point to remove the barcode from my cancelled passport.
Old Aug 14, 2016, 10:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Originally Posted by dsgtc0408
You should be taking the second option. If I'm not mistaken, HK Immigration considers the e-channel validity to be linked to the validity of the underlying passport. Using the barcode from the old passport would create problems when you exit since you would be using the newly registered passport, not the old one.

FWIW I had to update my e-channel status a few months ago when I renewed my passport. The e-channel official made it a point to remove the barcode from my cancelled passport.
You're probably correct since I would have to return airside and at that point the passport discrepancy would be identified. Just hope it will be a quiet arrival period a 7a on a weekday. And I don't want to ruin my application for the Asian fast track card, nor impact GE/Nexus. Only wish one could make the passport change online (as with GE) and thus be able to use the new passport (e-chip'd) without having to go to the office. Thanks for the advice.
Old Aug 14, 2016, 4:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by Shareholder
Question: If the immigration lines are too long, should I use my old passport with the sticker to go through the E-Channel? Would this be considered an illegal entry? Otherwise, if lines are short, I'd just use a regular lane with my new passport, then go to the office to get it registered.
Well - a canceled passport is not a valid travel document.

You should never use your canceled passport except updating the e-channel enrollment.

What you intend to do can result an adverse record, which the Immigration Department can effectively terminate your enrollment if found.
Old Jul 8, 2017, 2:38 am

Programs: United Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
Slightly hijacking the topic...

I have e-channel access through my frequent flyer program. If I no longer have the same status at the time my passport expires, would I be able to reapply/renew my e-channel access with my new passport based on previously having e-channel, or would I have to have the frequent flyer status at the time of renewal as well?

Thank you!
Old Jul 8, 2017, 5:04 am
Suspended

Programs: None any more
From http://www.immd.gov.hk/eng/services/..._visitors.html

"If there are any changes in the enrolment information, an enrolled passenger has to update the changes in person at the Enrolment Office before continuing to use the e-Channel. The updating service is free of charge."

My guess, just based on 20 years of HK bureaucracy, is that if you simply go in with the old passport with the echannel endorsement and the new passport then they will simply transfer it across without asking again for the FF card.
Old Jul 8, 2017, 12:42 pm

Programs: RJ Gold, AZ E+, Air Asia Platinum
Originally Posted by christep
From http://www.immd.gov.hk/eng/services/..._visitors.html

"If there are any changes in the enrolment information, an enrolled passenger has to update the changes in person at the Enrolment Office before continuing to use the e-Channel. The updating service is free of charge."

My guess, just based on 20 years of HK bureaucracy, is that if you simply go in with the old passport with the echannel endorsement and the new passport then they will simply transfer it across without asking again for the FF card.
+1

Add to that the fact that the airport office staff are very chill (unlike their Wanchai colleagues) and I am sure they would just transfer it across.
Old Jul 8, 2017, 2:40 pm

Programs: United Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Rami Tamimi
+1

Add to that the fact that the airport office staff are very chill (unlike their Wanchai colleagues) and I am sure they would just transfer it across.
Fantastic! Thank you christep and Rami Tamimi for your quick replies!!!
Old Sep 14, 2018, 9:54 am

e channel transfer new passport

Originally Posted by ecobiz
Hey there,

Yesterday I arrived at HKG and enrolled for e-Channel at the office just after the immigration desks. Due to my indiane channer tr citizenship I just needed to fill out the form and had my fingerprints and photo taken. Afterwards I was given a confirmation letter of my successful enrollment. Later I noticed that my passport was attached a sticker on the back saying 'Successfully enrolled for e-Channel'
I do know from other people that normally passports are attached a barcode-sticker that is read by the e-Channel scanner.
Unfortunately I cannot try the e-Channel until tommorow at Lo Wu.
Does anyone know, if I can use the e-Channel though?

ecobiz
Old Sep 27, 2018, 11:02 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Rami Tamimi
+1

Any first-hand experiences with the “transfer?” Same situation here, hoping that I’m grandfathered in to the system.

TIA,
BmB
Old Sep 28, 2018, 1:02 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by BuildingMyBento

Any first-hand experiences with the “transfer?” Same situation here, hoping that I’m grandfathered in to the system.

TIA,
BmB
I transferred to my new pp in wanchai in less than 2 minutes.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 7:10 am

Programs: It's Complicated...
Originally Posted by moondog
I transferred to my new pp in wanchai in less than 2 minutes.
I would imagine the airport process would be about as quick. The real problem is the indignity of having to go through the normal line to get it transferred.
Old Sep 29, 2018, 9:39 am

Programs: Cathay MPC, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Domestic Airline Nobody
Originally Posted by mcgahat
I would imagine the airport process would be about as quick. The real problem is the indignity of having to go through the normal line to get it transferred.
I had to renew my passport prior to one of my previous trips to HK. I carried both passports (old and new) because my Chinese VISA was still in the OLD. I was going to try to use the barcode on the old one to get through eChannel, and then renew. But I realized I couldn't get to the eChannel office if I used eChannel. :-) So... I did wait through the long, senseless line. I then walked down to the eChannel office, AND IT WAS PREMATURELY CLOSED! Grrrr....

Anyway, I went to WanChai later in the trip and it was just 2 minutes to transfer, no questions asked.

What is unclear to me is whether the eChannel ever expires. My USA passport is good for 10 years, but I thought eChannel needed to be renewed periodically. However, I've also read that eChannel is valid as long as your passport is valid.

I suppose if it ever expires then I'll just be unable to get through the doors and will figure it out then. :-)
Old Oct 1, 2018, 4:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by Gongzuokuang
What is unclear to me is whether the eChannel ever expires. My USA passport is good for 10 years, but I thought eChannel needed to be renewed periodically. However, I've also read that eChannel is valid as long as your passport is valid.
You answered your own question only - the expiration of e-Channel access depends on the validity of your document.

Even e-Channel access with HKID expires as well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.