FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hilton | Hilton Honors (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilton-hilton-honors-417/)
-   -   Hilton Bandung {IDN} (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilton-hilton-honors/952801-hilton-bandung-idn.html)

camsean May 11, 2009 7:56 am

Hilton Bandung {IDN}

I was very surprised to see a Hilton has opened in the city Bandung in West Java Indonesia. For anyone planning to visit Jakarta, Bandung is a great getaway.

The location of the hotel isn't great, although it is convenient for the train station. I haven't been inside yet, but the exterior of the hotel looks very smart.

I'll post with more information after I investigate the hotel more fully.

mario33 May 11, 2009 11:01 am

I have an existing reservation at this hotel.

Since you mentioned it close to the railway station, is the train (from Jakarta) a "safe and comfortable" option to get to Bandung ? Was told by an Indonesian friend that the public buses are a big NO, NO.

demue May 11, 2009 1:13 pm

Originally Posted by mario33 (Post 11730127)
I have an existing reservation at this hotel.

Since you mentioned it close to the railway station, is the train (from Jakarta) a "safe and comfortable" option to get to Bandung ? Was told by an Indonesian friend that the public buses are a big NO, NO.

Never seen the Hilton but then I was there a few months ago. Stayed at the HI and that one is okay. Nothing spectacular but okay. We also took the train from Jakarta and it was quite alright. Definitely reasonably safe. Book the best cabin class and it will be okay.

BTW, I checked some random dates at the Hilton and the prices are ridiculous for Bandung. Avg rates of 130USD for a flex rate excl breakfast is plain insane. You can stay at the HI for 50-70 USD. I mean the sketches of teh Hilton look fancier and the rooms appear bigger and more modern but this is expensive for the place.

mario33 May 28, 2009 8:22 am

Very Impressive

A stunning property !

The lobby is a work of art; with a 4 strorey high marble clad inclined wall and twisting columns, skylight and water features. Not the biggest hotel lobby I have seen but definitely one of the most impressive. I wouldnt be surprised if an architectural award is eventually accorded to this lobby.

As HHonors Gold I was upgraded to the Executive Floor. Lounge has 2 sections; a small "lounging" section where the check-in desk is located and a larger dining section with proper dining tables. Evening cocktail is decent with 3 hot items while for breakfast they have an egg station apart from the basic western and asian spread. There are 3 pc for internet access and the comp wifi requires a code. Service is very attentive.

The room reminds me very much of the Conrad Bali with quality marble flooring throughout, and yes both properties share common ownership. Infact its an improvement over the Conrad Bali (except for the bed). Full height & width window ensures plenty of natural lighting, while the wall between the bedroom and bathroom is full glass with remote control blind. There is a small sitting area comprising a 2 seater sofa, a single seater leather chair and an odd shaped glass top coffee table. TV is 37inch lcd while bedside clock is a sleek white version unlike the usual bulky black version found in most Hilton hotels. Bathroom is comparable to Conrad Bangkok with full marble cladding, modern fittings, separate cubicles for shower and wc, and a stand alone bathtub next to the glass wall (apparently only exec rooms come with bathtub). Overall a very impressive room, one of the best (if not the best) I have seen in a Hilton branded hotel anywhere.

As mentioned by another poster this hotel is located near the train station, while the airport is a 10 min taxi ride away (you can see the hotel from the end of the runway). Nothing much in the immediate vicinity which comprises of lower end and mid scale hotels, restaurants and residential dwellings. There is a decent mall "Istana Plaza" 5-10min walk down the road. Since most of the guests in this hotel are locals arriving in their own vehicles, there is no taxi rank in the hotel but they will call a Blue Bird taxi for you when you need one. Taxi fares are relatively inexpensive in Bandung, so the location of the hotel is not much of an issue.

The Hilton is definitely the place to stay in Bandung right now, its very obvious the hotel was built to impress. A very pleasant surprise for a city which hardly see any foreign visitor (apart from the shoppers from KL and the odd "bule" from Jakarta).

my44 Oct 4, 2009 11:42 pm

I've returned from one-night stay at Hilton Bandung.

The surrounding area was unimpressive but upon entering the hotel proper, it was like miles apart! I don't think I need to elaborate further as most have been mentioned by mario33.

The pool is fantastic too at the 6th floor with great view of the volcanic peaks which surrounding the city. Also unique "bale begong" in the form of bird nest (or was it hornet nest) at the pool perimeter.

The room? Wow is an understatement, LOL.

camsean Apr 13, 2010 2:19 am

I've now had two stays in this hotel and have been impressed both times.

The first stay, back in January was in a deluxe room. These are very nicely furnished, have a huge LCD TV, and are lacking only a bath.

My second stay was in an executive room and this are identical, but have a very nice bathtub, as well.

The executive lounge is OK. The evening cocktail spread was pretty good and the drinks selection included spirits. I may just be being paranoid, but the white wine tasted as if it had been watered down. The breakfast was pretty poor however. I strongly advise going to the main restaurant instead, especially as the buffet here is probably the best in Bandung.

