Chinese New Year 2013 in HKG

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2012, 9:46 pm
Original Poster

Location: Homosassa, FL & Ringwood, NJ -UA-G(Lifetime); SPG-Plat (Lifetime)

I have a couple of free tickets I need to use by the end of February 2013. Can someone confirm that the Fireworks display will be on February 11, 2013?
Thanks.
Old May 20, 2012, 9:53 pm

Yes, you are correct. Confirmed through here.
http://www.discoverhongkong.com/eng/...event_id=60197

Originally Posted by Vulcan
I have a couple of free tickets I need to use by the end of February 2013. Can someone confirm that the Fireworks display will be on February 11, 2013?
Thanks.
Old May 20, 2012, 10:05 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the quick reply!
Old Aug 15, 2012, 7:54 am

Programs: AA, UAL, *wood Gold, Marriott
Location for Firewoks?

My wife and I will be there over the same period, booked the Sheraton with points and plan on upgrading when we arrive. Told by the hotel they will want 50/USD a night, but told by FT I can negotiate it to 25/USD.

I bring this up, because I want to watch the fireworks from the hotel and my room. That said, if I can't do the upgrade I need a new view point.

Having stood with thousands of my closest friends for the Macy's Fireworks (NYer here) I can tell you it's not fun. Anyone recommend a restaurant where we can enjoy the view / show (along with the food)?

Thanks.
Old Aug 16, 2012, 2:34 am

Programs: CX Diamond
Felix at the top of the Peninsula. Book early though
Old Aug 30, 2012, 1:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Would IC GS be a good option for fireworks watching?

In terms of points and benefits I'd prefer Conrad but I suspect it's too far from the action.
Old Sep 7, 2012, 11:24 am

A reminder that most shops are closed during the first few days of Chinese new year. So if you plan to do any shopping there I suggest doing it before CNY or a few days after CNY. Put that on your schedule of things to do and not do.
Old Sep 8, 2012, 12:56 am

Originally Posted by vwtoys
A reminder that most shops are closed during the first few days of Chinese new year. So if you plan to do any shopping there I suggest doing it before CNY or a few days after CNY. Put that on your schedule of things to do and not do.
This might have been true 10 years ago but now it is rare to find stores closed. There might be slightly reduced opening hours (read 10am - 8pm rather than 10am-10pm) but otherwise very much business as usual.

CNY is a big holiday for mainland tour groups and HK shops are not going to pass up that opportunity
Old Sep 8, 2012, 12:57 am

Originally Posted by azepine00
Would IC GS be a good option for fireworks watching?

In terms of points and benefits I'd prefer Conrad but I suspect it's too far from the action.
If you have a high floor with a harbour view you'll be fine at the conrad
Old Sep 10, 2012, 1:57 pm
Original Poster

Towers Lounge at the Sheraton worked well for me 2 years ago.
Old Oct 1, 2012, 1:34 pm

I also will be in HKG during CNY. Anyone know what time the fireworks start so I can book reservations at Felix?
Old Oct 2, 2012, 4:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
Has always been 8pm.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 5:31 am

hi..
can you tell me if the attraction in hongkong are open at CNY ? like madame Tussaud , The Peak , Ngongping cablecar - giant Budha, Jumbo Seafood resto ?
Old Oct 24, 2012, 8:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
Originally Posted by etanime
hi..
can you tell me if the attraction in hongkong are open at CNY ? like madame Tussaud , The Peak , Ngongping cablecar - giant Budha, Jumbo Seafood resto ?
All open.
Old Nov 3, 2012, 4:01 am

Some stores are closed over CNY, but the major tourist attractions are all open. Be prepared for somewhat longer queues though.

As far as hotels are concerned, I may not recommend something on an extremely high floor, as the weather is *very* unpredictable during that time of year, and low clouds may obscure your views.

Another place that's excellent for fireworks is at Aqua on One Peking Road. (30/F)... do reserve way in advance though, as with every other Chinese New Year event...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.