Wiki Posts
Search

Intercontinental or Conrad?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2011, 1:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP
Intercontinental or Conrad?

Any suggestions on which hotel to book an award stay at? It'll be for 4 nights in April 2012. I'm Hilton Gold and PC Platinum (not sure whether that will make any difference). 145k Hilton points vs 160k PC points.

Has anyone been to both/have any comments?

editing this a bit. The guests will be three 20-somethings, if that makes a difference.

Last edited by ken7; Nov 30, 2011 at 1:50 pm
Old Dec 4, 2011, 2:03 am

Programs: BA Gold, JGC Sapphire, OZ Diamond, AF Silver, CX GR, Marriott Lifetime SL
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

I will suppose Conrad is easier in terms of transportation and all the happenings (LKF, soho and Causeway bay).

IC is a nice location but needs a bit of walk to everything, and especially painful to cross the harbor mos of the time. And if they are 3x 20 something I suppose they will be out a lot so the view at IC won't differe too much.
Old Dec 5, 2011, 3:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, HH Gold, Marriott Gold Elite
145K HH points for 4 nights at Conrad, that's a steal. I ponied up 150K points for 3 nights in October. Hilton Gold may get up ug'd to the Executive Floor with access to the lounge. In case you don't get up'd, you still get free buffet breakfast and in-room internet.
Old Dec 5, 2011, 9:38 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy Titanium
I can't believe I'm saying it, as the ICHK is my favorite hotel in the world, but assuming for 160K, you would get some kind of non-harbour-view room, then I'd take the Conrad.

But - a visit or 2 to the lobby bar @ the IC is a must.

If, somehow, the IC is offering a harbour-view, no-brainer for me to stay @ the IC. Getting across is definitely less convenient than if actually staying on the HK side, but still very easy on the MTR.
Old Dec 6, 2011, 9:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
I'd favour the Conrad. IC don't care about PC Plat, you'd have to buy Ambassador to get any recognition and I believe I'm right in saying no way would you get into the lounge free of charge. At least you have some chance of that with the Conrad...

Must admit, staying in a harbour view junior suite at the IC does give a world class view and the lounge was very, very nice, (a bit less formal than the Conrad one I reckon) but arguably neither of those points are of relevance for your comparison.

Transport from the IC also sucks, IMO...
Old Dec 6, 2011, 11:45 am

Programs: LatinPass MM, HH Diamond, NW Platinum, Delta DM MM, SPG
staying at the Conrad for the 4th time in 5 yrs this weekend. The executive lounge and breakfasts are awesome. harbor view is great. They will require an added charge for an extra roll away bed - but the free booze and breakfast in the executive lounge more than make up for it. The roll away is real comfortable!
Old Dec 7, 2011, 9:31 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, HH Gold, Marriott Gold Elite
Originally Posted by TexasYankee
the free booze and breakfast in the executive lounge more than make up for it.
I never tried the breakfast at the executive lounge, I chosed to have my free breakfasts at the Garden Cafe instead and loved it, probably the best buffet breakfast I had in any hotel. I have learnt from the Hilton and W hotel stays in the past that the breakfast usually are better at the full restaurants than the Executive Lounges.
Old Dec 8, 2011, 11:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by TexasYankee
staying at the Conrad for the 4th time in 5 yrs this weekend. The executive lounge and breakfasts are awesome. harbor view is great. They will require an added charge for an extra roll away bed - but the free booze and breakfast in the executive lounge more than make up for it. The roll away is real comfortable!
Are you assuming that I'd receive lounge access with HH Gold?
Old Dec 8, 2011, 9:40 pm

Programs: AA EXP >3 Million miles,HH Lifetime Diamond
Have stayed at the Conrad many times and back again next month. Great service location Can walk most of central hong kong. Subway and shopping ,
Mmall attached to bldg
And 145k points is a great deal.
Old Dec 10, 2011, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Conrad is a nobrainer choice.

PC Plat is almost nobody at IC. Award nights give you the most basic room has 0 view. The location of the hotel is nice, the award room quality is poor.
IC never gives free lounge access even for RA. You can of course pony up to pay for that though at the price they charge, I dont feel it is worth it unless your intention is to stay at the lounge for many hours of the day to make the most out of it...

How many hours you can stare at the harbour, seriously? You can enjoy similar view at the Starbuck a little bit walk down the promenade. Or you can go to the Culture and Art Center and have a dim sum lunch at Serenade (Is it the name of the restaurant?) by the window - same harbour view with a far more reasonable price than IC's lobby bar.

Also keep in mind Conrad is a much newer hotel than IC which is from the old Regent, that was built over 30 years ago! Also there is now a big construction area right next to IC - the old New World Center shopping mall was torn down for a new building which surely would not be near completion by Apr 2012 - so you would endure a lot of noise if staying at IC.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.