Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Aberdeen City Centre {GBR}

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Aberdeen City Centre {GBR}

Hide Wikipost
Old Aug 9, 15, 7:34 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Skimanant
Wiki Link
This is a community-maintained wiki post. Please add important information to it or correct outdated information by clicking the "Edit" button below!

DoubleTree by Hilton Aberdeen City Centre
Beach Boulevard, Aberdeen AB24 5EF, United Kingdom
Tel: +44 1224 633 339

Check-in: 15:00 | Check-out: 11:00

Facilities
  • Lounge (Platinum wing) -August 2015 not an exec lounge. No drinks available.
  • Breakers Beauty Spa -August 2015 Gym only
  • Fitness room, pool, sauna, steam room, and whirlpool -August 2015 Pool closed.
  • Conference rooms
  • Footdees and The Conservatory restaurants
  • Laundry/valet service
  • Baggage storage
  • Room service
  • Forex exchange
  • Business centre, fax, copying etc, video conferencing

Hotel policies
  • Pets: Allowed (max weight 34kg) subject to non-refundable deposit of £35.00
  • Smoking: Non smoking property advertised; actual unverified
  • Parking: Self parking, free; No valet

HHonors Reward Category 4

The Doubletree comprises of two adjacent properties, the atrium wing in the DoubleTree proper and the Platinum annex. Both have dedicated check-in desks located in their respective reception areas.

Getting to the DoubleTree
From Aberdeen Railway Station, Guild Street
1.0 mi | 20 minutes by foot

By foot
Exit the station and turn right on to Guild Street, head in the direction of the harbour, then a left on to Market Street. Follow Market Street up the hill to the junction of Union Street. Turn right on to Union Street and continue towards Castle Street. You'll see the castellated Salvation Army Citadel straight ahead. Continue past the Citadel on Justice Street. At the roundabout at the foot of Justice Street, turn right (anti-clockwise) and take the fourth exit onto Beach Boulevard. Continue along Beach Boulevard for 0.3 mi, then turn left into Links Road. The DoubleTree is clearly signposted at the junction of Links Road and Beach Boulevard.

By bus
Bus 13 Pink Line (operated by First Aberdeen) for Golf Links. Buses operate between Union Street and Links Road every 20 minutes throughout the day Monday to Friday, and less frequently after 6pm. The service runs every 30 minutes on Saturday and Sundays.

Bus 15 Salmon Line (operated by First Aberdeen) for Sea Beach. Buses operate between Union Street and Beach Boulevard every 30 minutes throughout the day but does not run after 7pm.

Check First Aberdeen's website for current timetables http://www.firstgroup.com/ukbus/aberdeen/

Adult bus fares are around £2.50 single. You just pay as you board but expect to tender exact change. You can overpay but you will not receive change.

By taxi
The short run from the station to the hotel costs approximate £8 by taxi. Taxis are metered by distance and time so the fare will vary slightly depending on traffic conditions.

From Union Square Bus Station
1.0 mi | 20 minutes by foot

If you are arriving by intercity coach, just follow the directions from the Railway Station above. The two stations are adjacent.

From Aberdeen Airport (ABZ)
7.2 mi | Drive time 20 minutes in good traffic

By taxi
Fares are metered by time and distance. Expect to pay between £15 and £20 depending on traffic.

By bus
Jet 727 (operated by Stagecoach Bluebird) to Union Square.
Journey time: approx 30 minutes
Fares: £2.70 adult single | £4.50 adult return

This limited stopping service runs between the Airport and Union Square at Guild Street. The stop nearest to the DoubleTree is at Marischal College on Broad Street, a grand silver granite landmark, iconic of the city. Buses run every 20 minutes throughout the day (Monday to Saturday) and every 30 minutes evenings and Sundays. You continue your journey to the hotel by bus from Union Street (Bus 13 or 15)

Bus 27 (operated by First Aberdeen) to Union Square
Fares: £2.50 adult single | £1.10 child single
Journey time: approx 50 minutes
First Aberdeen operates its own service between the Airport and Guild Street, the number 27. It follows a different and more scenic route into the city centre but this service is infrequent (Monday to Friday, morning and afternoon peak only), takes a lengthy circuitous loop on approach to the airport and may not suit your schedule. Alight at Union Street and catch a 13 or 15 from there to the hotel.

