Reload this Page >

From Hong Kong to Shenzhen

Old Feb 17, 14, 2:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: EK Gold, IHG Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond

Hi,

in November my wife and I will travel to Hong Kong.
We would like to go to Shenzhen for one day (return trip); does it worth it?
How is with visa?

Thanks
Old Feb 17, 14, 7:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MarcoGT View Post
Hi,

in November my wife and I will travel to Hong Kong.
We would like to go to Shenzhen for one day (return trip); does it worth it?
How is with visa?

Thanks
There are a bunch of Shenzhen threads both here and in the China forum that I encourage you to dig up. I happen to like the greener parts of Shenzhen because it is a nice change of pace from HK. In your shoes, I would even stay for a night or two (hotels are FAR cheaper there than in HK). Assuming you are have a German passport, a Shenzhen only visa costs around Y180 and you can get them at Luowu and at least one of the two Shenzhen Bay crossings.
Old Feb 21, 14, 10:00 am

Programs: HHonors Gold, Star Alliance Gold, IHG Platinum
Living in the Pearl River Delta myself i really have to objectively say that Shenzhen is absolutely not worth the trip. Id rather spend more time in HK or go to Macau!!! which is always nice.

Shenzhen completely lacks history and atmosphere and i really would not even know what to visit. If you absolutely want to go id rather go to Guangzhou (also not that attractive for tourists but still better as its 2000 years old with some things to see). You can take the Express Train from Hung Hom to Guangzhou East. I always went to CTC (Chinese Travel Agency) to get a express visa dunno if that is still the best way.
Old Feb 21, 14, 4:18 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks

Programs: Tri-State Turducken, Keisei Skinflint, KCR Headphones, Kopaja Platinum
Originally Posted by Plissken View Post
Living in the Pearl River Delta myself i really have to objectively say that Shenzhen is absolutely not worth the trip. Id rather spend more time in HK or go to Macau!!! which is always nice.

Shenzhen completely lacks history and atmosphere and i really would not even know what to visit. If you absolutely want to go id rather go to Guangzhou (also not that attractive for tourists but still better as its 2000 years old with some things to see). You can take the Express Train from Hung Hom to Guangzhou East. I always went to CTC (Chinese Travel Agency) to get a express visa dunno if that is still the best way.
Shenzhen is mostly lacking in ancient historical sites, but anyone curious about China from the late-70s onward might want to pay it a visit.
Then again, do tourists generally visit Hong Kong for its history?

Guangzhou is an entirely different story. There are more prominent (older) historical attractions, though I reckon navigating around it requires a bit more patience.
Old Feb 22, 14, 12:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: None any more
Remember that the "on demand" visas available at the border are only for the Shenzhen area. To go to Guangzhou you would need a full China Visa, which you should officially get in your home country before you leave.
Old Feb 22, 14, 6:19 pm

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Platinum, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by christep View Post
Remember that the "on demand" visas available at the border are only for the Shenzhen area. To go to Guangzhou you would need a full China Visa, which you should officially get in your home country before you leave.
Be aware that the Shenzhen-only 5 day visa you can buy at the border is only available to passport holders of some countries. For example, French passport holders are not eligible. American passport holders became eligible only last month (Jan 2014) but for an extortionate RMB 900(ish). Eligibility changes all the time, literally week to week.
Old Feb 23, 14, 7:50 pm

Programs: AA Plat SPG Gold
Originally Posted by bibbju View Post
Be aware that the Shenzhen-only 5 day visa you can buy at the border is only available to passport holders of some countries. For example, French passport holders are not eligible. American passport holders became eligible only last month (Jan 2014) but for an extortionate RMB 900(ish). Eligibility changes all the time, literally week to week.
Yeah I wouldn't count on visa on arrivals if your trips depend on it.
Old Feb 23, 14, 9:28 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, B6, CX, KE, Latitude, VIFP, Crown & Anchor, etc.
It surely costs more for Visa on arrivals at Shenzhen. The current Visa Application Fees in the US for US Citizens vs. other countries in US Dollars, no mailed application accepted, must apply in person or via approved travel agency or visa agent.

Single Entry $140 $30 (non-US)
Double Entries $140 $45
Multiple Entries for 6 Months $140 $60
Multiple Entries for 12 Months or more $140 $90

Regular processing, available on 4th. business day
Express processing, available on 2nd. or 3rd. buinsess day
Additional cost of $20 USD

Notice that the visa fees varied for other nationals but for all US citizens, regardless of whether it's single or double entries, or multiple entries - it's flat out $140 USD + $20 if rushing it, plus travel agency/visa agent's fees. For Shenzhen, the $900 RMB converted to about $147 USD, a discount on rush processing on the spot ...

Last edited by Letitride3c; Feb 23, 14 at 9:38 pm
Old Feb 23, 14, 9:32 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Platinum, AA Lifetime Platinum, UA Platinum, DL Platinum, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by bibbju View Post
American passport holders became eligible only last month (Jan 2014) but for an extortionate RMB 900(ish). Eligibility changes all the time, literally week to week.
Where is it documented that US passports holders are now eligible? Or more generally, is there an official source for the current rules in English?
Old Feb 23, 14, 9:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Letitride3c View Post
It surely costs more for Visa on arrivals at Shenzhen. The current Visa Application Fees in the US for US Citizens vs. other countries in US Dollars, no mailed application accepted, must apply in person or via approved travel agency or visa agent.
Yes, for Americans, there is no reason not to get a full blown visa because we can get up to 3 years for the same price as the 5 day Shenzhen only visa.
Old Feb 24, 14, 1:33 am

Programs: LH M&M, CX MPC Green
3 year China visa?!?!

where where?! I want one. Would make my life a lot easier...
Old Feb 24, 14, 3:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Jamoldo View Post
3 year China visa?!?!

where where?! I want one. Would make my life a lot easier...
D.C. for sure and presumably at other consulates in the US. Drop me a line before your next trip home and I'll help you get everything organized.
Old Feb 24, 14, 3:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Duplicate
Old Feb 24, 14, 5:24 pm

Programs: LH M&M, CX MPC Green
Originally Posted by moondog View Post
D.C. for sure and presumably at other consulates in the US. Drop me a line before your next trip home and I'll help you get everything organized.
I may be home in a month or two and would definitely extend my trip just for this...
Old Feb 24, 14, 6:26 pm

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Platinum, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by Steve M View Post
Where is it documented that US passports holders are now eligible? Or more generally, is there an official source for the current rules in English?
It changed a couple of weeks ago and US passport holders became eligible. It was displayed on the wall inside the Shenzhen visa office. Or course it may have changed back again by now! No official announcement is usually made re. Shenzhen only visas. Usually the only way people know is by either trying to phone the visa office at Shenzhen itself or by actually visiting in person. Most HK expats know people travelling through Shenzhen all the time so word of mouth is usually the easiest way of keeping up-to-date as the Chinese change their rules whenever they want to.

Search this Thread