Wiki Posts
Search

JW Marriott v. Renaissance Harborview ?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24, 2012, 3:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UnitedMileage Plus Marriott Rewards
JW Marriott v. Renaissance Harborview ?

We will be in Central Hong Kong for 5 nights at the end of March 2013. Our first visit there. Using Marriott points to redeem the stay for 2 people - Silver status. Have just enough (145k) for 5 nights at either JW Marriott or Renaissance Harbour View. JW is 25k points more.

We are normal people and relatively easy to please (Hampton Inns work for me).

1. Ideas?

2. Which has the best chance of upgrade to executive lounge access?

3. Room reservations are for only Cityview - chances of upgrade to Harbour View?

4. Can I reserve now and in January call Marriott and ask for "Gold" challenge in order to effect an upgrade?

Thanks!
Old Oct 24, 2012, 8:14 pm

JW Marriott is a much nicer hotel in a superior location than Renaissance Harbourview.

However, the Dynasty Chinese Restaurant at the Renaissance Harbourview is very good.

Unable to comment on the rest of your questions.
Old Oct 25, 2012, 9:50 am

Programs: BA Gold, JGC Sapphire, OZ Diamond, AF Silver, CX GR, Marriott Lifetime SL
Welcome to Flyertalk, hikerdave

Even I live in Hong Kong I stayed in both hotel for couple of times, so I guess I can give you some decent comment.

1. Depends if you are traveling a lot, and if you are planning to take taxi around, or doing subway. If you take subway a lot, take JW, if not, take Ren. Ren is a fair bit of walk from subway where JW is right on top of it.

Room are small anyways unless you score a suite upgrade (which is, again rare for both hotel)
for which hotel to stay it really depends on your pattern (are you coming to work or travel, are you planning to taxi everywhere or train it, what if you have that extra 25K sitting in your MR account instead of spending it, etc)

2. Absolute no for JW, basically no for Ren
- Just a reminder that even they upgrade you to executive level, they can decline your admittance because you are not entitled to: live in executive floor != lounge access unless you pay the corresponding rate.

3. JW will have lower chance, I got cityview (or hillside view) even I am a Plat, just because I check in late. Note that for JW you can normally pay cash to guarantee upgrade
Ren: As Gold / Plat so far I get harbor view every time.

4. Yes, of course, just a reminder that you better not "hate" yourself to use the quota. If you factor the Gold / Plat. Challenge and to obtain lounge access, JW lounge wins with one of the best lounge serving spread across the system. Ren Lounge is bit dated but still generous offerings.

As a off topic, both hotel offer 20% off for in hotel restaurant. JW has one of the best buffet brunch / dinner offering while the Chinese Restaurant at Ren is a Michelin ones. I recall you have to book ahead of time for both.
dagangwood likes this.
Old Oct 25, 2012, 4:03 pm

Programs: HHonor Dia, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by ChrisLi
As a off topic, both hotel offer 20% off for in hotel restaurant. JW has one of the best buffet brunch / dinner offering while the Chinese Restaurant at Ren is a Michelin ones. I recall you have to book ahead of time for both.
Curious about the 20% off. Is that from elite benefit? Or just for guest of the hotel?
Old Oct 26, 2012, 6:38 am

Programs: BA Gold, JGC Sapphire, OZ Diamond, AF Silver, CX GR, Marriott Lifetime SL
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.6; en-us; GT-I9210 Build/GINGERBREAD) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

Originally Posted by tomy77
Originally Posted by ChrisLi
Curious about the 20% off. Is that from elite benefit? Or just for guest of the hotel?
it probably elite only as I got it printed on my welcome letter. not sure if silver elite get it as well
Old Oct 26, 2012, 2:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Dynasty at Renaissance Harbourview is highly recommended. Especially with the guest dining discount.

I attended private dinner/party there many times; definitely Mich* material.
jonisflying likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.