Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Hilton Liverpool City Centre {GBR}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton Liverpool City Centre {GBR}

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2019, 4:19 pm

Programs: hhonors diamond
Originally Posted by cjd
Had a recent stay on a Thursday night. As Diamond, my wife and I were upgraded to a nice end corner suite on floor 3. Large bedroom with comfortable King bed, small sitting room/lounge area and good sized bathroom with free standing bath and large walk in shower. As previously mentioned, Exec lounge has moved from top floor to ground level opposite reception area since our last visit. Lounge nearly full and one very friendly staff member managing the lounge during happy hour was kept busy. Choice of red, white wines and spirits and beers. No sparkling wine. Hot food was spring rolls and crispy mushrooms as well as plenty of cold nibbles. Pleasant complimentary breakfast in the restaurant. In the past, we have parked in the adjacent Liverpool One car park for approx £11. On this occasion, in a welcoming email, we were offered car parking in the small front hotel car park at a half price rate of £12.50 per night for Diamond members. Very convenient and we pre-booked car parking. This hotel is in a great location, especially for tourists and we also spent several hours visiting the Albert Dock before leaving.
Thanks for the report, spirits in the lounge?....that’s new!...they definitely didn’t have them in the old lounge up top, good though, I’ve not stayed for a while but I do particularly like this one.
Old May 11, 2019, 4:55 pm
cjd

Originally Posted by wizla
Thanks for the report, spirits in the lounge?....that’s new!...they definitely didn’t have them in the old lounge up top, good though, I’ve not stayed for a while but I do particularly like this one.
Definitely spirits as I had a couple! Must remember in future not to mix my drinks!!
Old May 12, 2019, 3:47 am

Originally Posted by cjd
Definitely spirits as I had a couple! Must remember in future not to mix my drinks!!
Haha, yes we have all fell foul of that one a few times......... what do you think of the new lounge
Compared to the old one up top, I’ve heard reports of like sitting in a fishbowl on trip advisor, I’ve also heard that the booze and canapés have improved including the service.
Old May 12, 2019, 5:26 am
cjd

Haha, yes we have all fell foul of that one a few times......... what do you think of the new lounge
Compared to the old one up top, I’ve heard reports of like sitting in a fishbowl on trip advisor, I’ve also heard that the booze and canapés have improved including the service.
Yes, not as good as the old top floor lounge with it's view and plenty of natural light. Top floor lounge was not that big, long and narrow, this one is more square, but a bit dark, having no outside windows. Probably about the same size. Couldn't fault the service from the one staff member. He never stopped and was certainly friendly. They also seemed to have a problem with the air conditioning and it was pretty warm in the lounge.
Forgot to mention an interesting feature which I haven't seen before in any Hiltons. In the welcoming email, it states that Diamond members have access to the Executive Lounge, "alternatively, if you wish to dine with us you can still enjoy your complimentary beer, wine & spirits between 6 and 8pm when served with a meal in our Exchange restaurant." Didn't eat in the restaurant, so didn't get to test out that deal, but a bit surprised by that one. Sounds good if it works. Free drinks with dinner! They also give 20% off food in the restaurant to Diamond members.

Last edited by cjd; May 12, 2019 at 5:33 am
Old May 12, 2019, 7:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by cjd
Yes, not as good as the old top floor lounge with it's view and plenty of natural light. Top floor lounge was not that big, long and narrow, this one is more square, but a bit dark, having no outside windows. Probably about the same size. Couldn't fault the service from the one staff member. He never stopped and was certainly friendly. They also seemed to have a problem with the air conditioning and it was pretty warm in the lounge.
Forgot to mention an interesting feature which I haven't seen before in any Hiltons. In the welcoming email, it states that Diamond members have access to the Executive Lounge, "alternatively, if you wish to dine with us you can still enjoy your complimentary beer, wine & spirits between 6 and 8pm when served with a meal in our Exchange restaurant." Didn't eat in the restaurant, so didn't get to test out that deal, but a bit surprised by that one. Sounds good if it works. Free drinks with dinner! They also give 20% off food in the restaurant to Diamond members.
I think the new lounge is smaller with fewer decent seating areas and is like being in a goldfish bowl by reception.

Spirits are available in the lounge but its not the most pleasant place to spend time. I really dislike this property to the point that I would choose the it after the Doubletree (first choice) and Hampton second choice.

The rooms feel tired and smell musty and do not feel terribly clean. They never upgrade beyond an Exec room despite having suites for sale (and have been actually told this by the front desk on more than one occasion). Breakfast is possibly the worst of any UK Hilton I have ever visited with a crowded and poorly laid out restaurant and a lacklustre selection. It is just fundamentally a bad property and is only redeemed by its very close proximity to Liverpool One and a great parking rate there.

