FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hong Kong and Macau (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hong-kong-macau-436/)
-   -   The Peak Hong Kong suggestions needed. (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hong-kong-macau/1409105-peak-hong-kong-suggestions-needed.html)

Steve M Dec 4, 2012 11:16 am

Originally Posted by phol (Post 19791432)
I wouldn't bother with the tram personally

I would/

you cant actually see that much from it.
The views are incredible. I think it is a big disservice to recommend that first-time visitors skip the Peak Tram.

Get a cab or the 15 bus as mentioned, and as soon as you get off head for Lugard road. The whole walk will take you about 1 hour and the views are spectacular. It's also pretty quiet as the majority of mainland China tourists wont venture beyond the shopping centre at the tram station.
I agree that what is a big waste of time is the tourist trap that's above the Peak Tram station at the top. Skip that and do the walk on Lugard Road as suggested above.

rkkwan Dec 4, 2012 7:22 pm

I have rode quite a few funiculars in the world - mostly in N. America and Europe. Some are longer and steeper, but the Peak Tram is quite unusual technically. First, the route has several turns - not straight or a continuous gentle curve like most. Second, the gradient varies along the path. Third, the passenger compartment is like a regular tram/streetcar, and is not stepped. As the gradient increases, you change from a sit-up to recline position, and the buildings outside appear to lean.

The view is still pretty good from the right side of the tram when riding up, and left when down; though with more and more tall highrises built, it has gotten a bit worse over the years.

Steve M Dec 5, 2012 9:56 am

Originally Posted by rkkwan (Post 19797529)
I have rode quite a few funiculars in the world - mostly in N. America and Europe. Some are longer and steeper, but the Peak Tram is quite unusual technically.

That, plus it's a part of Hong Kong's history. It's been in operation since 1888. It's interesting to imagine all of the changes that have occurred around it since then. So, it's a bit more historic than Bus Route 15.

tentseller Dec 5, 2012 5:17 pm

With the recent trend of embracing HK's history is there a display of Peak tram's photo archives?

I remember some photos from my childhood around one of the tram stop, long before the redevelopment of the stop at the top.

cyberon Dec 16, 2012 2:43 am

So do most people recommend the following?

1. using an Octopus card to go up to the peak on the tram, sitting on the right hand side
2. Paying a separate ticket for the Sky Terrace 428 at $30KHD?
3. Catching the 15C bus back down, sitting on the top floor, first row.

Cheers

Xiphen Feb 25, 2013 6:40 am

I've just shown this thread to my friends.
They're cool with the tram and bus idea.
We were like why not experience both since we're there.
Learning more about the octopus card is also great.
You all are just soo awesome.
Really appreciate all the replies, advice and help very much.

Thanks a lot..
Cheers. :)

jamescho Feb 25, 2013 7:03 am

I've mentioned this before, but as an alternative, or maybe an addition to the Sky Terrace, is walking along Lugard Road to a lookout over the harbour. If you take the Peak Tram, exit and walk to the right along a small path for about ten or fifteen minutes. You'll come to a clearing with one of the best views of the harbour that not too many people know about: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...-_Dec_2007.jpg

Xiphen Feb 27, 2013 9:37 am

Originally Posted by jamescho (Post 20312718)
I've mentioned this before, but as an alternative, or maybe an addition to the Sky Terrace, is walking along Lugard Road to a lookout over the harbour. If you take the Peak Tram, exit and walk to the right along a small path for about ten or fifteen minutes. You'll come to a clearing with one of the best views of the harbour that not too many people know about: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...-_Dec_2007.jpg

Awesome. Thanks a lot for the tip.. :)

miloteddy Apr 2, 2013 12:30 pm

I would go with the bus as well. The bus ride to the Peak, and a trip around Lugard Road (on foot) is a great way to soak in great views. The Tram is a long wait at peak times, and is not really that interesting.

Need Apr 15, 2013 2:23 pm

Originally Posted by miloteddy (Post 20523921)
I would go with the bus as well. The bus ride to the Peak, and a trip around Lugard Road (on foot) is a great way to soak in great views. The Tram is a long wait at peak times, and is not really that interesting.

Hmmm... not sure about going up, but take the bus going down only if you are really good at not getting car sick. Some of those bus drivers could give Jay Chou in Initial D a run for the money....

tentseller Apr 15, 2013 8:59 pm

Originally Posted by Need (Post 20596503)
Hmmm... not sure about going up, but take the bus going down only if you are really good at not getting car sick. Some of those bus drivers could give Jay Chou in Initial D a run for the money....

That is why downhill bus 15 Peak to Central Upper front row has been mentioned in the roller-coaster must do list.