Arriving by car
The DoubleTree has a large surface car park; there is additional parking around the back at the Platinum annex.

Locality

Despite what the hotel's name tells us, it is not really in the city centre. It is, however perfectly positioned for the beach and the numerous entertainment activities spread along the Esplanade.
  • Beach Leisure Centre (public pool and gym)
  • Transition Extreme Sports (indoor climbing wall, skateboarding, and outdoor assault course)
  • Cineworld movie theatre with a variety of chain eateries (Jimmy Chungs, Frankie & Benny's, Pizza Hut, and Burger King)
  • Inversnecky Cafe - An Aberdonian institution, established in 1908. Next door is the Pavilion Cafe
  • Cadona's Pleasure Fair

At the southern tip of the Esplanade lies Footdee (locally known as Fittie), a charming village that dates back to the C14th. When the weather is fair, the stroll from the hotel along the Esplanade through Fittie towards the Marine Operation Tower at the mouth of the River Dee is delightful. While it was once possible to walk the full length of the north breakwater now only a small section is accessible to the public. If you enjoy seafood the Silver Darling restaurant is a must. Reservations are essential.

Shopping:
There is a basic retail park directly across the road from the hotel. You can pick up groceries, toiletries, beer/wine/spirits and other essentials at the Asda superstore.

Trending threads relating to local Hilton Family properties:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilto...etree-hgi.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilto...ntre-wiki.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilto...-treetops.html
Print Wikipost

Old Jul 14, 09, 2:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS, UA 2-Million Miler, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, HHonours Diamond, Marriott Plat, EVA Gold
Arrow DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Aberdeen City Centre {GBR}

I'm contemplating a stay at this hotel in Aberdeen, Scotland, as an alternative to my usual place, the Treetops Hilton. Has anyone stayed here recently? I believe this became a Hilton property not that long ago. It's located about a half-mile from City Centre on Beach Road -- it may have previously been known as the Beach Hotel. I'd be interested in hearing any impressions or experiences FTers may have of this place, especially how it might compare to the Treetops (which I know is getting a bit long in the tooth). Thanks!

Last edited by Sierra Kilo; Jul 14, 09 at 2:50 pm
Old May 27, 13, 6:31 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Carbon Conscious Travel

DoubleTree by Hilton Aberdeen City Centre Trip Reports and Reviews

This review is a sampling of two very recent stays both booked at very late notice. HHonors Gold, booked Premier King on the first stay followed by a Classic Double booking on a follow up stay. Like most hotels in Aberdeen, weekday demand far outstrips supply and the rates certainly reflect that. Luckily the rates for Fridays to Sundays are more reasonable.

On both stays I was allocated a King room in the Platinum wing. The routine is you roll up the DoubleTree check-in and are invited over to the annex to check-in there.

On my first visit room 609 on the second floor, on the follow up visit I was given room 404 on the ground floor. Both were spotlessly clean and well presented.

Each room has tea and coffee facilities, a refrigerator stocked with 330ml Pepsi, 330ml Diet Pepsi, two small cans of Britvic Orange, two small bottles of Strathmore spring water and a small selection of locally hand made chocolates. There was sufficient space left over to store my own purchases. The fridge had no sensors so it is possible to move the contents without triggering a purchase.

Gold amenity was a voucher was complimentary breakfast and a complimentary drink at the bar. Wifi was also included. Complimentary use of the pool and fitness suite was also offered but this may be available to all guests and not a Gold perk per se.

Breakfast was satisfactory, if perfunctory - it is a buffet style offering with scrambled eggs, the usual bacon, sausages, tomatoes, mushrooms, hash browns, and baked beans. There was a chef on hand to prepare eggs to order. Cereals, yoghurts and a variety of breads including Aberdeen "Butteries" were also available. The coffee was agreeable.

While the Platinum wing is a comfortable spot, beware of adjoining rooms. The dividing door is woefully light and conversation from the adjoining room was clearly audible, as was the sound of running water from the bathroom next door. You'll see from the images of room 404 below the curtains are tightly drawn. This was necessary since there is no buffer space whatsoever between the hotel's facade and the public links. East facing rooms on the first and second floors afford lovely views towards the beach and North Sea beyond.

Photographs:

Bathroom: the shower had reasonable water pressure but as you stand in the bath to shown, the rounded profile of the tub made this quite an awkward activity.

