Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Hilton Honors And Putting In Your AAA 16 Digit #

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton Honors And Putting In Your AAA 16 Digit #

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2009, 9:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
Really, a minor annoyance. Since this has now been the case for a few years, I've ended up learning my AAA number.

Also, you can always put the number in a text file (using NotePad or whatever) and just cut and paste it from there if it's too difficult to remember the number.

I wouldn't avoid Hilton HHonors just because of this -- I've found that ALL the (several) hotel chains I've used have glitches or annoyances on their websites.

In fact, within the last hour I was trying to book a stay on the Priority Club (Holiday Inn, etc.) website and ran into major problems -- their website usually works well but at the moment it seems to be a sick puppy!

So if you're the type that throws hissy fits and refuses to use a hotel chain because of something this minor, sooner or later you'll run out of hotel chains that you can patronize.
Old Jun 20, 2009, 4:00 am

I agree too that it's annoying and they should be able to save it in my profile. Maybe their reasoning behind this is so you have to go through a little more effort to get a discounted room rate instead of rack rate.

I have my number as a favorite bookmark and copy it from there since I have IE open anway.

I find it much more annoying after signing in and moving to different options like Honors activity or back to reservations, I have to sign in again.

On another note about AAA rates, that we encountered the other week was cancellation period. Not to hijack the thread, but we booked a AAA rate for Cashiers, NC Hampton Inn and was given a 72 hour cancellation period.

If you don't select AAA rate and just go with rack rate, it's 24 hours. My bride looked this up on AAA's website, and apparently it's part of the terms for the discount. First time I have seen this, but something to remember if the travel plans might be carved in stone.
Old Jun 20, 2009, 5:09 am

Programs: SPG Plat,MR Plat Spire Plat/IC Amb, Choice Plat, BW Plat
A small thing but yes an annoyance....IHG keeps specific rate accounts in your profile for convenience....comes in handy when you're flipping around different locations checking rates and such when planning trips.
Old Jun 20, 2009, 6:49 am

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
A VERY minor annoyance IMO. It does help ensure that only those who are eligible for AAA rates get them. Marriott and most others just let you check an AAA box, and you seldom get asked to present your card at check-in. The hotel discounts are a big reason I am a AAA member and I don't mind the extra step.

That said, I do agree it would be nice if hilton.com could just save the number like it does my CC and fill it in automatically if I'm logged in. Until then, use Firefox or Chrome as your browser. After the first time you enter your AAA number it will pop it up for you after you type the first digit.
Old Jun 20, 2009, 10:07 am
Moderator: Mileage Run, United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 3MM; Hyatt Glob*****; Hilton Diamond
You can use the Team USA Advantage site and on the Dates and Preferences page they use the old check the box for AAA. They also have a box to fill in the number, but I never do and I stlil see the AAA rates. Sometimes the Team USA Advantage rates are better than AAA, but right now the Visa 25% of seems to be the best.
Old Jun 20, 2009, 2:51 pm

Programs: AS 100K, UA MM, AA MM, IC Plat Amb, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by Stripe
Until then, use Firefox or Chrome as your browser. After the first time you enter your AAA number it will pop it up for you after you type the first digit.
This only works for me during the same browser session. The next time I open my browser, I have to enter the 16-digit AAA number all over again.

This might not be a major problem, but it's such an easy thing for Hilton to fix, there's really no excuse.
Old Jun 20, 2009, 3:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
For me, the amount of money I save (which at some properties is 15%) makes up for the amount of seconds it takes to enter it on the web page. Which also seems to be less time than it does to find it in my wallet, hand it over to the desk clerk, wait for him to give it back, then put it back in my wallet. But that's just how I am.
Old Jun 20, 2009, 5:06 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Using Firefox with a Google toolbar, the membership number is easily entered each and every time - ditto for the multiple times one is asked for HH number when booking different Hilton family properties.

I sometimes do find other rates to be slightly better than auto association, sometimes not.
Old Jun 20, 2009, 5:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
You don't need a toolbar of any kind. Firefox will remember this stuff automatically. Check your options under Tools->Options->Privacy.
Old Jun 20, 2009, 7:41 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
You don't stay at Hilton because you refuse to memorize your number?

Yes it's an annoyance, but it's a very minor one, and certainly not worth being the only reason to choose another chain.
Old Jun 20, 2009, 8:34 pm

Programs: US Airways Chairmans Starwood Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Platinum/,Lifetime Silver Hertz Presidents
Originally Posted by cordelli
You don't stay at Hilton because you refuse to memorize your number?

Yes it's an annoyance, but it's a very minor one, and certainly not worth being the only reason to choose another chain.
There are many times when I do not have my wallet in front of me when I am making a reservation which my AAA card resides. It is easier to book with Marriott, SPG, or Comfort Inn for that matter. I am more than willing to show my card at check in. I would much rather pull my card out at check in than walk up 3 flight of stairs to get my wallet enter the number. If your competition makes it easier to book your reservation I would think Hilton would look at this. That being said this is my opinion, I choose to avoid them because of this, you may not and that is fine.
Old Jun 21, 2009, 6:10 am

Programs: DL, UA, AA, B6, BA (airline status-free leisure traveler), Hilton Diamond
I am a AAA member, so I am glad that Hilton makes some type of accountability such that only legitimate AAA members can get the discount. That being said, I agree that it would be nice if our AAA number could be stored in our HH profile so that we would not have to input it every time.
Old Jun 21, 2009, 9:39 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
You could put it in a notepad file on your computer, and never need to go to your wallet.

You could google AAA card and use the number off the images that come up, the one from the Amtrak site for example of a sample card is a valid number.

It's pretty funny, at least to me, that you choose not to use them when there are way easier ways to do it.

Some of the hilton chains also require you to enter your AARP number if going for that discount too.

I agree it's a good thing, or else everybody would just check that box, which means the discount is pretty much worthless.
Old Jun 21, 2009, 10:58 am

Programs: AS 100K, UA MM, AA MM, IC Plat Amb, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist
You could put it in a notepad file on your computer, and never need to go to your wallet.

You could google AAA card and use the number off the images that come up, the one from the Amtrak site for example of a sample card is a valid number.

It's pretty funny, at least to me, that you choose not to use them when there are way easier ways to do it.

Some of the hilton chains also require you to enter your AARP number if going for that discount too.

I agree it's a good thing, or else everybody would just check that box, which means the discount is pretty much worthless.
You can't have it both ways. If it is so easy to google an AAA number, then how is this any protection against fraudulent use of the AAA discount? The goal is a simple & easy rate search. Whether an individual is entitled to use a specific rate (whether AAA/AARP/corporate) is a matter for Hilton to confirm on arrival.

Yes, the workarounds are simple, but they shouldn't be necessary. Nearly every other hotel Web site just provides a box to check, so I'm not sure why Hilton feels the need to do it differently.
Old Jun 21, 2009, 11:05 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles, MR, HH, ICH/PC, Avis Pref., Hertz Gold
If you make your HH reservation by phone, you do not have to give an AAA number if you want to use the AAA discount.

The Marriott website does not require an AAA number when you book online but on a couple of occasions (but not all) I have been asked for my card at checkin. That kept "everybody" from being able to use the discount.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.