Wiki Posts
Search

Checkin and Lounge Access at HKG

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2012, 10:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA PP, AA, DL, WN
Checkin and Lounge Access at HKG

Flying out of HKG tomorrow on TG in C at 8:45 pm. My 19 year old nephew (who is traveling out of the U.S.) for the first time is flying out at 11:30 am on UA in Y.

Planning on checking in and dropping luggage at Airport Express, then heading to the airport. Will I be allowed to go through security at, say 10:00 am for an 8:45 pm flight?

If so, any advice on lounge access for the duration (both with my nephew and after he leaves)? I'm *G, my TG C ticket is UA award miles. My nephew has no status with UA (or anyone else).

I'm looking for somewhere to work and relax after he flies out.

Thanks!
Old Jun 17, 2012, 11:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K, 1.6MM bis
Your key question is whether or not TG will issue you your boarding pass in the morning for an evening flight. If you can call TG, I'd suggest you do that and find out. If I am not mistaken (I might be wrong here), I think that checking in at the Airport Express station means that the TG counter there will be open when the Airport Express train is operating. Hopefully you can get your boarding pass easily.

Assuming you can get your TG boarding pass, per your *G status you and one guest can enter the lounge. BTW note that you will need your *G card just to be sure you can get admission (ie don't assume that just because your BP says *G that without the card the lounge dragons will let you into their lounge):

http://www.staralliance.com/en/benef...silver-status/

There are three *G lounges at HKG. They are SQ, TG and UA. There's another thread in one of the forums concerning the three lounges, but if you want need internet access, I'd suggest the SQ lounge as being the best among the three as it as the most terminals of the three, something like two dozen machines, half PC, half Mac. If you want a desk type situation, I'd suggest the UA lounge. UA and TG have showers although I like the UA one more. And after all that hard work, the TG lounge has massage chairs!

Last edited by dsgtc0408; Jun 17, 2012 at 11:26 pm
Old Jun 18, 2012, 5:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
this might be a better link

http://www.staralliance.com/en/benef...access-policy/

as it says explicitly that the guest can depart on any *a flight.
Old Jun 18, 2012, 7:10 am

I see no issues as long as you have your boarding pass about going in at 10am. I also see no issues about getting your boarding pass early, since TG flies all day, either at the airport or via airport express check-in.

In summary, I see no issues, other than you may be bored at the airport all day and flight delays due to the nearby typhoon.

Originally Posted by sidne
Flying out of HKG tomorrow on TG in C at 8:45 pm. My 19 year old nephew (who is traveling out of the U.S.) for the first time is flying out at 11:30 am on UA in Y.

Planning on checking in and dropping luggage at Airport Express, then heading to the airport. Will I be allowed to go through security at, say 10:00 am for an 8:45 pm flight?

If so, any advice on lounge access for the duration (both with my nephew and after he leaves)? I'm *G, my TG C ticket is UA award miles. My nephew has no status with UA (or anyone else).

I'm looking for somewhere to work and relax after he flies out.

Thanks!
Old Jun 18, 2012, 7:26 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Can you do OLCI? I don't know specifically about TG policies, but IME it's almost expected that one gets the boarding pass early at the airport express train stations. They advertise the convenience of dropping off luggage early and checking in, and then going to the airport later in the day with no waiting in line.
Old Jun 18, 2012, 7:50 am

American regulations require a second security screening at the gate. Passengers need to queue to have their bags searched the second time at the gate before boarding. No bottle water or liquid of any kind even if bought airside. So boarding time will likely be around 10:30AM for 11:30AM departure to allow for the second security screening.

Your nephew should be at the Airport Express station by 9AM latest to check in, the train ride as well as security and immigration formalities. UA usually uses the gates # 60's and it's a long way and you'd have to take the shuttle train. That does not leave a lot of time to be spent at the UA Club or TG ROL.

You should be able to check in for your TG flight at 9AM but please enquire with TG to be sure.

Yes, you will be allowed to go through security and immigration at 10AM for a 8:45PM flight. Are you planning to leave for the airport in the morning to spend the whole day there until your TG departure in the evening?

Last edited by Clipper801; Jun 18, 2012 at 8:00 am
Old Jun 18, 2012, 10:03 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the info. I thought I could probably go through security early, but just never tried that early before the flight. (I have had U.S. airlines refuse to
take luggage that early when flying domestically. But the Airport Express Station luggage check will take care of that, if it's an issue.)

