Airport Express Current Discount

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 22, 2015, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: paul00
List of current discounts on the Airport Express

Free travel for children (aged 3-11) and half-price travel for seniors (aged 65+)

From 16 December 2022 to 29 January 2023, Child Octopus card holders enjoy free journeys, while Elder Octopus / JoyYou Card holders enjoy a 50% discount on the Octopus fare. Details available on the MTR website.

Up to 40% off single and return tickets

When purchased in advance online at kkday (https://www.kkday.com/en/product/2425) and you will get a e-redemption voucher QR Code 1-2 hours later, or...
When purchased online from Klook (https://www.klook.com/activity/71-ai...ess-hong-kong/). After payment, you will immediately receive a confirmation email and e-redemption voucher (which is valid for 1 month from the order date), and can use it immediately (as of May 2019)
Hong Kong, Kowloon and Tsing Yi station tickets are available at a discount of around 40% off.

Alternatively, if you pay with an HSBC credit card and the total order amount is at least USD50, you will receive an additional USD5 discount by entering the promo code HSBC18US5 (first order only). For details, see https://www.homeandaway.hsbc.com/1/2...looktravel/all

Note: if you purchase multiple one-way tickets in a single transaction on Klook, you will only be issued a single voucher. If you exchange that voucher, you will receive multiple tickets, valid on the day of exchange only.

If you want to purchase multiple tickets for use on different days (say several different trips) you have to buy single one-way tickets in separate Klook transactions, receive several separate vouchers, and exchange those vouchers on your respective travel dates.

30% off single and return tickets

Use promotion code mtronline when buying a single or return ticket on the MTR website or MTR mobile app between 16 December 2019 and 5 January 2020. Tickets are valid for 92 days from the date of purchase. For details, see http://www.mtr.com.hk/en/customer/main/ael_winter.html

Group discount (2, 3 or 4 people travelling together)

Discount available on a single journey fare to/from the airport: http://www.mtr.com.hk/en/customer/ti..._4persons.html

50% off an Airport Express single journey to the airport

If using an Octopus card, a 50% discount is available on a single journey fare to the airport if taking the taxi (taxi fare of HKD60 or more) to Kowloon or Tsing Yi station (but not Hong Kong station): http://www.mtr.com.hk/en/customer/tickets/ael_taxi.html

Free connection on the MTR

http://www.mtr.com.hk/en/customer/se...nnections.html

30% off single and return tickets

When purchased from Hong Thai travel agency either online (http://www.hongthai.com/tc/Promotion...Promotion.html) or in person at a branch office (list of addresses: http://www.hongthai.com/tc/templates/BranchListAll.html).

If purchasing online, the "confirmation note" (which you must print out and show at the Airport Express station ticket counter to get your ticket) will be e-mailed to you 12-24 hours after you make your purchase on the Hong Thai website. The "confirmation note" is valid for 60 days from the order date. Visa, MasterCard, UnionPay and American Express are accepted payment methods for online orders.

If purchasing in person at a branch office, only cash/EPS is accepted. You will receive a paper voucher valid until 31 December 2018 which must be exchanged for a ticket at the Airport Express station ticket counter.

Confirmation Note is redeemed at Airport Express Customer Service Centre at Tsing Yi/Kowloon/Hong Kong stations; not HKIA station. When flying into HKIA, head directly to Airport Express train. Do not stop at HKIA Airport Express Customer Service Centre. Once you arrive at Tsing Yi/Kowloon/Hong Kong, redeem at Customer Service Centre for ticket to exit the turnstile.

(Old info that has not been updated/verified since Jul 2018 below)

22% off single and return tickets

When purchased in person from Skywards Travel, which has 15 branches in Hong Kong (http://www.skywards.com.hk/files/con...3-file_cht.pdf).

20% off single and return tickets

When purchased in person from Travel Expert travel agency (which has many branches in HK, including in Central MTR station and Kowloon and Tsing Yi Airport Express stations). The Travel Expert branch in Central MTR station (shop number E17) sells a one-way ticket between HK and the airport for HKD80, and a return ticket between HK and the airport for HKD144. The Travel Expert branch in Kowloon station (shop number 53 located to the right hand side of the in-town check in area) sells a one-way ticket between Kowloon and the airport for HKD72, and a return ticket between Kowloon and the airport for HKD128. The Travel Expert branch in Tsing Yi station (shop number 302) sells a one-way ticket between Tsing Yi and the airport for HKD48, and a return ticket between Tsing Yi and the airport for HKD88. Airport Express tickets are also available from other Travel Expert branches (full list at http://www.travelexpert.com.hk/en/Ab...ails.asp?Uid=6).