Mario33, the trains are fine to catch. I'd go executive class though because business isn't air-con and it gets hot.

Inmo, the Hilton Bandung is by the best hotel in town.

Here is a link to my review and pictures on TA:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserR...ECK_RATES_CONT

mario33 Apr 13, 2010 3:51 am

Originally Posted by camsean (Post 13759661)
Mario33, the trains are fine to catch. I'd go executive class though because business isn't air-con and it gets hot.

Thanks "pak", I have actually used the "Argo Gede" twice since my last post.

First time was perfect; coach was very clean, train was right on schedule and they even have a security guard in the coach itself. Second time, the train was delayed by 1.5hrs (due to repair works on tracks damaged by floods) and the coach was very worn though one cannot expect too much with the USD6 fare. I wont hesitate to use the trains again but I have to admit the VIP shuttle run by Cipanganti is more comfortable.

mario33 Apr 13, 2010 3:55 am

Originally Posted by camsean (Post 13759661)
I may just be being paranoid, but the white wine tasted as if it had been watered down.

And I thought the E&C shower gel smells different from those at other Hilton hotels.

Koby Apr 13, 2010 4:50 am

Originally Posted by mario33 (Post 13759855)
And I thought the E&C shower gel smells different from those at other Hilton hotels.

I noticed exactly the same thing.
Both the shampoo and shower gel are different than in other Hiltons, and the tube itself is also slightly different.
I was wondering if this is maybe some religious thing, because of certain ingredients that cannot be used? (But in the Hilton in KL for instance you get exactly the same products as in most other Hiltons worldwide...)

Keyser Apr 13, 2010 6:38 am

great reviews guys....i have a 4 day stay coming up at this property in june....

mario33 Apr 13, 2010 7:57 am

Originally Posted by Koby (Post 13759972)
I was wondering if this is maybe some religious thing, because of certain ingredients that cannot be used? (But in the Hilton in KL for instance you get exactly the same products as in most other Hiltons worldwide...)

Contrary to popular belief, Indonesia is not an "islamic" country though 90% of the population are muslims. Generally its far more liberal than Malaysia, and some hotels in Jakarta even include bacon as part of their buffet breakfast spread. So no, I dont believe the bathroom amenities smell different due to religious constraints.

camsean Apr 14, 2010 2:51 am

Originally Posted by mario33 (Post 13759845)
Thanks "pak", I have actually used the "Argo Gede" twice since my last post.

First time was perfect; coach was very clean, train was right on schedule and they even have a security guard in the coach itself. Second time, the train was delayed by 1.5hrs (due to repair works on tracks damaged by floods) and the coach was very worn though one cannot expect too much with the USD6 fare. I wont hesitate to use the trains again but I have to admit the VIP shuttle run by Cipanganti is more comfortable.

Yeah I really like the trains as well. I take them about once a month. At the moment though, a section of track has been washed out so there is only 1 track open, this means delays are pretty common.

I've never tried the shuttle services. I'm scared of getting stuck in traffic at either end. Also, my apartment is near Gambir, so the train is convenient.

But, yeah, most people seem to prefer the shuttles these days.

camsean Apr 14, 2010 2:58 am

Originally Posted by Koby (Post 13759972)
I noticed exactly the same thing.
Both the shampoo and shower gel are different than in other Hiltons, and the tube itself is also slightly different.

As Mario33 says, this is a very unlikely explanation.

I think a more likely one could be about cost. For example, Diet Coke in Indonesia does not contain nutrasweet (as it does in most countries), but rather a cheaper artificial sweetener.

Maybe that is the reason behind the difference.

opushomes Jun 13, 2010 7:38 am

One of the best in Asia

Presently in the executive lounge. Mario33 has it absolutely correct. Staff is one of the best in Asia Hiltons, on a par with the Conrad Singapore. They aim to please.

Haven't had breakfast so no comment at this point.

Everyone in the hotel knows my name including the young lady who seems to be the front entry car loader. How they manage that is really impressive, although, as in much of Asia, I am simply Mister Michael. Yes, in Bandung, I am fairly memorable as perhaps the only bearded Caucasian. Bandung does not seem to be a place where non-Asian foreigners frequent.

Taxis: Blue Bird, Blue Bird, did I mention Blue Bird although I got a guy today without meter who was honest and personable. He negotiated 5k extra back to the Hilton in a nice way. I negotiated him down to the Blue Bird minimum rate for a telephone booking. which was about 5k more than the actual meter rate discounting the minimum.

mario33 Jun 13, 2010 11:22 am

Originally Posted by opushomes (Post 14124208)
Staff is one of the best in Asia Hiltons, on a par with the Conrad Singapore. They aim to please.

I agree they try very hard to please, but from my latest stay some of the newer staff are not that well trained. The evening cocktail however has been improved, with 6 hot items now.

For breakfast, go to the restaurant downstairs. A very good selection of dishes, especially local and asian choices, some of which are quite exotic. And ice-cream too, yes for breakfast ....

The shampoo & shower gell smell "normal" now.