Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Hong Kong and Macau
Reload this Page >

16 hour layover in HKG...!!!

Old May 22, 2014, 4:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: IHG Platinum

Am arriving at 05.00 hrs in the morning and my connecting flight is only at 21.20 hrs in the night, thereby leaving me with a 16 hour layover in HKG airport..

Been looking at some airport hotel options, but nobody seems to be offering 24 grs. check in/ check out .. I would probably need to be back in the airport by about 19.30...
the earliest the airport hotels are offering a check in at would be around 12 pm and I would need to check out again by about 19.30 hrs... But that would mean, from 05.00 till 12.00 I would still be sitting around in the airport....

Any suggestions folks....??
Old May 22, 2014, 4:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Searching the Hong Kong/Macau forum for the term "layover" yielded the following threads, from among others:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hong-...hong-kong.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hong-...-how-easy.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hong-...l-kowloon.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hong-...al-advice.html

It would seem there's a bounty of suggestions. as well as the sticky thread at the top of the forum. Hope this helps.
Old May 22, 2014, 4:55 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
Searching the Hong Kong/Macau forum for the term "layover" yielded the following threads, from among others:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hong-...hong-kong.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hong-...-how-easy.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hong-...l-kowloon.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hong-...al-advice.html

It would seem there's a bounty of suggestions. as well as the sticky thread at the top of the forum. Hope this helps.
Thanks for the links mate...Most of the links are more geared towards stuff to do/ activities on long layovers.... but after having flown 20 plus hours in Economy class, doubt i'd be keen on venturing into the city...more looking at how I could get some sleep in a proper bed at a relatively close proximity to the airport without burning a hole in my wallet....
Old May 22, 2014, 5:20 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

As you probably guessed, there are no convenient budget options near the airport/Tung Chung (the closest urban area to HKG). 5am is tough too - I can't even recommend hostels - but how would you feel about kicking back in a net cafe?
Old May 22, 2014, 5:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BuildingMyBento
As you probably guessed, there are no convenient budget options near the airport/Tung Chung (the closest urban area to HKG). 5am is tough too - I can't even recommend hostels - but how would you feel about kicking back in a net cafe?
kicking back in a net caf.. as in...??
Old May 22, 2014, 5:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by quarryking
Thanks for the links mate...Most of the links are more geared towards stuff to do/ activities on long layovers.... but after having flown 20 plus hours in Economy class, doubt i'd be keen on venturing into the city...more looking at how I could get some sleep in a proper bed at a relatively close proximity to the airport without burning a hole in my wallet....
Hong Kong airport hotels aren't cheap. You can have cheap at someplace like Mirador or Chung King Mansions, but it's not going to be convenient for that schedule (might get charged for two nights). Still might be considerably cheaper than a $200 USD airport hotel room though.

I'd probably either go for a private resting area package at Plaza Premium, take a nap, ditch luggage, go into the city, or, if my budget's not going to cover that, nap in the airport then go into the city. Bring along ear plugs and a sleeping mask.
Old May 22, 2014, 6:12 pm
Original Poster

The Plaza Premium option seems like a good deal .... Must check it out.. Thanks for the suggestion ..
Old May 22, 2014, 6:36 pm

Did you actually try to contact some hotels re earlier check-in? You might get lucky.....
Old May 23, 2014, 2:30 am
Suspended

Or you can do what Cathay Boy do best in Macau.
Old May 23, 2014, 4:10 am
Suspended

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by CanucksHKG
Yeah right sure !!!!! hotshot gambler night owl who cant afford a real hotel in macua. The real gamblers who gamble all night usually have a suite thrown in for free to help them soften the blow of their losses.
Old May 23, 2014, 8:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CanucksHKG
That means spending extra money to go to Macau, though, like $40-50 USD on a jetfoil boat, plus an hour transit time each way. Plus I'm not sure showing up at a, ummm... "massage place" at 7 am in the morning is a great time to be showing up. I don't think that saves money or time on a hotel room, really... and if the objective is just to crash for a few hours immediately after your flight, an hour to Macau (plus having to go into the city, maybe) doesn't seem all that convenient an option.
Old May 23, 2014, 10:16 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, B6, CX, KE, Latitude, VIFP, Crown & Anchor, etc.
Just another idea - depending on OP's day of arrival (weekday is easier) - might want to check out some of the rentals on Tripadvisor under Hong Kong. If the local host has vacancy & willing, email/contact them to see they would do a day room for you, say from 7 or 7:30 AM to 7 or 7:30 PM in the evening, that would give you a bed to crash with a shower, change of fresh clothes or at least underwear's - urrrrh, 20 hours in Y- in the back of the bird (wow, where are you flying in from/connecting thru & out again - not my idea of a good MR) & probably all jet-lagged. Nothing to lose if you still have time to plan & research - worst is that they say no or negotiate the rate, I see a few listing for around $100 USD a night. Be sure to pack your eyeshades & a set of earplugs/headphones as the "flat" could be bright & sunny & it's summertime and humid, just make sure it's air-conditioned.

Take the Airport Express Bus if it's close/walking distance - ask the local host about transport options as AE Train would be nicer/faster only if it's nearby (and you can buy the discounted same-day pass) Grab some breakfast from the airport if you are hungry on your way to town & by the time you get some zzzz's - then roam the neighborhood for a late lunch/early dinner before making your way back to HKIA. If you aren't interested in going to town, perhaps look for something in Tsing Yi or even Tsuen Wan on the MTR train and bus route that's easy to connect, as bus/train signage are bilingual Chinese/English.
Old May 23, 2014, 12:17 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by quarryking
kicking back in a net caf.. as in...??
Internet cafe.

The chairs are often comfortable enough for napping.
Old May 23, 2014, 1:14 pm

Thanks for these posts! I'll be getting into Hong Kong at 6am and have been thinking about what to do before check in time. I'll be there for 2 nights at the beginning & at the end of my trip. I'll now research flats and check my hotel perks to see if I can get an early check in.

Sharon

Last edited by swknoell; May 23, 2014 at 1:15 pm Reason: forgot name
Old May 23, 2014, 10:23 pm

Originally Posted by swknoell
Thanks for these posts! I'll be getting into Hong Kong at 6am and have been thinking about what to do before check in time. I'll be there for 2 nights at the beginning & at the end of my trip. I'll now research flats and check my hotel perks to see if I can get an early check in.

Sharon
Flats as in an apartment?

Early check in is available often especially if you have status. But even if not available, it will be about 7.30 or 8 am when you get to the hotel and you can leave your bags and go out to explore. Have fun!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.