In every respect other than the lack of lounge (and they do give you free drinks vouchers for the bar) the Doubletree is significantly better.
Old May 12, 2019, 7:35 am
cjd

Originally Posted by Land-of-Miles
The rooms feel tired and smell musty and do not feel terribly clean. They never upgrade beyond an Exec room despite having suites for sale (and have been actually told this by the front desk on more than one occasion).
As Diamond, my wife and I were upgraded to a nice end corner suite on floor 3. Large bedroom with comfortable King bed, small sitting room/lounge area and good sized bathroom with free standing bath and large walk in shower. Certainly couldn't complain about the cleanliness of the suite and no strange smells in the suite. Haven't stayed at the Doubletree Liverpool yet but may give it a try in the future.
Old May 12, 2019, 10:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cjd
As Diamond, my wife and I were upgraded to a nice end corner suite on floor 3. Large bedroom with comfortable King bed, small sitting room/lounge area and good sized bathroom with free standing bath and large walk in shower. Certainly couldn't complain about the cleanliness of the suite and no strange smells in the suite. Haven't stayed at the Doubletree Liverpool yet but may give it a try in the future.
i have never been upgraded beyond an Exec room in multiple stays and assume there is little difference between Exec and non Exec rooms. The front desk has categorically refused to upgrade me to 1 bed suites despite showing availability, unless I was prepared to pay substantially more to buy tne upgrade.

The Doubletree is not wearing well but is better than the Hilton in all functional respects. Especially at breakfast and with far more spacious rooms.

My overall preferences in the City though are probably Staybridge, followed by Crowne Plaza, followed by Indigo, followed by Doubletree, followed by Marriott, followed by Hampton, followed by Hilton with the Aloft in last place.
yurtripper likes this.
Old May 12, 2019, 1:15 pm

Originally Posted by cjd
Yes, not as good as the old top floor lounge with it's view and plenty of natural light. Top floor lounge was not that big, long and narrow, this one is more square, but a bit dark, having no outside windows. Probably about the same size. Couldn't ftault the service from the one staff member. He never stopped and was certainly friendly. They also seemed to have a problem with the air conditioning and it was pretty warm in the lounge.
That’s a good deal, fair play there although I do agree with land of miles comments about breakfast, it’s pretty dire and probably the worst in the uk , it’s also noisy with the clatter of plates, everything seems to echo, you wouldn’t want to be there with a hangover!.
I got upgraded to the suite thats the opposite end to the presidential suite a couple of years back, got to admit it was very nice!
Old May 12, 2019, 4:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That’s a good deal, fair play there although I do agree with land of miles comments about breakfast, it’s pretty dire and probably the worst in the uk , it’s also noisy with the clatter of plates, everything seems to echo, you wouldn’t want to be there with a hangover!.
I got upgraded to the suite thats the opposite end to the presidential suite a couple of years back, got to admit it was very nice!
I wouldn't count on that upgrade again, the official policy seems to be no upgrades to anything beyond a junior suite. Exec suites and above will never be given as upgrades it seems, that is the dictat. I rather hope the suites are in better shape than the rooms I have stayed in which have been without exception, tired and crap. Considering this property was built about the same time as the Manchester Deansgate, Tower Bridge and Canary Wharf, it is in really poor condition. That said Tower Bridge and Canary Wharf have clearly been through a refurb cycle whilst Liverpool and I think Manchester Deansgate hasn't.
wizla likes this.
Old Aug 11, 2019, 4:11 am

Programs: Emirates Skywards (Gold), Hilton (Diamond), Radisson (Gold)
Just had a three night stay here, and my experience had a lot of big positives and a lot of big negatives, to average out at a “meh” sort of stay.

Positives:
Valet - Diamonds get 50% off parking, so for three nights parking including valet parking and car collection was £38.75 + tips, which in my view is a bargain given the local parking prices.
Staff - All the staff I interacted with were very pro-active and flexible, very good customer service.
Room - Got upgraded to interconnecting execs, good size, no idea what anyone above is referring to about musty smells
A/C - A/C isn’t common in the UK, but I like it cold. A/C was really powerful.
Bed - Weirdly high up (like you almost need a stepladder to get into it) but very large and very comfortable.
Lounge - Location is a bit weird, but offering was great.

Negatives:
Exchange Restaurant - The best on offer in-property, but truly awful. I had to make a full complaint due to the list of problems with our meal. Way overpriced, and a terrible wine list.
Breakfast - Everything above is accurate
Wifi - It took over a minute just to load the login page. It was essentially unusable.
wizla likes this.
Old Mar 16, 2020, 4:14 am

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, BMI Gold (RIP)
Had a 1 night stay here over the weekend with my wife and 5 year old.

