Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Hong Kong and Macau
Reload this Page >

HKG late arrival options

HKG late arrival options

Old Oct 18, 2018, 1:40 am

So long as the Airport Express is running, there will be taxis coming into HK Station to pick up. It's in the CBD (easier to find a fare there) and many drivers would prefer to pick up arriving travellers than the drunks in Lan Kwai Fong (although that time might be a bit early for them to roll out). It's usually when it's raining they are scarce.

You get off the train, go through the ticket barrier and the taxi lines are right in front of you. Most people head for Lines 1 or 2, but there are people outside guiding the taxis to the next line, so it goes 1st taxi to Line 1, 2nd taxi to Line 2, etc. This can mean the queue Line 4 (of 4) goes faster because there are more people in Lines 1 and 2.

So if you have one of your party dash to Line 4 or 3, while the rest deal with the luggage, you might be out pretty quick.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 6:47 am

Originally Posted by DragonSoul
So long as the Airport Express is running, there will be taxis coming into HK Station to pick up. It's in the CBD (easier to find a fare there) and many drivers would prefer to pick up arriving travellers than the drunks in Lan Kwai Fong (although that time might be a bit early for them to roll out). It's usually when it's raining they are scarce.

You get off the train, go through the ticket barrier and the taxi lines are right in front of you. Most people head for Lines 1 or 2, but there are people outside guiding the taxis to the next line, so it goes 1st taxi to Line 1, 2nd taxi to Line 2, etc. This can mean the queue Line 4 (of 4) goes faster because there are more people in Lines 1 and 2.

So if you have one of your party dash to Line 4 or 3, while the rest deal with the luggage, you might be out pretty quick.
Great advice, in my travelling to HK I'd not really even considered this before
Old Oct 18, 2018, 8:02 pm

Okay thanks. And thanks for the tip on the taxi queue. I don't think I've ever taken Airport Express after midnight, so I was worried... esp after reading about having to wait >30min for taxi at Kowloon Station late at night. You've never seen a phenomenon like that at HK Station late at night?
Old Oct 20, 2018, 9:07 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by evergrn
Okay thanks. And thanks for the tip on the taxi queue. I don't think I've ever taken Airport Express after midnight, so I was worried... esp after reading about having to wait >30min for taxi at Kowloon Station late at night. You've never seen a phenomenon like that at HK Station late at night?
its possible every now and then, especially on a day where taxis are in need elsewhere.
consult uber too if thats your thing
evergrn likes this.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 8:45 am

Programs: BA Gold, JGC Sapphire, OZ Diamond, AF Silver, CX GR, Marriott Lifetime SL
My family and I are arriving very late, ~11.30pm on a Thursday night. After immigration, bags and everything, it'll be easily past midnight by the time we're landside. We were originally going to spend the first night at Marriott Skycity before heading to Conrad the next day. But since the Conrad price has come down, I'm thinking about just heading straight to Conrad via Airport Express then cab from HK Station.

Question: Will there be plenty of taxis available at HK Station around 12.30-1am?

If the taxis will be scarce, or if there's any chance I may have to wait 30-40min (like someone said above about Kowloon Station), then I think this option is out.

(Please note that I'm not taking a late-night taxi again from HKIA into town after a scary past experience, and also I can't blow 1000+ HKD on Conrad limo service.)
If you are of family of 2 or 3, please do Taxi all the way. The cost isn't that much difference but the convenience is way worth it. Alternative do a Uber, it should run around HKD 330 (UberX) / HKD 470 (Uber Black / XL) if not on surge pricing.

Interest to know what scary experience you have had, though I had one that the driver going sleepy and I have to ask for the next train station and send him home. I am a local so it's kind of different. Uber driver normally work at night in HK so it shouldn't be a major issue.