C&E Citron toiletries

Room 404

Room 404

Room 404: king bed

Room 404

Room 404: Adjoining door

Complimentary mini-bar (there was also one can of Diet Pepsi)

View from room 609

An evening stroll on the North Breakwater, at close quarters with a ship quietly steaming into port

Last edited by Prospero; May 27, 13 at 6:45 am
Old May 27, 13, 9:55 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
^ Great report; thanks, Prospero, for it!
Old Oct 12, 13, 12:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat & 1MM, DL Plat, Marriott LT Gold, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Explorist & IHG Ambassador
Deleted - trip ppd. But Sounds like this property is much better choice than Treetops.

Last edited by Boraxo; Oct 13, 13 at 2:33 pm
Old Feb 6, 15, 3:18 pm

Programs: HH - Gold BA - Blue
Looks like the pool will be no more shortly;

'The hotel's leisure club and spa will close permanently after Saturday, 28 February 2015. A fitness room will be available instead for hotel residents.'
Old Jun 21, 15, 4:26 pm

Im here at the moment.

Upgraded to a Platinum room, and as it happens it's the other side of the adjoining room featured in Prospero's post from 2013.

Not a lot has changed from the pictures already posted. This room looks slightly bigger and is on the corner of the building and there are three large windows so plenty of daylight, the desk also faces out one of the windows.

Soft drinks etc still in the fridge and the Internet works well, although as Prospero says you can hear the plumbing from the adjoining room.

£62DBB in the current sale is excellent value and dinner allows a near free run of the menu - only supplements are for the steak.
Old Aug 9, 15, 11:09 am

Programs: HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Priority Club Plat, Accor Gold, Flying Blue, Exec Club.
Continental breakfast for Diamonds? Of course that's in T&C, but perhaps unusual for UK. £10 upsell to full.

Also, are drinks vouchers still offered?
Old Aug 9, 15, 11:28 am

Programs: HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Skimanant View Post
Continental breakfast for Diamonds? Of course that's in T&C, but perhaps unusual for UK. £10 upsell to full.

Change to the Garden Inn Aberdeen, this is fine!
Old Aug 9, 15, 2:28 pm

That's poor.
We were there a few months ago, and got the normal full breakfast as gold in the platinum wing.

They also recent did away with the pool. The accountants must have been in.

Have to say, I find the whole Platinum wing thing bizarre, particularly the lounge area they serve breakfast in.
Let's build a brand new building at the side, with no kitchen (so everything is carried over by hand in trays for breakfast), create double the amount of waste, staff cost etc. with breakfast also, stick a bar in it which is never open (and I mean never, I checked with a member of staff), use up a member of staffs time to sit at the second reception desk. Stick 2 or 3 soft drinks in the in room fridge so you can call the rooms "Platinum rooms” and charge a premium for them.

It maybe started off more like an Executive Lounge concept? It looks like it might have. But whatever has happened in the mean time has resulted in this odd, normally empty, awkwardly quiet lounge space with an empty ex-bar to the side which is only ever used at breakfast.
Old Aug 9, 15, 2:58 pm

Programs: HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Priority Club Plat, Accor Gold, Flying Blue, Exec Club.
Don't get me wrong, I really like the room/ view (upgraded from Platinum room to junior suite), and it is interesting to watch the boats etc.
The pool is closed as far as I know, drinks vouchers I am told stopped in November, the upgrade package for golds and diamonds is the same I am told, subject to availability. There are still drinks in the fridge (2 bottles water, 3 cans coke or similar, chocolate bar).
I sort of got the impression there was a lounge in the platinum wing which there isn't, probably my mistake as the website doesn't really mention it.
Probably the only UK hotel which has only offered continental this year, but I know this is perfectly within the rules. Will be on the road early, so not the end of the world! Have to say the Continental selection was good, and I did enjoy my stay.

Last edited by Skimanant; Aug 11, 15 at 11:12 am
Old Aug 12, 15, 3:38 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond VIP, IHG Spire Am Elite, Best Western Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold, Radisson Rewards Gold
Stayed here last night for the first time, booked a double and was progressively upgraded pre arrival through premier to Platinum.

Was directed by reception to go and check in at the platinum building which after spending 5 minutes unloading from car was not good.
Room was a kind of corner room looking out over car park and towards main building.