Booked a standard King room and requested a rollaway bed. Was pre-upgraded to one of the King Executive Suites with Park View with a rollaway set up in the living room on arrival.

Parked in the small car park at the front of the hotel, which was good value with the 50% off for Diamond member discount. Check in process was quick and efficient and staff were friendly and helpful. Was told about the evening service in the lounge as well as informed that we had full breakfast in the restaurant in the morning, with the lounge just offering hot drinks in the morning.

Room was in good condition structurally, but the sofa and a furnishings were definitely starting to look a bit tatty. Great views from the room across the park and also over to the waterfront. Room was a bedroom and a living room, separated by sliding doors. The bathroom was large with a separate bath and a shower. Older style room though, so it was missing plug sockets at the bedside tables and there were no USB ports anywhere in the room. They are doing renovations on the 7th floor, so hopefully a few things like this will be updated.

Breakfast was relatively quiet on arrival, but it did start to fill up towards the end of the morning. It was a decent breakfast buffet, with eggs to order and a selection of hot and cold items. No signs of them making any adjustments due to Coronavirus concerns with the food, but there were at least keeping people spaced out with their seating.

Had a few issues with the internet connecting with Apple devices due to them updating their routers, That will be a problem for a few more weeks I believe from speaking to one of the staff.

A good stay overall. A great location, friendly staff and definitely felt looked after as a Diamond member.
Old Mar 17, 2020, 12:37 am

Originally Posted by RAPC
Had a 1 night stay here over the weekend with my wife and 5 year old.

Booked a standard King room and requested a rollaway bed. Was pre-upgraded to one of the King Executive Suites with Park View with a rollaway set up in the living room on arrival.

Parked in the small car park at the front of the hotel, which was good value with the 50% off for Diamond member discount. Check in process was quick and efficient and staff were friendly and helpful. Was told about the evening service in the lounge as well as informed that we had full breakfast in the restaurant in the morning, with the lounge just offering hot drinks in the morning.

Room was in good condition structurally, but the sofa and a furnishings were definitely starting to look a bit tatty. Great views from the room across the park and also over to the waterfront. Room was a bedroom and a living room, separated by sliding doors. The bathroom was large with a separate bath and a shower. Older style room though, so it was missing plug sockets at the bedside tables and there were no USB ports anywhere in the room. They are doing renovations on the 7th floor, so hopefully a few things like this will be updated.

Breakfast was relatively quiet on arrival, but it did start to fill up towards the end of the morning. It was a decent breakfast buffet, with eggs to order and a selection of hot and cold items. No signs of them making any adjustments due to Coronavirus concerns with the food, but there were at least keeping people spaced out with their seating.

Had a few issues with the internet connecting with Apple devices due to them updating their routers, That will be a problem for a few more weeks I believe from speaking to one of the staff.

A good stay overall. A great location, friendly staff and definitely felt looked after as a Diamond member.
Hey, thanks for the report...... was the executive lounge any good?.......I’ve not seen it yet.
Old Mar 17, 2020, 5:20 am

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, BMI Gold (RIP)
Hey, thanks for the report...... was the executive lounge any good?.......I’ve not seen it yet.
We only popped in briefly after arrival when it was quiet., but it is a nice enough space on the ground floor next to the reception area. Quite a lot of tables, with seating for about 25 people. Coffee machine, soft drinks and a few snacks out when we were there. I did have a look in during the evening drinks and the lounge was full. Was a full drinks service on the good including, wines and spirits and a selection of food. Not sure what food there was from afar, but the lounge vultures were circling and filling plates and glasses like there was no tomorrow!
wizla likes this.
Old Mar 17, 2020, 8:43 am

Originally Posted by RAPC
We only popped in briefly after arrival when it was quiet., but it is a nice enough space on the ground floor next to the reception area. Quite a lot of tables, with seating for about 25 people. Coffee machine, soft drinks and a few snacks out when we were there. I did have a look in during the evening drinks and the lounge was full. Was a full drinks service on the good including, wines and spirits and a selection of food. Not sure what food there was from afar, but the lounge vultures were circling and filling plates and glasses like there was no tomorrow!
Rah, I hate to see that, folk can be so uncivilised......... I used to quite like the lounge when it was up on the executive floor, I’ve not stayed since.....cheers.
RAPC likes this.
Old Feb 2, 2022, 3:11 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA, BA, Accor, Honors Diamond, IHG Diamond Elite and lots more....
Originally Posted by Land-of-Miles

My overall preferences in the City though are probably Staybridge, followed by Crowne Plaza, followed by Indigo, followed by Doubletree, followed by Marriott, followed by Hampton, followed by Hilton with the Aloft in last place.
Wondering if that is still true....

Looking to take my wife to Liverpool for a couple of nights in May in a decent room - so would probably book a suite straight away.....

So not sure how the options stack up locally.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.