Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Waldorf Astoria Shanghai on the Bund {CHN}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Waldorf Astoria Shanghai on the Bund {CHN}

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2010, 3:14 am

Programs: BA Gold (CCR), Cartafreccia, HH Diamond, Esselunga Fidaty Gold
Originally Posted by IC6A
The price is highly inflated. Smart travellers will alter this hotel. InterContinental, Westin, St. Regis would be much better choice.
Not agree. The position of this hotel is second to none. And in my opinion this is one of the best hotels (if not the best) in Shanghai. Even after the opening of the new tower.
Prices in the Long Bar are quite high, bur for a cocktail I paid 80 RMB with some small shrimps snacks, chips and nuts. For the same cocktail plus some peanuts I paid 40 RMB in the bar of a medium class hotel out of Shanghi.
In the restaurant I had a wonderful experience, with top service and great staff.
I could only agree about the breakfast: the Salon de Ville is too much formal, you can order only à la carte and the seating is not very comfortable for the breakfast. Probably after the opening of the new tower they will add a buffet breakfast in the new restaurant, but in the meantime I suggest the nearby Starbucks or any other options but not the Salon de Ville.
Old Oct 30, 2010, 7:39 am

Programs: Marriott/SPG Lifetime P, IC RA, Hyatt D
Originally Posted by Aldebaran
The position of this hotel is second to none. And in my opinion this is one of the best hotels (if not the best) in Shanghai. Even after the opening of the new tower.
I haven't got a chance to stay at the Waldorf yet. IMHO, the top hotels in Shanghai are:
- Peninsula Hotel
- Park Hyatt
- Ritz Carlton Pudong

Followed by
- JW Marriott
- Puli
- Pudong Shangri-La
- Westin Bund Center
- Le Royal Meridien
- Ritz Carlton
- Hyatt on the Bund
- Four Seasons

It's a shame that the Four Seasons and St Regis in Shanghai are not on par with their brand quality. Let's see how good the future 12 at Hengshan and W are.

Last edited by TravellerOnline; Oct 30, 2010 at 8:00 am
Old Nov 9, 2010, 10:23 pm

Programs: Mlife Plat,Total Rewards Diamond, UA Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Hertz 5*, Avis Presidents C
more info on Pelham's

I had the opportunity to eat dinner at Pelham's last night and I thoroughly enjoyed the entire experience. This restaurant features classic American dishes with a creative twist that enhances the dish yet doesn't spoil the classic flavor profile that you love about the classic versions you have had all your life.

The restaurant features a show kitchen, cleverly encased in glass so that you get the view, but not the noise. The service was typical Asian attentiveness, but unlike the Park Hyatt, this staff was able to deliver it without you feeling like you were being "watched" the whole time. To me that's the difference between excellent and superb.

I had a reservation and was immediately seated and asked what I would like to drink. I opted for a glass of champagne and some sparkling water with lime. Of course both were promptly delivered and I was shown both bottles before they were poured. The "house" champagne had lovely notes of fresh bread and a little pear with a very smooth finish. [forgot the brand/year will add this back later]

My first course was the foie gras with fresh fig. This dish in general is a bit rich for my taste, however I must comment that the specific execution here consisted of an incredibly light texture and an indulgently rich flavor. The figs are seasonal so you may find a different pairing at other times of the year. Worth noting is that the dish here is made with goose liver instead of duck...

The next course was a fried dungeness crab cake with mango slaw. This was my favorite dish of the evening! The crab cake had very high quality crab meat and the lightest, crispiest exterior one could want. The mango slaw was an absolutely perfect pairing with a hint of spice to balance out the sweetness of the mango and the crunch really complemented the tenderness of the crab. I could have eaten about 10 more of these!

The next course was a lobster bisque with cold water lobster imported from Boston. The presentation is beautiful as you are served the lobster by itself first, and then the broth is poured over it at your table so that you can see the exquisite beauty of the tender meat. The broth has a hearty flavor that doesn't overpower the sweetness of the meat, and isn't overly rich so that you can finish it without filling yourself up before your main course.

Shortly after I was served the halibut with lemon cream sauce. The fish was incredibly fresh resulting in a very mild taste that allowed the subtle lemon flavor in the sauce to still come through. Some very thin crisp shredded radish was served on top to add a little bit of crunch to contrast with the extreme tenderness of the succulent white meat.

A choice of fresh baked bread was offered with rich creamery butter. I opted for the sourdough which was crusty on the outside, yet warm and soft on the inside.

My main course was the Wagyu New York Strip with chimichurri sauce. This was one of the finest pieces of meat I have had - perfect marbling and cooked medium rare. You can really taste the quality of the ingredients in all the dishes, but the quality of this beef was superb. I am a big fan of chimichurri sauce so having it served with this beautiful steak was a big win with me. I really feel that we far too often undervalue the enhancement that fresh herbs bring to our cuisine. Chickpeas were served alongside with a seasoning that paired quite will with the steak. My server suggested a beautiful red wine that had a very light characteristic to it which is very refreshing compared to other Pinot Noir's I've had. I highly recommend asking for suggestions of wine to pair with whatever meal you order!