Taxi is gonna be scare if you arrive on a Friday / Saturday night or one of those night with major event (e.g. Wine and Dine next weekend)
evergrn likes this.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 12:44 pm

Originally Posted by ChrisLi
If you are of family of 2 or 3, please do Taxi all the way. The cost isn't that much difference but the convenience is way worth it. Alternative do a Uber, it should run around HKD 330 (UberX) / HKD 470 (Uber Black / XL) if not on surge pricing.

Interest to know what scary experience you have had, though I had one that the driver going sleepy and I have to ask for the next train station and send him home. I am a local so it's kind of different. Uber driver normally work at night in HK so it shouldn't be a major issue.

Taxi is gonna be scare if you arrive on a Friday / Saturday night or one of those night with major event (e.g. Wine and Dine next weekend)
You can read about it here.
I may be overly paranoid about the taxi thing, but it was such a scary experience (and apparently this is not a rare occurence based on what others, and even you, have reported) that I can't do it again.

We arrive Thurs night. Barring Fri/Sat or major event, do you think we should be able to catch a taxi at HK Station pretty quick close to 1am? (I've never had to wait more than 5min during the day.)

My options right now:
1. Skycity Marriott the first night, then head to Conrad the next day.
2. AE to Central (~350HKD), then taxi to Conrad the first night.
3. Conrad limo (1188HKD) to Conrad the first night.

I would say option (3) is not really an option for us. I can't be spending that much on airport transfer. Marriott is 2060HKD. Conrad is 3180HKD, although the actual cost ends up ~same as Marriott because of all the bonus points I earn at Conrad. These are inclusive of breakfast and tax/svc. Obviously I'd like to go straight to Conrad so that I wouldn't have to change hotels the next day.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 8:42 pm

evergrn, forgot to ask. How many people in your party?
Old Oct 21, 2018, 10:24 pm

evergrn, forgot to ask. How many people in your party?
2 adults + 2 kids
Old Oct 21, 2018, 11:04 pm
Suspended

i would get an uber if i were you. check the time approx it takes when you're at the first stop(tsing yi), then time it accordingly(I usually allocate 3 minutes from train to the drop off area where uber picks up pax... add a minute or 2 if you have many bags or kids - so start looking for cabs before you get of the train if its showing 10+ mins, or before the lift if less). I'd assume you have bought a ticket before you get on the train anyways.
Uber would save you luggage surcharge which is payable on a taxi.

Im not surprised, i got scammed when i last took a taxi from the airport. They are in general a terrible bunch (if not scamming, bad driving.)
Old Oct 21, 2018, 11:17 pm

Agree with kaka. Consider Uber. You could also get an Uber from train station in Central - less than HK$100.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 9:42 am

Programs: BA Gold, JGC Sapphire, OZ Diamond, AF Silver, CX GR, Marriott Lifetime SL
You can read about it here.
I may be overly paranoid about the taxi thing, but it was such a scary experience (and apparently this is not a rare occurence based on what others, and even you, have reported) that I can't do it again.

We arrive Thurs night. Barring Fri/Sat or major event, do you think we should be able to catch a taxi at HK Station pretty quick close to 1am? (I've never had to wait more than 5min during the day.)

My options right now:
1. Skycity Marriott the first night, then head to Conrad the next day.
2. AE to Central (~350HKD), then taxi to Conrad the first night.
3. Conrad limo (1188HKD) to Conrad the first night.

I would say option (3) is not really an option for us. I can't be spending that much on airport transfer. Marriott is 2060HKD. Conrad is 3180HKD, although the actual cost ends up ~same as Marriott because of all the bonus points I earn at Conrad. These are inclusive of breakfast and tax/svc. Obviously I'd like to go straight to Conrad so that I wouldn't have to change hotels the next day.
Per my previous comment I did have my share of strange taxi ride too. My conclusion will be (4) Uber to Conrad. I travel on Uber frequent enough in the city and always come with a good driver, always a clean car (well sometime a bit wild on UberX like small but Uber Black and Uber XL)

Night time taxi is totally different story compare with day time. No one arriving at Airport Express station and as you mention, all taxi going LKF and no one is really interested to pick-up short distance rider from HK Station, I almost had trouble doing that in Kowloon Station and I believe it is in similar situation. Taxi driver is more interest to pick up "15% off" long haul ride for those office slave heading home.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 8:26 pm

Okay, thanks guys.
Looks like I shouldn't rely on late-night taxis from HK Station to Conrad, then.