Was informed that as a diamond I got a free "continental" breakfast, when I heard the word continental I knew what was coming next. Apparently access to a cooked breakfast would cost me £10 if paid in advance. This really hacks me off, I have only had it at one other Hilton property in the UK.
I also would be interested in knowing how much a continental breakfast costs if the upgrade to a full Scottish is £10 and full price is £14.95

I had a meal in the main building which was reasonable but not outstanding.

In room minibar had the 3 cans of fizzy drink, chocolate bar and 2 x water.

Nice big room and decent bathroom although starting to look a bit tired.

Decided to take breakfast in the Platinum building and was asked whether I wanted tea or coffee. Asked for a double espresso and was told it would be extra and would need fetching from the main building!
So despite paying the £10 "Bacon Tax" I still didn't get a decent cup of coffee.
Why not just put in a bean to cup machine like in the Dunblane Hydro etc...

Overall mediocre and if in the area again would probably try the Treetops, where I imagine I could get a full Scottish and a decent coffee without being stiffed.

Incidentally the Hotel has recently been taken over by Ability Group who own the Liverpool Hilton and Dunblane Doubletree.
Old Aug 12, 15, 3:45 pm

I can't understand the logic of a second dining room/lounge to be honest or the reception.

They really should direct guests having the cooked breakfast over to the main restaurant and have a continental offering the platinum building.

The coffee I completely agree with you its bonkers and that's before we get to fact the stuff they serve is awful.

ive only stayed here about half a dozen times and have always booked the half board option (and changed my way) due to the location as the chain places across the way are always full of kids. The half board option for dinner is generous as you can have anything you want, no doubt that will also change if they are penny pinching.
Old Aug 12, 15, 3:53 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond VIP, IHG Spire Am Elite, Best Western Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold, Radisson Rewards Gold
Originally Posted by chrism20 View Post
I can't understand the logic of a second dining room/lounge to be honest or the reception.

They really should direct guests having the cooked breakfast over to the main restaurant and have a continental offering the platinum building.

The coffee I completely agree with you its bonkers and that's before we get to fact the stuff they serve is awful.

ive only stayed here about half a dozen times and have always booked the half board option (and changed my way) due to the location as the chain places across the way are always full of kids. The half board option for dinner is generous as you can have anything you want, no doubt that will also change if they are penny pinching.
The coffee and Bacon Tax really grate on me, I refused there regular coffee and told her I'd get a decent one elsewhere when I got in the car.

Ironically the Dunblane Hydro used to do the same but have now installed 3 bean to cup machines, so it's no longer an issue.
Also no mention of a "bacon tax", Ability Group have owned the Hydro for a few years, let's hope they implement the same policies in Aberdeen!

Agree it would be better to just have continental in the platinum and full Scottish in the main building, the platinum building really seems to struggle with working out what it is trying to be.

Have you any recent experience at Treetops?
Old Aug 12, 15, 4:06 pm

I sort of got the impression there was a lounge in the platinum wing which there isn't, probably my mistake as the website doesn't really mention it.
I'm pretty sure the website did previously market a lounge (can't remember if it was called an exec lounge or not). The exclusive resident only bar (or something along those lines) was also sold as a selling point of The Platinum wing.

Now it is of course just the fairly pointless breakfast room.

It must not have worked out, or the accounts didn't like it.
Most likely the latter
Old Aug 12, 15, 4:10 pm

It's as if the intention has been to turn it into a full Hilton with the platinum wing being the Exec wing and the lounge actually being the Exec lounge and then decided not to bother and make it a DT instead.

There is certainly no logic to it that's for sure. They must also employ a second chef to man the platinum breakfast as when I asked for a poached egg the last time I was there a chef suddenly appeared from the booth behind the bar and poached an egg. It must seriously cost them a fortune in manpower alone.

Only been to treetops once this year and it was ok. They have had some work done to the building recently though as when I passed it back in June there was scaffolding up. Not sure if it was repairs to the structure or a touch up of the paint. I'd say the Treetops is the more consistent albeit a little more dated. The Garden Inn is also pretty good although the car park charges there with me are the equivalent of your bacon tax.

I haven't been to Dunblane for about two years, is it still a Nick Nairn restaurant? IIRC it was very good.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: