Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Hong Kong and Macau
Reload this Page >

How good is to buy electronic goods in HK?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2012, 5:19 am
Original Poster

How good is to buy electronic goods in HK? Cameras, laptops, tablets, mobile phones... Is it cheaper than in Europe or not? Is it safe...about international guarantee...?
Thanks!
Old Jul 21, 2012, 10:04 am

Programs: BA Gold, JGC Sapphire, OZ Diamond, AF Silver, CX GR, Marriott Lifetime SL
Depends on where and which brand you buy, you should double check if the product itself include international warranty. Generally speaking if you buy at "reputable store" like fotress and boardway you are pretty safe (of course, again, depends of the actual warranty term)

Let us know what product and brand you are planning to buy we can do a quick check for you
Old Jul 21, 2012, 6:21 pm

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
No idea about Europe but there's isn't much of a difference on name brand stuff compared to US/Canada.
Old Jul 21, 2012, 7:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
HK is cheaper than EU; BUT:
Some products have limited warranty outside the region, Nikon for one.
You will get manuals in local languages (English/Chinese).
The AC plug will be HK style.
Old Jul 22, 2012, 1:02 am
Suspended

Programs: Taiwan is a country.
US is cheaper for the most part, I don't bother buying HK electronics any longer.
Old Jul 22, 2012, 8:10 am

US is cheaper than HK, but models in HK are generally newer/trendier.

HK is cheaper than Europe.

Originally Posted by deadinabsentia
US is cheaper for the most part, I don't bother buying HK electronics any longer.
Old Jul 22, 2012, 8:31 am

Originally Posted by Noodlesz
HK is cheaper than Europe.
The OP is in BCN; I think the main point to consider is that the cost of getting to HK will generally be more than any savings to be made. Unless you definitely need to go to HK already, I would probably look for online retailers in the UK too, as the prices can often be cheaper than HK even after 20% VAT.
Old Jul 22, 2012, 10:21 am
Original Poster

Of course, the main reason why I'm travelling to HK its not shopping...

The places I've read interesting for electronic goods are:
Mongkok Computer Centre (8 Nelson Road, Mongkok)
Wan Chai Computer Centre (Hennessey Road above Wan Chai MTR)
Computer Equipment (Software)
Golden Computer Arcade (Sham Shui Po MTR, Sham Shui Po)

Is it ok?

I've also read that a lot of the bargains have moved "up north" now, to places like Tai Po and Lo Wu in the New Territories. Is it worth the trip?

How much about tablets like Google Nexus 7 or Asus Transformer Pad Infinity?
What about chinese brands like MEIZU or XIAOMI?
Thanks all of you for your hints!
Old Jul 22, 2012, 11:26 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Forget LoWu if you are willing to go to Shenzhen, go to the electronics area which is several subway stops away from LoWu. Everything there will be way cheaper than HK, Europe, or the US, but everything there requires serious bargaining, and once you pay for it, you own it, no matter what happens -- so you have to check everything in detail BEFORE purchase.

Note that you need a China visa to visit Shenzhen.
Old Jul 22, 2012, 7:00 pm

Programs: BA Gold, JGC Sapphire, OZ Diamond, AF Silver, CX GR, Marriott Lifetime SL
Originally Posted by jogb

I've also read that a lot of the bargains have moved "up north" now, to places like Tai Po and Lo Wu in the New Territories. Is it worth the trip?
Those "bargin" are normally brandless and / or without a proper warranty and / or previous versions. you can check taobao.com for that . (recommendation: use google chrome for auto translation)
How much about tablets like Google Nexus 7 or Asus Transformer Pad Infinity?
What about chinese brands like MEIZU or XIAOMI?
Thanks all of you for your hints!
Nexus 7 : We don't have it officially in HK, expect some parallel importers to sell it with a around 1000 HKD premium on top of the suggested retail price

Meizu there's a shop in Hong Kong , approximate location https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=2...sz=16&t=m&z=16

Xiaomi: we don't have it in HK
Old Jul 23, 2012, 2:44 am
Original Poster

Thanks! not planning to go to Shenzhen...visa required...besides, I have a short stay in HK and I wanna visit the city.

I'll check meizu shop as its near my hotel
Old Jul 23, 2012, 8:57 pm

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
The places I've read interesting for electronic goods are:
Mongkok Computer Centre (8 Nelson Road, Mongkok)
Wan Chai Computer Centre (Hennessey Road above Wan Chai MTR)
Computer Equipment (Software)
Golden Computer Arcade (Sham Shui Po MTR, Sham Shui Po)

Is it ok?
I used to go to Sham Shui Po but found many bargains just aren't there anymore. Last time I was there, it was still a treasure trove for pirated software.

I've recently gone to 188 Centre for my fix.
Old Jul 28, 2012, 10:00 am

Programs: AMEX AC CX UA AA DL
Lowest prices are still at Golden. Bought a netbook recently. Price at Fortress 3000.

Same sticker price at Golden, authorized dealers, but free 2GB RAM upgrade. Asked for the price 3 times within a span of 15 minutes in the same store, 1) 2500 Cash 2) 3000 3) 2500 cash/credit.
Old Jul 31, 2012, 1:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
For cameras I'd buy it in high street shops like Broadway - what you need to do is to have an idea about which models you are interested in. Then check this site: price.com.hk - you'll then get a brief idea about prices.

I buy camera in Sai Yeung Choi Street, Mong kok because there are a lot of shops there and therefore the competition is severe. I asked in various Broadways and they have had different prices for the camera (even for branches on the very same street!).

Another thing that is cheap is Bose. I bought my Wave Music System in HK instead of Europe (they even include a European and Australian plug in the box) - I saved HKD 2000 by bring that thing back form HK to Europe. When I bought mine there is a voucher available from Bose (targeted), then I called the shop in Elements they gave me $300 discount (same as the voucher).

I bought my netbook from Golden. You get better models for the same $ you paid in Europe but you might not get warranty.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.