Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

theWit Chicago - a DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel {US-IL}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

theWit Chicago - a DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel {US-IL}

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2014, 3:12 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriot Gold, Hertz PC
Anyone have a stay at this property lately? I have a stay booked on points during a September weekend and wondering my chances of getting upgraded as a Diamond member.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 6:00 pm

Programs: Diamond with Delta, Hyatt and Hilton. 2 MM and Plat with America (thank you citi:))
Originally Posted by gold644
Anyone have a stay at this property lately? I have a stay booked on points during a September weekend and wondering my chances of getting upgraded as a Diamond member.
I stayed there in early June and was upgraded to a spa room on an MVP rate, which I was happy with since all the suites were actually booked. They are great about upgrading diamonds as long as they have the rooms available.

Something to keep in mind is that this is a busy time for Chicago hotels for conventions and tourists.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 11:46 am

Programs: LH lifetime Sen; HH lifetime diamond; flying blue silver
I have never been upgraded, even as a Diamond. That said, I still always stay here when I visit Chicago
Old Apr 12, 2015, 5:44 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond
I am thinking of trying out the Wit for the first time, primarily because the Paramount suite looks like something that I might appreciate. While the view looks good, how does it rate to a Astroria Suite at Waldorf because from a relative price perspective, its not that much of a difference.
Old Apr 13, 2015, 7:03 am

Originally Posted by Miesque
I am thinking of trying out the Wit for the first time, primarily because the Paramount suite looks like something that I might appreciate. While the view looks good, how does it rate to a Astroria Suite at Waldorf because from a relative price perspective, its not that much of a difference.
I have not been in any suites at theWit but have stayed in an Astoria Suite at the WA before. From the pictures of the product at theWit, it looks like that room might be as nice or nicer than the WA in-room product, if it's really as advertised. The WA product isn't really that exciting, just lots of white and dark and sharp edges. However I don't think theWit as a whole is anywhere near as nice as the WA (though the location of theWit is in my opinion much better than that of the WA).
Old Apr 13, 2015, 7:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Never stayed at the Paramount Suite but was upgraded one to a Spa Suite there and it was one of the best upgrades I've ever received at a Hilton. Full kitchen with stainless steel appliances and lots of space.

Something else to keep in mind is the location. If you won't have a car the Wit is in a much more convenient location IMO than the Waldorf.
Old Apr 13, 2015, 7:41 am
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Something to keep in mind is that you're still going to be comparing suites at a Doubletree/Hilton-level property with a WA, so there is going to be a difference in terms of quality of furnishings and general fit and finish to the room. The Wit is a nice property, but to me it certainly doesn't have the feel of a luxury hotel.
Old Apr 13, 2015, 8:55 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by dw
Something to keep in mind is that you're still going to be comparing suites at a Doubletree/Hilton-level property with a WA, so there is going to be a difference in terms of quality of furnishings and general fit and finish to the room. The Wit is a nice property, but to me it certainly doesn't have the feel of a luxury hotel.
That is a good point, but I am mainly focusing on the suite and the fact its something that appears to be one of the more unique rooms/suites in Chicago for a Hilton property and I was trying to figure out whether its worth $400 a night. The Waldorf is definitely worth it a $400+ tag for their suites and its my fave property in Chicago and I have two weekend stays there later this summer. The Wit looks really convenient from the Blue line in from O'Hare so I wouldn't have to get a car like I do when I am staying at The Drake or Waldorf. Memorial Day weekend I have a two nights stay with a DSU at the Hyatt Mag Mile and I am now thinking of coming in a day early so I thought it might be a good time to check out the Wit since it seems to be thought of highly by some astute minds on this forum.
Old Apr 13, 2015, 10:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
That is a good point, but I am mainly focusing on the suite and the fact its something that appears to be one of the more unique rooms/suites in Chicago for a Hilton property and I was trying to figure out whether its worth $400 a night. The Waldorf is definitely worth it a $400+ tag for their suites and its my fave property in Chicago and I have two weekend stays there later this summer. The Wit looks really convenient from the Blue line in from O'Hare so I wouldn't have to get a car like I do when I am staying at The Drake or Waldorf. Memorial Day weekend I have a two nights stay with a DSU at the Hyatt Mag Mile and I am now thinking of coming in a day early so I thought it might be a good time to check out the Wit since it seems to be thought of highly by some astute minds on this forum.
It's a very easy walk from both Airports on the L. From ORD clark and lake Blue stop is only a couple blocks away and from MDW the State/Lake Orange stop is literally in front of the hotel.