I've never used Uber outside of USA. Looking at some info online, it seems like you just use the Uber app on your smartphone the same as you would anywhere else. Is that correct? I can use the app while at HKIA since there's free wifi there. I think there's free wifi on Airport Express, but I don't think I've ever used AE wifi so I'm kind of worried as to whether it'll work. Where does Uber typically come pick up at HKIA? And if I were to take the Airport Express first, then at HK Station do Uber drivers usually pick up where taxis drop you off?

If I'm feeling too nervous about this whole thing, I might just go with Marriott.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 9:50 pm

The Uber app is used the same for Hong Kong. I would imagine for first-time visitors to Hong Kong who are Uber users in their own country, Uber is a clear-cut choice.

Here is the webpage for pick-ups at the airport: https://www.uber.com/en-HK/airports/hkg/

For pick-up in Central, it's where you want, but not where the taxies are. I guess you'd have to go up to street level. (Perhaps someone else can confirm.)

Another option, and sorry if this has been mentioned, is Klook (website and app, which has discounts for all kinds of activities). At around HK$640 for an MPV after 12:00am, it costs more than a taxi/Uber, but less than a hotel night. I've used them many times for the discounts and once for the airport transfer, although I got the MPV not the Tesla I booked. Pick-up was at the carpark (No.1 I think) to the right after coming out of the Arrivals Hall. Straight from the airport to the Conrad, pay in advance so no worries about cash for a taxi.

https://www.klook.com/activity/803-l...ers-hong-kong/

Last edited by DragonSoul; Oct 22, 2018 at 9:57 pm
Old Oct 22, 2018, 10:48 pm

Okay, thanks guys.
Looks like I shouldn't rely on late-night taxis from HK Station to Conrad, then.

I've never used Uber outside of USA. Looking at some info online, it seems like you just use the Uber app on your smartphone the same as you would anywhere else. Is that correct? I can use the app while at HKIA since there's free wifi there. I think there's free wifi on Airport Express, but I don't think I've ever used AE wifi so I'm kind of worried as to whether it'll work. Where does Uber typically come pick up at HKIA? And if I were to take the Airport Express first, then at HK Station do Uber drivers usually pick up where taxis drop you off?

If I'm feeling too nervous about this whole thing, I might just go with Marriott.
It's the same Uber app for everywhere they operate. Just recently did one with my HK account in Geneva and New Delhi. No problem at all.

Just do Uber from Airport direct to Conrad. It's just a stupid idea and cost probably the same (including train ticket) to have Uber from HK station to Conrad. Uber pick up from Car Park 1 or Car Park 4 at the airport so depends on the luggage belt you pick up your stuff, you use the respective car park accordingly (i.e. Belt 8 onwards for Car Park 1 and otherwise Car Park 4, next to Regal hotel)
Old Oct 22, 2018, 11:17 pm
Suspended

cost wise you're not any better or worse off taking uber from airport or HK Station.

However my family has a general tendency to take the train. Also it avoids any possible traffic on the highway (yes, usually it is exactly those taxi drivers that you are trying to avoid). At HK Station they pick up at street level outside where the in-town checkin desks are...

PS taking a taxi from HK Station: (it wont work for you with a whole family and bags but if you're 2 adults who knows what is going on w min bags, yu can get on a taxi there too, but just get on and tell driver where you wanna go). It's not as bad as how Chrisli says but i dont enjoy dealing with cabbies who loves over charging fares and luggage fees (i know how big my rollerboard is and its not chargable according to law. some cabbies think otherwise and i always tell them to measure if if they are not happy)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.