FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hong Kong and Macau (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hong-kong-macau-436/)
-   -   Dining recommendation - One night in HK (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hong-kong-macau/1497713-dining-recommendation-one-night-hk.html)

MilesDependent Aug 27, 2013 1:19 am

Dining recommendation - One night in HK

Hi all,

I have one night as a stopover in Hong Kong next Friday. I'd like to go to a decent Cantonese or Western restaurant either on the Island or Kowloon.

My requirements are:
* I'd rather not make a booking in advance, as I want to keep my options open for maximum sight-seeing on the day. E.G, if bad weather I might want to go to dinner early. Or if good weather, maybe not eat till later.
* Nothing too dressy. I'm staying at the Regal Airport, and will be wandering around the city during the day. So best I can do is jeans, polo top and sneakers.
* Not really too worried about cost.

Any recommendations?

dtsm Aug 27, 2013 7:47 am

If you're solo, pretty hard to eat Chinese, regardless of cuisine. Keep in mind many places get busy at peak hours. For solo seating, often you'll dine in the bar area. If you go early, before 7pm, usually better.

One suggestion: Al Molo, italian cuisine, Ocean Terminal, ground level. Hard to miss....but there are so many places, so tell us what you like?

http://www.diningconcepts.com/Al_molo/index.php

bibbju Aug 28, 2013 3:37 am

I'd just head to Soho and see where takes your fancy whenever you're ready to eat. Lots of restaurants so you'll have no problems getting in somewhere.

moondog Aug 28, 2013 4:30 am

Originally Posted by bibbju (Post 21348999)
I'd just head to Soho and see where takes your fancy whenever you're ready to eat. Lots of restaurants so you'll have no problems getting in somewhere.

+1. Then maybe grab a drink at Feather Boa.

dtsm Aug 28, 2013 6:44 am

Originally Posted by moondog (Post 21349105)
+1. Then maybe grab a drink at Feather Boa.

Unless you're Asian?? Appears to get very mixed reviews:
https://foursquare.com/v/club-feathe...64a520264824e3
:td::td:

CanucksHKG Aug 28, 2013 8:01 am

I heard Cafe design Coral's a good option. And it fits well with your requirements too.

Alternatively, you can try Tsui Wah.

tentseller Aug 28, 2013 4:12 pm

Originally Posted by CanucksHKG (Post 21349928)
I heard Cafe design Coral's a good option. And it fits well with your requirements too.

Cafe Coral: That is what Hong Kongers mostly eat; people's food. You will get the real HK dining exsperience. The other is MX.

rkkwan Aug 28, 2013 7:01 pm

Its actual name is Café de Coral. The 2nd most popular chain is Fairwood. The founders of the two are brothers. Their older brother founded Vitasoy, another well known brand.

Pickles Aug 28, 2013 7:30 pm

Originally Posted by CanucksHKG (Post 21349928)

I'm not sure a HKD 24 rice bowl at CdC or a spam and egg sandwich at Tsui Wah would classify as "decent" and where you'd head for one night in Hong Kong. Atmospheric and local? Yes. Worth eating there if all you have is one night? No.

kaka Aug 28, 2013 9:17 pm

Originally Posted by Pickles (Post 21353810)
I'm not sure a HKD 24 rice bowl at CdC or a spam and egg sandwich at Tsui Wah would classify as "decent" and where you'd head for one night in Hong Kong. Atmospheric and local? Yes. Worth eating there if all you have is one night? No.

CdC, Lol. Right, Let me throw in some suggestion for Canto food in the decent category in Central.

Snake Fun (Under the Mid-Levels Escalator between Wellington Street and Lyndhurst Terrace, next to a hairdresser) They serve more than just snake soup! Also some very traditional Canto Dishes.
Luk Yu Tea House, Stanley Street
Yung Kee. Wellington Street)
If you want some Michelin Grade Roast Goose, try Yat Lok on 34 Stanley Street

There are nicer restaus but arent as "local"... Most others will have proper decors and facny things.

tentseller Aug 29, 2013 4:48 am

Originally Posted by kaka (Post 21354310)
CdC, Lol. Right, Let me throw in some suggestion for Canto food in the decent category in Central.

Snake Fun (Under the Mid-Levels Escalator between Wellington Street and Lyndhurst Terrace, next to a hairdresser) They serve more than just snake soup! Also some very traditional Canto Dishes.
Luk Yu Tea House, Stanley Street
Yung Kee. Wellington Street)
If you want some Michelin Grade Roast Goose, try Yat Lok on 34 Stanley Street

There are nicer restaus but arent as "local"... Most others will have proper decors and facny things.

How about Mak's wonton noodles?

rkkwan Aug 29, 2013 6:59 am

Originally Posted by tentseller (Post 21355636)
How about Mak's wonton noodles?

Wonton noodles (and Mak's very good) is a snack. The OP still need a proper meal.

tentseller Aug 29, 2013 11:34 am

Originally Posted by rkkwan (Post 21356032)
Wonton noodles (and Mak's very good) is a snack. The OP still need a proper meal.

One bowl is a snack, some times I have more.

My central reminiscent route takes me to Maks and the Yat Lok. Snake Fun tor starter if it is winter time. :D:D:D

I worked one summer near Hollywood/Wellington back in 1974.

I also remember getting change for $1 at Maks.

CanucksHKG Aug 29, 2013 11:53 am

Originally Posted by rkkwan (Post 21353680)
Its actual name is Café de Coral.

Opps, stupid autocorrect :td:

kaka Sep 1, 2013 5:39 am

Originally Posted by tentseller (Post 21357732)
One bowl is a snack, some times I have more.

My central reminiscent route takes me to Maks and the Yat Lok. Snake Fun tor starter if it is winter time. :D:D:D

I worked one summer near Hollywood/Wellington back in 1974.

I also remember getting change for $1 at Maks.

I would much prefer it the other way round LOL.
Maks for starters then Snake Fun for mains(winter or not)!