This is a really unique DT and is more like a boutique type hotel and very modern. A couple other things to keep in mind are that you will have breakfast (I heard the WA didn't extend the breakfast benefit) and if you want to use the rooftop bar they used to give priority to guests staying there.
Old Apr 13, 2015, 10:28 am

Honestly just give it a go and see. If nice suites are running about $400/night on Memorial Day weekend like you say, and you're OK with paying that kind of money in absolute terms, I doubt you'll be super disappointed and regretting it. The location is great, and like others have mentioned it's more of an art hotel instead of being very formal like the WA, so if that's more your style it should be good. I don't think you can really go wrong.
Old Apr 13, 2015, 11:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
It's only one night so if you want to try it out go ahead. The Wit is a good hotel but it isn't the WA and I don't think of them in the same terms and I'm not sure I would spring for the top of the line suite there. I've stayed in a spa suite at the Wit and have stayed in an Astoria suite at the WA, and I prefer the WA. The Wit no longer offers a full breakfast as a benefit.
Old Nov 11, 2015, 8:49 am

theWit compared to WA

Finally had a chance to stay at the Wit. I don't go to Chicago much & when I have in past I've stayed at the WA (which is often referred to as Hilton's best property in the USA). I can say that in my opinion the Wit was on par with the WA.

In all case at the WA & with my Wit stay I was upgraded to a suite so I can compare equal products.

The decor was different (wit more of a hip/modern look; WA more traditional/high end; both equally nice though your tastes may differ).

Without knowing specific sq ft, they both seemed equally spacious, though the WA offered a balcony & working fireplace while theWit had a kitchenette.

theWit gives you breakfast vouchers if you have status ($15 off the menu which basically covers any one meal order; or some set breakfast - I did the menu option); the WA has no breakfast perk.

theWit seemed 'busier' when checking in/out whereas the WA while not a small hotel never seemed busy (in a good way). Though of course as the dates were different it could have just been a dead weekend.

Location; this is subjective as for where you're going of course, but I found theWit better as it was more downtown plus right next to a CTA stop; the WA was a bit of a hike to one. In no way is the WA a bad location, just less convenient unless you have reason to be in the Gold Coast.

theWit has a rooftop deck that is a nice plus, though I found the crowd to not really be my style so nice to check out but didn't stay long (i will note that using the restroom at the bar there made me think it was made as the perfect stalls to do lots of coke in if you were into that sort of thing as they locked from floor to cieling with a glass shelf at head level, but I digress)

Staff was wonderful at the WA & adequate at theWit.

In summary, i understand why the WA is deemed high quality (though I wouldn't deem it anything overly special either & as its given such high marks in the US just goes to show how Hiltons lag here in comparison to their international products in my opinion), but when choosing I wouldn't hesitate to stay at theWit either & would in no way feel I was missing out on anything. With the points+cash option that pops up for theWit at times I think I would lean towards staying there if doing an awards stay as the premium the WA costs isn't really worth it in my opinion.

Last edited by ukyank; Nov 11, 2015 at 9:08 am
Old Nov 11, 2015, 9:35 am

Programs: HH Lifetime Diamond, DL PM, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by ukyank
Finally had a chance to stay at the Wit. I don't go to Chicago much & when I have in past I've stayed at the WA (which is often referred to as Hilton's best property in the USA). I can say that in my opinion the Wit was on par with the WA.
Do the birds still chirp in the hallways in the morning and the crickets in the evening? I agree that this is an awesome hotel. I never understood why Hilton just didn't use this concept and turn theWit into a brand to fill a gap in Hilton's line up for a more modern, unique lifestyle brand.
Old Nov 11, 2015, 10:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Michael19887
Do the birds still chirp in the hallways in the morning and the crickets in the evening? I agree that this is an awesome hotel. I never understood why Hilton just didn't use this concept and turn theWit into a brand to fill a gap in Hilton's line up for a more modern, unique lifestyle brand.
I agree. I would love to see more hotels like the Wit.

The Wit doesn't fit the definition of a typical Doubletree at all. They should rebrand it as a Curio.
Old Nov 11, 2015, 11:28 am

Originally Posted by Michael19887
Yes; funny enough when i arrived and first got off the elevator I thought there was actually a bird that got into the hotel.

What I'm really curious about is how the new Hilton 'LondonHouse' hotel that is being touted as an upscale boutique type hotel (and which is only about a block away from theWit) compares & what effect it's opening will have in theWit as they seem to be the same exact market if I read things correctly.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.