You're right that my nephew will need the secondary screening when heading to the U.S. of course. Thanks for the reminder.

I'm not really super-concerned that he get to experience the lounge. But if his flight is delayed (due to the typhoon, etc.) or we end up getting through the airport/security really early, it would be a good place to spend a few minutes.

I really am planning on spending all day at the airport. I have the work to do and I don't see any reason to head back into HK to try to find a place to work. I've already spent about 2 weeks in HK the past couple of months, so, while I love the place, I don't feel the need to run around and tourist.

Did pull out my UA MP *G card for the lounge dragons....
Old Jun 18, 2012, 12:00 pm

I am pretty sure that you will be able to check in your 8:45PM TG flight at 9AM at the Airport Express Station.

For the best food, I'd go to SQ Silverkris lounge near Gate 15. However, this SQ lounge has no window and no on-site toilet!
Old Jun 18, 2012, 12:58 pm

Programs: AMEX AC CX UA AA DL
Airport Express check-in:

"Airlines in Red , have Day Before Check-in Service", which include TG. You can even check in 24 hrs ahead.

http://www.mtr.com.hk/chi/getting_ar...mages/itci.pdf
Old Jun 18, 2012, 2:54 pm

"Group" discount tickets on the Airport Express

Also forgot to mention if you're travelling with your nephew on the Airport Express train, don't forget to ask for the "Group of 2" discount tickets!

http://www.mtr.com.hk/eng/whatsnew/p..._4persons.html
Old Jun 19, 2012, 2:01 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by beep88
Airport Express check-in:

"Airlines in Red , have Day Before Check-in Service", which include TG. You can even check in 24 hrs ahead.

http://www.mtr.com.hk/chi/getting_ar...mages/itci.pdf
Luckily I didn't need to show up at HKG 24 hours early! I'm growing bored as it is. Nephew's flight left on time about 4 1/2 hours ago.

No lounge for him (we really wouldn't have had much time) and he wanted Popeye's instead. (Really!)

But I've been happily ensconced at the SQ lounge for the duration noshing and sipping champagne while working. Not a bad day!

Good thing, too. Tonight I'm spending about 12 hours at BKK.... (As much as possible of it asleep.)

Is there some kind of record for longest airport stay?

Missed the hint regarding the discount for a 2 person trip on the Airport Express. I could have kept an extra 20 HKD!

BTW, anyone looking for lounge access to SQ (or later TG) lounges for the next 3-4 hours at HKG, pm me.

Thanks!
Old Jun 19, 2012, 6:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
Luckily I didn't need to show up at HKG 24 hours early! I'm growing bored as it is.
No, I think the point is you check in at the airport express station but don't get on the train. If you have a very early flight, you can get rid of the bags then go back to the hotel, boarding passes in hand. You then just go straight to the airport and on to the gate the next morning!
Old Jun 19, 2012, 6:44 am

Originally Posted by Swiss Tony
No, I think the point is you check in at the airport express station but don't get on the train. If you have a very early flight, you can get rid of the bags then go back to the hotel, boarding passes in hand. You then just go straight to the airport and on to the gate the next morning!
For those who don't know, just beware that this in-town check-in service is available exclusively to Airport Express passengers and is not "free". One must purchase an Airport Express ticket, or an Airport Express Travel Pass, or use an Octopus card with sufficient stored value to acess the check-in area. One will not be able to enter the check-in area without one. The Airport Express fare is deducted as one passes through the turntile. If one intends to use a different mode of transport to the airport than the Airport Express, this may be a rather expensive convenience fee.
Old Jun 19, 2012, 7:38 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Swiss Tony
Sorry I wasn't clear in my joke... I just meant that at least my nephew didn't leave from HKG 24 hours earlier than me (rather than 9 hours earlier).

I know that most people who check luggage 9 (or 24 hours) earlier than their flights at the Airport Express Station aren't heading to the airport immediately.

Anyway, thanks to everyone for the information. If anyone's wondering for the future, it apparently is possible to go through immigration at HKG at least 11 hours in advance. No one batted an eye.
Old Jun 20, 2012, 8:02 am

Programs: BA Gold, JGC Sapphire, OZ Diamond, AF Silver, CX GR, Marriott Lifetime SL
Is there some kind of record for longest airport stay?
I onced stayed at the Cabin for 8 hour (12pm - 8pm) because the need to guest in a family member, then work all the way till my 9pm Departure to Taiwan

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.