Up to 16% off single and return tickets (including child tickets)

Gray Line Tours sells Tsing Yi tickets at a 16% off discount, and Hong Kong/Kowloon tickets at a 10% off discount: http://www.grayline.com.hk/transportation/1/fulllist/4
Print Wikipost

Airport Express Current Discount

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2019, 8:25 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, BA Silver, Hertz President's Club
Have used Klook to purchase about 6-7 Airport Express tickets in recent weeks. I have amended the wiki post, but confirmations have come through to my email straight away (purchase through the iOS app and through the website) and QR codes have worked within seconds as some of the tickets were purchased as I arrived at the gates. Multiple tickets in one booking now receive individual QR codes which you can scan at the gate. Recently made a booking for 2 people, who passed through the gates a few hours apart as one landed before the other with no issues.

Really simple to use although still lagging a little behind the lightning speed of Octopus cards. I would still recommend the Octopus cards for anyone transitting Hong Kong (same day) as it offers a free MTR connection. Getting off at Tsing Yi, you can use the Tung Chung/Tsuen Man lines to get to TST/Kowloon and it only costs HK$65 for the round trip with the free connections.

Last edited by CarefreeBA; May 26, 2019 at 8:27 pm Reason: Multiple tickets
Old Jul 1, 2019, 1:10 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeHyatt 5+ Badge

Just updated the wiki - the free travel for Child Octopus card holders and half-price travel for Elder Octopus card holders promotion is back (available until 1 September 2019). Details available on the MTR website.
DragonSoul likes this.
Old Dec 18, 2019, 8:39 am

Just updated the wiki:

The free travel for Child Octopus card holders and half-price travel for Elder Octopus card holders promotion is back (available until 2 February 2020). Details available at MTR > Airport Express Promotion for Children and Seniors

Also, get 30% off single and return tickets purchased on the MTR website and MTR mobile app by 5 January 2020 using promotion code mtronline. Tickets are valid for 92 days from the date of purchase. Details available at MTR > Adults 30% off and Children for free on buying Airport Express tickets via MTR Mobile
Old Dec 19, 2019, 6:24 am

Originally Posted by paul00
Just updated the wiki:

The free travel for Child Octopus card holders and half-price travel for Elder Octopus card holders promotion is back (available until 2 February 2020). Details available at MTR > Airport Express Promotion for Children and Seniors

Also, get 30% off single and return tickets purchased on the MTR website and MTR mobile app by 5 January 2020 using promotion code mtronline. Tickets are valid for 92 days from the date of purchase. Details available at MTR > Adults 30% off and Children for free on buying Airport Express tickets via MTR Mobile
Thanks. Link worked just fine. 2x 2 return tickets booked.
Old Jan 8, 2020, 7:23 pm

Programs: FB Platinum, SM Diamond
There is any other discount available, I need to buy a ticket between the Kowloon train station and the Airport. ?
Old Jan 8, 2020, 9:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by FBplatinum
There is any other discount available, I need to buy a ticket between the Kowloon train station and the Airport. ?
Klook.com or local travel agencies.
Old Jan 10, 2020, 3:26 am
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

