Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Hong Kong and Macau
Reload this Page >

Carry on check at the gate for flights to the US.

Old Feb 12, 2013, 8:54 pm
Original Poster

Flying from HKG to JFK on CX and I a little confused about whether there is a carry on check at the gate. We have bought some gifts for friends and family and will definitely pack them in the carry on incase of lost baggage. What is the gate check like at HKG, is the entire carry on emptied and then repacked? Am I allowed to take one bottle of water onboard for the flight? Thanks.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 8:58 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by tt1122
Flying from HKG to JFK on CX and I a little confused about whether there is a carry on check at the gate. We have bought some gifts for friends and family and will definitely pack them in the carry on incase of lost baggage. What is the gate check like at HKG, is the entire carry on emptied and then repacked? Am I allowed to take one bottle of water onboard for the flight? Thanks.
No water/liquid over 100ml is allowed on US and Aust bound flights
Old Feb 12, 2013, 9:50 pm

Programs: AA, UA, QF, TK, EY, NZ

You can take an empty bottle onboard but not one full with liquids.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 10:26 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by ANZ787900
You can take an empty bottle onboard but not one full with liquids.
Yep also no duty free above 100ml allowed even of purchased at airport
Old Feb 13, 2013, 3:12 am

Programs: Mileage Plus, CX Green, GHA PLT
Which means I cannot buy any liquor at duty free to US or Aust ?
Old Feb 13, 2013, 3:24 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by ELMOBOY
Which means I cannot buy any liquor at duty free to US or Aust ?
No unfortunately. U can buy on board if u don't have any international connection after for Aust and for US I am not 100% sure but I think u can't buy anything
Old Feb 13, 2013, 3:33 am

Programs: Mileage Plus, CX Green, GHA PLT
Ok Thanks very much !
Old Feb 13, 2013, 1:10 pm

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
This is on HKIA security. I am moving the thread to the HKG forum.

cxfan1960
CX Mod
Old Feb 13, 2013, 3:10 pm

Programs: AMEX AC CX UA AA DL
I buy duty free for US bound flight with connection all the time(on board for instance). You need to claim bag and clear customs at port of entry. At that time, put duty free liquor in checked bag.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 4:19 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies. I appreciate teh help of FTers.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 2:57 am

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by tt1122
Flying from HKG to JFK on CX and I a little confused about whether there is a carry on check at the gate. We have bought some gifts for friends and family and will definitely pack them in the carry on incase of lost baggage. What is the gate check like at HKG, is the entire carry on emptied and then repacked?
They riffle through each carry-on bag, but do not go to the extremes when the policy was first instituted years back. They do not empty and repack the bags. Last time through, I'd packed liquids in <100ml containers inside a quart zip-lock bag and putt that bag on top; the checker saw that and didn't bother searching the rest of the bag.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 8:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
ex HKG DL156 Feb 18 - Sky Priority lane: B&R suit carrier was open and my packing cube and shirt folder was poked at; computer bag/briefcase opened and looked inside.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 3:59 am

Programs: BA (sigh) Blue (thanks strikers). Arsenal Gold
FWIW we had the secondary check for a US-bound flight, eventhough we stopped first in Narita (and nearly everyone got off). So if you are on a US-bound flight, or a short hop that continues on to the USA, expect the carry on check.
Old Mar 20, 2013, 6:42 am

They really should have a sign at the gate telling people about this rule. In the US, we are allowed to bring bottle of water bought inside the checkpoint on to the plane. I wonder what do security do with all those bottles of water they confiscated? I think 1 in 3 passenger carries a bottle of water with them.
Old Mar 20, 2013, 7:55 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, B6, CX, KE, Latitude, VIFP, Crown & Anchor, etc.
Thankfully, this is done by private/contract security @ HKIA, it's been in place for years in the post 9.11 era dictated by the Theater Security Animal (a/k/a TSA @ Homeland Security) for all U.S. bound non-stops, flying out of PVG bound for JFK or PEK bound for JFK, you will run into the same annoying pre-boarding gate check with the illusionary security comfort ...

Don't know for sure what they do with it, most of uw give our liquid a few big gulp as the line is long as everyone lined for - and, you can't miss those huge 55 gallon drum(s) in blue as I last saw them that act as a dumpster. Mrs. L made sure it was partially consumed well as she brought the bottled water minutes ago at an over-inflated price at the nearby gift shop

The screening tend to be quick & semi-thorugh, he went thru most laptop compartments but missed the bottled juice in my bottom hidden/security wet cmpartment. At least they didn't bother with shoes & belts off and portable hand sweeper, the whole 9 yard drills as they would need to start gate boarding 2 hours before scheduled departure for a fully booked 747's

And, the stores & food court did NOT post any signs about special signs for USA-bound flights airside in the terminal. Duty-free has signs, I believe and employees do check your BP/eDocs before making the sale.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.