Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Hong Kong and Macau
Reload this Page >

Shopping for a Laptop messenger bag in HK

Old Apr 7, 12, 11:59 am
Original Poster

Is there a good luggage store in HK that specializes in laptop bags?

Last time I stopped over in HK, I wandered through some arcades and department stores around Causeway bay and found mostly designer luggage and not that much in functional luggage.

I'm after a functional laptop messenger-type bag. Something like a timbuk2, t-tech or osprey

Last edited by pseudo; Apr 7, 12 at 12:32 pm
Old Apr 7, 12, 12:12 pm

Programs: AA PLT, DL GOLD
I got the Timbuk2 command 2.0 messenger bag three months ago and it is a great bag. They just came out with new models that have a few new features.

I have no idea about where to get them in HK.
Old Apr 7, 12, 8:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Earth. Residency:HKG formerly:YYZ Business: ATL, PVG, PEK, CAN, SZX, MNL, SIN, KUL, BKK, SGN, CPT, UIO
Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Any of the HK "Computer Center" should have "Stores" selling bag. If you are after a specific make/model I would check the manufacturer's site for HK sellers.
Old Apr 7, 12, 8:49 pm

Programs: CX Diamond
Try the 10th floor of Windsor House in Causeway Bay. There is at least one shop that does computer bags.

Also try the Wan Chai Computer Centre on Hennessy Road (above Wan Chai MTR). There are a few shops in there that may have what you are looking for.
Old Apr 7, 12, 9:18 pm

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
For a real store, probably Fortress. For no-name stuff, probably Golden Computer Centre in Sham Shui Po.
Old Apr 8, 12, 2:43 am
Original Poster

I been into Golden Computer center (picked up a games console for my kid) and they only had stodgy old laptop cases. Most of the computer accessories shops I have been to their just sell the usual generic computer bags and a few brand names like Targus, Belkin, Case Logic etc.

To give you an idea what I was looking for, check the spec of the Timbuk2 command 2.0 (very nice) or STM Velo (also nice and a better price)
Old Apr 8, 12, 3:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
Apple's HK website sells a couple of STM models, but not the Velo. Maybe you should check their flagship store at ifc to see if they have anything like what you want.
Old Apr 8, 12, 11:56 am

Originally Posted by pseudo View Post
To give you an idea what I was looking for, check the spec of the Timbuk2 command 2.0 (very nice) or STM Velo (also nice and a better price)
Hmm.... they look like normal laptop cases to me - just with brighter colours. I've even got one like that (Lenovo) that my IT guy gave me but sits in an office drawer, unused. If you're ever in YVR, I'll just give it to you.

Myself, I use the Tumi T-tech line. If you're in the US, you might try going to a Tumi outlet as I was just at one yesterday and they had tons of models similar to what you're looking for (although they didn't have the one I use).
Old Apr 9, 12, 2:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Braindrain View Post
Hmm.... they look like normal laptop cases to me - just with brighter colours. I've even got one like that (Lenovo) that my IT guy gave me but sits in an office drawer, unused. If you're ever in YVR, I'll just give it to you.

Myself, I use the Tumi T-tech line. If you're in the US, you might try going to a Tumi outlet as I was just at one yesterday and they had tons of models similar to what you're looking for (although they didn't have the one I use).
The OEM ones tend to look good but don't perform very well. I keep going back to my trusty STM backpack after trying various bags, that have been given to me. Problem is the backpack is starting to resemble something like a hobo would carry around (it's now around 10 years old)

Actually I wouldn't be asking if heading to North America (I haven't been there in about 3 years) as it's the best place to get this sort of luggage. Seems most of my international travel is converging around Asia.

I think you are right about the coloring of the Timbuk2. I thought there may have been a toned down version of them when I looked at them. The T-Tech are quite nice but I saw a messenger
for US$250 last year (at an Airport luggage store) and that seemed a bit rich.

Thats why I wanted to find some sort of speciality store in HK so I can peruse and find a suitable candidate that will give me practicality and look smart.
Old Apr 10, 12, 12:33 am

If you know what model you're looking for, might I suggest going to "respected" online stores that sell Tumi/other brands or, if you want to roll the dice, buy it off Fleabay?

I've never looked at laptop bags in HK but have looked at hardware and the prices don't seem any better than what I can get in YVR.
Old May 2, 12, 10:35 am

298 Hennessy Rd is another computer mall in Wan Chai. More local, and hence cheaper, than the famous one next to the MTR station. This mall focuses more on selling accessories and doing repairs rather than actual computer sales.

I have seen a number of laptop bag stalls, and actually bought mine here as well.
Old May 5, 12, 11:15 pm

There is a bag shop in the computer mall of Star house near the TST star ferry pier. Another place probably worth looking at is SIM City in Mong Kok.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: