HKG late arrival options

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

HKG late arrival options

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2018, 11:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
BTW - a friendly reminder:

Uber is officially an illegal transportation in Hong Kong. While the passengers will not be prosecuted for using Uber, Uber drivers can be prosecuted for the hiring without proper licenses and insurance.

It will be at your own risks to choose Uber.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 12:01 am

Thanks a lot, DragonSoul, ChrisLi, kaka !

I'm going to consider the van service. 605HKD is a bit pricier than I'd like, but it beats paying 1188HKD for Conrad limo and so it might be a good compromise.

Originally Posted by kaka
However my family has a general tendency to take the train. Also it avoids any possible traffic on the highway (yes, usually it is exactly those taxi drivers that you are trying to avoid). At HK Station they pick up at street level outside where the in-town checkin desks are...

PS taking a taxi from HK Station: (it wont work for you with a whole family and bags but if you're 2 adults who knows what is going on w min bags, yu can get on a taxi there too, but just get on and tell driver where you wanna go). It's not as bad as how Chrisli says but i dont enjoy dealing with cabbies who loves over charging fares and luggage fees (i know how big my rollerboard is and its not chargable according to law. some cabbies think otherwise and i always tell them to measure if if they are not happy)
When you say "At HK Station they pick up at street level outside where the in-town checkin desks are," I think that is where taxis drop you off... isn't that right? (the street on the north side of HK Station)
Old Oct 23, 2018, 12:08 am

Originally Posted by garykung

Uber is officially an illegal transportation in Hong Kong. While the passengers will not be prosecuted for using Uber, Uber drivers can be prosecuted for the hiring without proper licenses and insurance.

Thanks. Well, it's something to think about, but I don't know how to interpret this. Should one be concerned about this? Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Uber technically illegal in US also?

It's also illegal for HK taxi drivers to refuse a ride to someone just because he doesn't like the requested destination, yet I get refused rides all the time. So even the whole taxi industry is sort of operating not legally in HK.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 12:15 am

Originally Posted by kaka
cost wise you're not any better or worse off taking uber from airport or HK Station.

However my family has a general tendency to take the train. Also it avoids any possible traffic on the highway (yes, usually it is exactly those taxi drivers that you are trying to avoid). At HK Station they pick up at street level outside where the in-town checkin desks are...

PS taking a taxi from HK Station: (it wont work for you with a whole family and bags but if you're 2 adults who knows what is going on w min bags, yu can get on a taxi there too, but just get on and tell driver where you wanna go). It's not as bad as how Chrisli says but i dont enjoy dealing with cabbies who loves over charging fares and luggage fees (i know how big my rollerboard is and its not chargable according to law. some cabbies think otherwise and i always tell them to measure if if they are not happy)
Oh they love their baggage charges. I took the AE back to Central after seeing a friend off at 6am on a Sunday. Thought I'd take a taxi home so walked across to the taxi stand. Went to get in the vehicle and the driver jumped out, asking where my luggage was. I said I didn't have any luggage, so he slammed the door shut and drove off! I turned to the (shocked) people behind me in the queue and said "Welcome to Hong Kong".
Old Oct 23, 2018, 12:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by evergrn
Thanks a lot, DragonSoul, ChrisLi, kaka !

I'm going to consider the van service. 605HKD is a bit pricier than I'd like, but it beats paying 1188HKD for Conrad limo and so it might be a good compromise.

When you say "At HK Station they pick up at street level outside where the in-town checkin desks are," I think that is where taxis drop you off... isn't that right? (the street on the north side of HK Station)
Look on Klook.com for discounted limovan service. $510 from and to Midlevels and HKIA
Old Oct 23, 2018, 3:20 am

Originally Posted by tentseller
Look on Klook.com for discounted limovan service. $510 from and to Midlevels and HKIA
Which one on Klook are you looking at? The one I posted ($640) is for an MPV after midnight, which is when I assume they'll be through arrivals. $510 is a very good price for a return trip.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 4:16 am
Suspended

Programs: None any more
As kaka says, don't do taxis in HK like you would in say London (i.e. tell them where you want to go before you get in). Get into the taxi, shut the door, then tell the driver where you want to go. Taking you there and using the meter is not optional. Any grief just key 999 on your phone, show it to the driver and ask him if you should press Call.

And just for the avoidance of doubt, as a 20-year immigrant here, and having made several thousand taxi rides, I can count on the fingers of one hand how many times I have have a significant issue with the driver.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 5:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Uber technically illegal in US also?
It depends on the cities. But many cities eventually allow ride-sharing. So to your question, no.