Dessert was absolutely fantastic. I ordered the s'mores which was an adult version of something I loved as a child. You won't find packaged artificial marshmallows here! I could tell that this one was freshly made from scratch, and oh what a difference it makes. Anyone who's tasted fresh marshmallow will never go back to the packaged ones! The chocolate portion looked like some sort of brownie. Rich dark chocolate flavor with a moist chewy texture and a thin layer of decadent fudge icing. A huge improvement over a Hershey bar! Grahm cracker was delivered via fresh ice cream as the vehicle. This was a genius way to present the grahm cracker while also introducing the creamy texture and coldness of the ice cream to the dish. I would much rather have this than a classic campfire s'more any day, and I definitely want S'more!

petit fours included a mini peanut butter cookie and a cheescake bite on a stick. Nothing says classic new york like cheesecake! Both were light and just the right size to top off an extraordinary meal.

if you stay at this property or not (I was at the Park Hyatt), do yourself a favor and have a meal at Pelham's while you are in Shanghai!
Old Nov 10, 2010, 6:06 am

Location: Chapel Hill, NC - UA Nobody (sigh)/0.925MM, HHonors Diamond
Nice dinner report HunterSFO. Care to share what the meal cost?
Old Nov 10, 2010, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Chapel Hill Guy
Nice dinner report HunterSFO. Care to share what the meal cost?
Or stated perhaps more subtly, how many points did you get for the dinner?
Old Nov 10, 2010, 10:56 am

Location: Chapel Hill, NC - UA Nobody (sigh)/0.925MM, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by mnredfox
Or stated perhaps more subtly, how many points did you get for the dinner?
Ah, but the OP did not stay at the WA:

Originally Posted by HunterSFO
if you stay at this property or not (I was at the Park Hyatt), do yourself a favor and have a meal at Pelham's while you are in Shanghai!
Old Nov 13, 2010, 7:30 am

Programs: BA Gold (CCR), Cartafreccia, HH Diamond, Esselunga Fidaty Gold
Pelham's restaurant

My experience at the Pelham's restaurant was like the one perfectly described by HunterSFO so I don't need to add other details and I highly recommend to visit this restaurant if you stay at the WA.

During my stay on a Q3FN I received 4235 basic points for:
-Dinner for two with wine at Pelham's (15% discount on food bill as a Diamond member)
-Full american breakfast for two at Salon de Ville
-4 drinks at the Long Bar (2 free drinks as a Diamond member)
-Some laundry expenses
Old Nov 13, 2010, 8:40 am

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Chapel Hill Guy
Ah, but the OP did not stay at the WA:
Isn't eating at a restaurant not in your hotel a crime (as in lost opp to lose points)?
Old Nov 19, 2010, 7:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP >3 Million miles,HH Lifetime Diamond
Enjoy Enjoy just returned from a stay at this property. Beautiful, grand old building, restored to perfection. brings you back in time. Staff is wonderful and makes you feel as if you are the only guest in the hotel. Working out the kinks of a new hotel, but that is part of the adventure. Understands the loyal customer and treats you as such. As of now, only the old building is open, but the new tower is expected to open in December, so dont know where you will end up. The views as you walk out the front door and and night are fantastic, and you will smile every time the doors are opened on your return.
Old Nov 20, 2010, 1:44 pm

Location: In between BRU, BSL , AOI and the rest of the world
Programs: BAEC Gold, LX Sen, HH Diamond, SPG Plat, MR Silver
Angry

Originally Posted by SHIXIN
The opening was delayed to Oct 1st.

No standard room available at that moment, only suites.

Price from USD 1000 ++

Can't redeemed by Q3FN

There is another thread on this hotel , where you can read that few members have been able to redeem Q3FNs. However, when I i tried to use mine, I was told by the diamond desk that , as the Hotel has for the moment only suites, till the tower with standard rooms is open, there is no possibiility to use points/certificates at this Hotel
Old Nov 21, 2010, 10:22 am

Originally Posted by crazyit
There is another thread on this hotel , where you can read that few members have been able to redeem Q3FNs. However, when I i tried to use mine, I was told by the diamond desk that , as the Hotel has for the moment only suites, till the tower with standard rooms is open, there is no possibiility to use points/certificates at this Hotel
Call again.
Old Apr 16, 2011, 12:22 am

I stayed at W=A Tower Shanghai for 2 nights recently, few days before the Grand Opening (18th April). Here are some random thoughts.

1. Tower entrance is not easily located by taxi drivers. In order for you to be dropped off right in front of the hotel entrance, a taxi has to make an entry into parking area (?) by turning right, then turn right again. It's not the easiest way to arrive, particularly if you don't speak Chinese and have no idea how to get to the porte cochere.

2. Since I was such a dummy, I agreed to be dropped off on the corner, thus had to walk with my luggage and got ignored by the doorman. Once I was inside the hotel, porter grabbed my luggage immediately.

3. Check-in was a bit longish, staff visibly nervous, should be better soon.

4. Sometimes I got greeted by at least 7 or 8 people in the Lobby and twice found the Concierge desk to be deserted.

5. Room's spacious (view of Westin Hotel) and features all the bell and whistle of a 5 star property. I love the 'magic window' between room and bath that turns clear/opaque with a switch of a button and the fabulous Toto toilet (similar to Park Hyatt Shanghai's)

6. Dinner at Pelham's was rather disappointing. The chef was kind enough to say Hello after the meal - but the food itself (taglietelle with pork shoulder and braised short ribs) was a letdown. Room's pretty.

Here are some room pictures...

Old Oct 8, 2011, 8:36 pm
In memoriam

Programs: UA GS/1K/2MM, HH Diamond, Starwood Gold, Marriott Gold
Waldorf Astoria Shanghai

Does anyone know if the Waldorf Astoria Shanghi has an Executive floor or Executive lounge
Old Oct 9, 2011, 12:53 am
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hilton*D, Marriott*LG, Hyatt*G
Please continue discussion in the Hilton HHonors forum.

luxury
Co-Moderator
Luxury Hotels
Old Oct 9, 2011, 2:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP; HH Diamond
It does not seem to have a dedicated executive lounge or executive floors. The free breakfast is served in the restaurant below the lobby.

Originally Posted by spaceman
Does anyone know if the Waldorf Astoria Shanghi has an Executive floor or Executive lounge

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.