FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hong Kong and Macau (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hong-kong-macau-436/)
-   -   accommodation ideas for family of 5 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hong-kong-macau/1358747-accommodation-ideas-family-5-a.html)

Swiss Tony Jun 20, 2012 1:04 pm

accommodation ideas for family of 5

Any thoughts on which hotels might be appropriate for a family of 5 in HK? Would ideally want to be on the Island, but would consider anywhere between Central and Fortress Hill. If we were on Kowloon side, I'd want to be pretty much ontop of an MTR station.

Kids are quite young so I suspect the best/easiest way to do this is to get two interconnecting rooms with a roll-away in one.

As for budget, I don't want to go crazy so was thinking more a solid 4* than an over the top 5*, but preferably with a pool. Given prices jump around so wildly in HK exact numbers seem difficult to pin down but at a maximum I wouldn't really want to spend more than US$500/nt for all of us.

Thanks

Dolphinyong Jun 20, 2012 1:50 pm

Originally Posted by Swiss Tony (Post 18790526)
Any thoughts on which hotels might be appropriate for a family of 5 in HK? Would ideally want to be on the Island, but would consider anywhere between Central and Fortress Hill. If we were on Kowloon side, I'd want to be pretty much ontop of an MTR station.

Kids are quite young so I suspect the best/easiest way to do this is to get two interconnecting rooms with a roll-away in one.

As for budget, I don't want to go crazy so was thinking more a solid 4* than an over the top 5*, but preferably with a pool. Given prices jump around so wildly in HK exact numbers seem difficult to pin down but at a maximum I wouldn't really want to spend more than US$500/nt for all of us.

Thanks

I know that Marriott Skycity allow 4adults in staying in a deluxe room (with 2double beds) without surcharge, maybe they can add an extra bed for your kid, not sure about that, you need to email them and check it out. However, it's not on the HK island, it's somewhere near the Lantau island, Disneyland and the airport. They do provide free shuttle to the Tung Chung MTR station though=) You can get about 120 USD/night there, pm me if you wanna know how=)

Swiss Tony Jun 20, 2012 3:10 pm

Thanks - 2 rooms would be better, though (I don't want to go to bed at 8pm when I'm on holiday!)

We've only done 5 in one room once and it was a drag...

trueblu Jun 20, 2012 9:48 pm

Originally Posted by Swiss Tony (Post 18791201)
Thanks - 2 rooms would be better, though (I don't want to go to bed at 8pm when I'm on holiday!)

We've only done 5 in one room once and it was a drag...

Welcome to our life! Even when we're in a suite, our daughter pretty much ensures that we have to head to bed when she does. Luckily for us (on holiday, unluckily the other 50 weeks of the year) she goes to bed fairly late.

Sorry I can't actually help with specifics, but your budget seems reasonable enough to get two decent rooms.

tb

Flyersj18 Jun 21, 2012 9:14 am

How long are you staying for? For extended stays (7 nights or more) the Royal Park in Sha Tin has some excellent all inclusive packages. Although it is out of the centre it's only a 3 minute walk to the MTR station through a mall and then 15 to 20 minutes into Tsim Tsa Shui.

The hotel itself is a very solid four star hotel that offers free one way airport transfers and a free shuttle to downtown. Rates for the long staying package are around £100 per night, including breakfast, club access and internet.

I stayed there in February and will probably stay again there next year also.

Swiss Tony Jun 21, 2012 3:42 pm

Likely to be two stays of 2-4 nights each, so don't want to be too far out of the way. Bulk of the things we'll want to do will be on the Island, so being 20 mins further out isn't great.

Thanks for the suggestion though ^

mdevans Jun 22, 2012 8:04 pm

apartment stays

Have a look at http://www.airbnb.com/search?gclid=C...%3D&af=1922719

Seem to be a few places that should suit you

Swiss Tony Jun 23, 2012 2:22 am

Originally Posted by mdevans (Post 18804641)
Have a look at http://www.airbnb.com/search?gclid=C...%3D&af=1922719

Seem to be a few places that should suit you

Interesting - I've heard of that outfit but never looked at the website so your post inspired me to do so.

First one I look at greets me with this...

"Kindly remind that there is no lift in this apartment, It is on 7th Floor if you don't mind to carry the luggage to climb-up."

err, no thanks!

There's one that might work (with a lift) but it's c. £200/nt, which equates to HK$3600. That's about the price of two rooms in the solid 4* places (or even the Langham in Mong Kok) that i've seen.

For a stay of a week I may consider an apartment but for a few nights I'd rather have the 'extras' that come with a hotel.

8dimsum Jul 2, 2012 6:48 pm

We (3 seniors 2F, 1M) had a nice suite at the Royal Plaza, Kowloon side adjacent to a nice mall with lots of eateries and shops. Easy access to MTR and train/buses. close by Ladies market & MongKok by Prince st.

Had a full ensuite bath and a seperate toilet and basin for the "living room", 2 TV sets, 2 queen beds, a roll in cot, full size sofas(I think they could convert to beds), a small dinette set and mini fridge. Clean, quiet spacious rooms. Comfortable. Mezzanine had a nice breakfast buffet set up.

nacho Jul 5, 2012 6:05 pm

Originally Posted by 8dimsum (Post 18860503)
We (3 seniors 2F, 1M) had a nice suite at the Royal Plaza, Kowloon side adjacent to a nice mall with lots of eateries and shops. Easy access to MTR and train/buses. close by Ladies market & MongKok by Prince st.

Had a full ensuite bath and a seperate toilet and basin for the "living room", 2 TV sets, 2 queen beds, a roll in cot, full size sofas(I think they could convert to beds), a small dinette set and mini fridge. Clean, quiet spacious rooms. Comfortable. Mezzanine had a nice breakfast buffet set up.

How much did you pay per night?

nacho Jul 5, 2012 6:12 pm

Originally Posted by Swiss Tony (Post 18805535)
Interesting - I've heard of that outfit but never looked at the website so your post inspired me to do so.

First one I look at greets me with this...

"Kindly remind that there is no lift in this apartment, It is on 7th Floor if you don't mind to carry the luggage to climb-up."

err, no thanks!

For a stay of a week I may consider an apartment but for a few nights I'd rather have the 'extras' that come with a hotel.

I checked the site too and some even said something like 'kids are not welcome'.