It's also illegal for HK taxi drivers to refuse a ride to someone just because he doesn't like the requested destination, yet I get refused rides all the time. So even the whole taxi industry is sort of operating not legally in HK.
There are differences.

First - It is not illegal per se for a taxi driver to refuse transportation. In fact, the current regulation allows taxi drivers to refuse transportation with reasonable excuses. Second - while the number of taxi-related incidents have been increasing, the taxi system is legal per se. On the other hand, nothing with Uber is actually legal, i.e. the entire system is illegal.

Regardless how much you want to argue against taxi, the reality remains unchanged that it is a fact that Uber is illegal. My post is a simple reminder to be careful, for those who are willing to risk it.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 6:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by DragonSoul
Which one on Klook are you looking at? The one I posted ($640) is for an MPV after midnight, which is when I assume they'll be through arrivals. $510 is a very good price for a return trip.
We might be looking at the same item at Klook where your price is with the late or early surcharge.

$510 return is during sane hours from anywhere on HK Island. Cheaper from Kowloon side.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 7:08 pm

First - It is not illegal per se for a taxi driver to refuse transportation. In fact, the current regulation allows taxi drivers to refuse transportation with reasonable excuses. Second - while the number of taxi-related incidents have been increasing, the taxi system is legal per se. On the other hand, nothing with Uber is actually legal, i.e. the entire system is illegal.

Regardless how much you want to argue against taxi, the reality remains unchanged that it is a fact that Uber is illegal. My post is a simple reminder to be careful, for those who are willing to risk it.
Do you use Uber in HKG, or do you choose not to for this reason?

I see what you're saying about taxi's legality, but I distinctly remember reading a while back that it's illegal for taxi drivers to refuse a client just because the client's destination is not convenient to the driver.
kaka and tentseller like this.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 7:15 pm

Originally Posted by christep
As kaka says, don't do taxis in HK like you would in say London (i.e. tell them where you want to go before you get in). Get into the taxi, shut the door, then tell the driver where you want to go. Taking you there and using the meter is not optional. Any grief just key 999 on your phone, show it to the driver and ask him if you should press Call.

And just for the avoidance of doubt, as a 20-year immigrant here, and having made several thousand taxi rides, I can count on the fingers of one hand how many times I have have a significant issue with the driver.
Yeah I realize that's what you're supposed to do. But it's not easy to execute, as most of the time my kids would be with me in HKG. A lot of the refusals have involved going to Central or crossing the harbour.
Once the ride has started, I don't think I've ever had issues with HKG drivers trying to cheat me, etc.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 7:18 pm

Originally Posted by DragonSoul
Actually, looking back over the Klook page, it's possible I can book the cheaper regular-hour one. Our flight lands 11.15pm, I think.
The webpage says:
"Please select your scheduled flight arrival time period (e.g. if your estimated arrival time is 10:30am, please select 10:00am as it wall fall within 10:00am-10:59pm). If necessary, you can leave a note at checkout on the car's expected time of arrival."
Old Oct 23, 2018, 8:11 pm

Actually, looking back over the Klook page, it's possible I can book the cheaper regular-hour one. Our flight lands 11.15pm, I think.
The webpage says:
"Please select your scheduled flight arrival time period (e.g. if your estimated arrival time is 10:30am, please select 10:00am as it wall fall within 10:00am-10:59pm). If necessary, you can leave a note at checkout on the car's expected time of arrival."
Even better!

And if you are going to take the train back to the airport, Klook's ticket prices are very good.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 9:32 pm

"I see what you're saying about taxi's legality, but I distinctly remember reading a while back that it's illegal for taxi drivers to refuse a client just because the client's destination is not convenient to the driver."

It's illegal for a driver to refuse a fare without "reasonable excuse." The real problem is, the law's not much enforced. So who knows what falls under "reasonable excuse." The taxi trade is like the HYK: the government keeps its hands off them both because they'll stir up trouble otherwise.
kaka likes this.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 4:15 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold

so are taxis when they overcharge, speed, and/or drive with insufficient rest.

It depends on the cities. But many cities eventually allow ride-sharing. So to your question, no.

There are differences.

whilst the industry is just working on bribery money, they are legal.
what is illegal is when the taxis drivers do not check if the car is functioning properly (brakes, lights, boot) and driver's driving attitude (speeding, fare, rest)

Whilst being an uber, they tend to drive much better than taxi as evergrn had experienced

Last edited by kaka; Oct 24, 2018 at 4:22 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.