I usually rely on Klook for Airport Express tickets -- super easy these days thanks to instantaneous issuance and QR code. I recently noticed that various Airport Express offers show up on Expedia (under the Things to Do/Activities tab), and some of them can be bought using the 40-50% off coupons that are occasionally available (and even the 70% or more ones that pop up during Black Friday type sales). Anyway, without coupon it's not even worth looking at Expedia, but if they do have a sale, it can be worth stocking up. I bought a few Airport-HK station RTs at just over 10.00 GBP with a 50% Expedia UK coupon a few weeks ago (there may be a minimum and maximum spend requirement, so this may not pencil out for one ticket). For tourists, there are various bundles that can be worthwhile with the coupon (for instance, an Ocean Park plus Airport Express RT ticket would have been around 34.00 GBP). The straight-up airport Express tickets work similar to Klook (QR code, although not issued instantaneously), but I stayed clear of the bundles because it wasn't obvious whether standing in line at a redemption counter would be required.
Old Jan 15, 2020, 7:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by jpdx
I usually rely on Klook for Airport Express tickets -- super easy these days thanks to instantaneous issuance and QR code. I recently noticed that various Airport Express offers show up on Expedia (under the Things to Do/Activities tab), and some of them can be bought using the 40-50% off coupons that are occasionally available (and even the 70% or more ones that pop up during Black Friday type sales). Anyway, without coupon it's not even worth looking at Expedia, but if they do have a sale, it can be worth stocking up. I bought a few Airport-HK station RTs at just over 10.00 GBP with a 50% Expedia UK coupon a few weeks ago (there may be a minimum and maximum spend requirement, so this may not pencil out for one ticket). For tourists, there are various bundles that can be worthwhile with the coupon (for instance, an Ocean Park plus Airport Express RT ticket would have been around 34.00 GBP). The straight-up airport Express tickets work similar to Klook (QR code, although not issued instantaneously), but I stayed clear of the bundles because it wasn't obvious whether standing in line at a redemption counter would be required.
Hi jpdx It's been ages since we used to hang out in Portland; those were good times, and you imparted a lot of knowledge upon me. With respect to the current topic, I use Klook and Ctrip to buy the discount AEX tickets. Klook is a little more user friendly than Ctrip, but if I'm booking a plane or hotel ticket with Ctrip, tacking on AEX is pretty easy. My only real complaint about the discount tickets is that the QR code scanners can be a little fickle at times. My current SOP, that addresses this issue for the most part, is to download the QR codes in the highest possible resolution, save them to Wechat favorites (I delete them after use), and make sure my phone is set to maximum brightness when passing through the gates.
Old Jan 15, 2020, 8:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by moondog
Hi jpdx It's been ages since we used to hang out in Portland; those were good times, and you imparted a lot of knowledge upon me. With respect to the current topic, I use Klook and Ctrip to buy the discount AEX tickets. Klook is a little more user friendly than Ctrip, but if I'm booking a plane or hotel ticket with Ctrip, tacking on AEX is pretty easy. My only real complaint about the discount tickets is that the QR code scanners can be a little fickle at times. My current SOP, that addresses this issue for the most part, is to download the QR codes in the highest possible resolution, save them to Wechat favorites (I delete them after use), and make sure my phone is set to maximum brightness when passing through the gates.
My codes are ok as received as long as the brightness is up and my phone screen is clean.
This is because the scanner screen is not clean.

I used to get the coupon from the consulting agency that I am contracted with, it is cheaper for me than the Klook QR but the time it takes to convert the coupon to a ticket is just not worth it.

Last edited by tentseller; Jan 15, 2020 at 8:34 am
Old Mar 9, 2020, 1:08 am

Seems they have extended the minimum check-in time for Airport Express to two hours... MTR > Privileges and Complimentary Services

Anyone knows if that is a temporary or permanent measure? Makes the in town check in pretty useless in my opinion...
Old Mar 9, 2020, 1:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mucaari
Seems they have extended the minimum check-in time for Airport Express to two hours... MTR > Privileges and Complimentary Services

Anyone knows if that is a temporary or permanent measure? Makes the in town check in pretty useless in my opinion...
That has always been the case as it take half an hour for train from Central to HKIA You might be physically on the next train but your checked bag might be on a later train due to handling process.
lsquare likes this.
Old Jun 16, 2020, 1:48 pm

The MTR will be permanently discontinuing the Airport Express's free hotel shuttle bus service when operations return to normal. (The shuttle service has been temporarily suspended since March).

"The rail operator plans to collaborate with taxi-hailing apps instead. 'If a passenger takes a taxi to Hong Kong, Kowloon or Tsing Yi stations, they can enjoy fare discounts for their Airport Express trip to the airport,' the MTRC said."

https://www.thestandard.com.hk/secti...r-airport-ride
theworld likes this.
Old Jun 16, 2020, 6:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by 889
The MTR will be permanently discontinuing the Airport Express's free hotel shuttle bus service when operations return to normal. (The shuttle service has been temporarily suspended since March).

"The rail operator plans to collaborate with taxi-hailing apps instead. 'If a passenger takes a taxi to Hong Kong, Kowloon or Tsing Yi stations, they can enjoy fare discounts for their Airport Express trip to the airport,' the MTRC said."

https://www.thestandard.com.hk/secti...r-airport-ride
Another screw-up between the Government and the MTR.
Old Jul 2, 2022, 10:13 am

30% off single / round-trip tickets for adults / children purchased on the MTR Mobile app or the MTR website using promotion code 'AEL2205' until 31 August 2022 (tickets can be used within 92 days from the date of purchase). Visit https://www.mtr.com.hk/en/customer/m...count2022.html for more information.
Old Jul 2, 2022, 1:45 pm
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Round trip??

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.