Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in French Polynesia (Tahiti) {PYF}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in French Polynesia (Tahiti) {PYF}

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2009, 1:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA, AA, AS, DL, BA, HA, WN, SPG-PL, Hyatt-Dia, HH-Dia, Marr-Pl, US Mint/VR(retired)
Arrow DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in French Polynesia (Tahiti) {PYF}

Does anyone have any Diamond/Gold upgrade experiences at the Bora-Bora and Moorea Hiltons?

I read in a different thread that the Nui charges for OWB upgrades. Does anyone know if they give Diamond upgrades on award stays?

I've stayed at the Moorea Hilton when it was a Starwood and I would like to book a Hilton award stay but I want to make sure that I will have an OWB.

Also, what are are the Diamond/Gold breakfasts at these properties?

I am a Gold and will be a Diamond by the time I will stay there.

Any recent info would be appreciated.
Old Apr 29, 2009, 1:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
To quote another FT member...Search is your friend!!

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilto...esort-spa.html

Comments from members that have stayed their since their change over from *W can be found in the individual threads. If I remember correctly from when I read the threads in the past there are comments about upgrades, etc. I wouldn't count on an upgrade to the OWB....there was a post where a Gold member got one but nothing is "guaranteed"! (then again you couldn't count on it with *W either!)

Last edited by christianj; Apr 29, 2009 at 2:03 pm
Old Apr 29, 2009, 3:30 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
A complimentary upgrade is always dependent "on availability." No property (or sane businessperson) will give a free upgrade to an overwater bungalow to an elite over selling it for money (even if it is for a supplement.) At least one can book low or shoulder season, communicate with the GM and hope... Guarantee? I don't think so.

Want to assure you receive an overwater bungalow? Book it and pay for it...
Old Apr 29, 2009, 4:58 pm

Upgrades are within the reserved villa category

Originally Posted by PatMike
Does anyone have any Diamond/Gold upgrade experiences at the Bora-Bora and Moorea Hiltons?

I read in a different thread that the Nui charges for OWB upgrades. Does anyone know if they give Diamond upgrades on award stays?

I've stayed at the Moorea Hilton when it was a Starwood and I would like to book a Hilton award stay but I want to make sure that I will have an OWB.

Also, what are are the Diamond/Gold breakfasts at these properties?

I am a Gold and will be a Diamond by the time I will stay there.

Any recent info would be appreciated.
I have recently (March 2009) completed award stays at all three of the Tahiti Hiltons and most probably because of the very recent take-over by Hilton, the benefits were very similar.

The two written statements that I received (Moorea and Bora Bora) set out the "advantages and benefits you will enjoy as a Hilton Honors member during your stay"

* Early check-in without additional fee (upon availability)

* Late check-out without additional fee (upon availability)

* Welcome amenity on arrival day (in accordance with HHonors atatus)

* Upgrade to superior villa (better view or location within the reserved villa category)

* Choice of My Way VIP options (subject to HHonors status)

As a diamond, my welcome amenity at all three Hiltons was a large bottle of champagne.

If you select upgrade and breakfast as your "My Way" benefit" you will receive a full buffet breakfast.

Unless you are willing to pay (or bribe) you should not expect an upgrade to an over water villa at Bora Bora or Moorea. I was given a complimentary upgrade to a full two room suite at the Hilton Tahiti.

IMO Bora Bora is a much superior property to Moorea.
Old May 18, 2009, 9:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Question Hilton Moorea or Bora Bora or both?

I've been planning an eight-night award stay for my wife and myself at the Hilton Moorea for September, but am now wondering whether we should split it with the Hilton Bora Bora Nui or even just spend all the time at Nui. I've seen some good discussion about the relative merits of the two, but still would like to post a few questions about the choice and the logistics involved:

1. Upgrading to an OWB at the Moorea seems to run about $200/night. Does anyone know what they're charging at the Nui?
2. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it sounds like the Moorea's advantages over the Nui are better snorkling; somewhat less expensive meals, transfer charges (though still quite pricey in an absolute sense), etc.; and more to see on the island. The Nui's are that the rooms and property are even nicer, service more reliable and Bora Bora even more beautiful. Does that sound right?
3. I've seen various estimates for what the Air Tahiti (?) package would cost to get us from Tahiti to Moorea to Bora Bora and then back to Tahiti, but am unclear on some of the details. Any recent experience with this? And would we save if we simply took the ferry to Moorea instead of flying? Finally, would we fly straight from Moorea to Bora Bora, or do we go back through Tahiti?
4. I assume that, all things being equal, it would make sense to go from Moorea to Bora Bora since the latter is the nicer property. But I'd be a bit worried about making the connection on the same day from Bora Bora to Tahiti and then back to the United States, even through the flight to LAX leaves late at night, since if there's a problem with the plane from Bora Bora to Papeete we'd be stuck, miss the flight to LAX and have problems re-booking. Any thoughts on this?
5. On our beach vacations we're accustomed to a bit of sight-seeing and a lot of relaxing, so eight days in one place sounds fine to us. But I'd welcome any thoughts on splitting between the two or even on just going for Bora Bora over Moorea.

Thanks for advice on any of these matters.
Old May 18, 2009, 3:19 pm

Programs: SWA A+ Pref/CP, DL 1M, HH Diamond, National Car Exec.
Hello... I have only got a few minutes before next flight so I will answer best I can in time limit on my experiences.

1) OWB at Moorea Hilton can be negotiated (slightly) ahead of time. In my e-mail exchange with them, I asked to "negotiate" and they gave me a free night on my award upgrade for August 23 - 30th. Came to just over $1K US for week including taxes etc. Also negotiated an early check-in since we arrive on Air France at 3:30 AM and will take the first boat over to Moorea.

2) found out that you can book the Hilton Van 72 hours in advance instead of taking taxi. Saves about $40 US.

3) We are taking boat to Moorea and then you don't have any choice but Air Tahiti (Not Tahiti Nui). I think it cost me almost $1K for two of us from Moorea to Bora Bora and then back to PPT for our departure back to LAX.

4) We are coming back to PPT 1 day ahead of our departure back to US and staying at Hilton Tahiti. (ran out of miles and had to pay approx $240/nite)

5) Look up "Bora Bora Rental properties" in google search. You will find a OWB for Thousands less than staying overwater in a hotel. The place is dubbed the "black pearl" and is on north side of Bora Bora. You can also get a renatl car for half price from the guy on site that hosts the place!

Good luck ... hope this info helps!

GradyWhite (AKA "Island Hunter")

(Merritt Island, Fl)
Old May 18, 2009, 3:42 pm

Programs: UA MMGold, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Thunderroad
3. I've seen various estimates for what the Air Tahiti (?) package would cost to get us from Tahiti to Moorea to Bora Bora and then back to Tahiti, but am unclear on some of the details. Any recent experience with this? And would we save if we simply took the ferry to Moorea instead of flying? Finally, would we fly straight from Moorea to Bora Bora, or do we go back through Tahiti?
To go to moorea island, you can take either ferry or Air Tahiti/Air Moorea filght. To add Bora Bora into your itinerary, then you will need to fly as my understanding is there is no ferry to Bora Bora (my tour guide at Bora Bora told me only cargo goes there and seems an overnight journey in a not very comfortable environment from what he described).

Air Tahiti has island airpasses for flights to multiple islands as a package:

http://www.airtahiti.aero/articles.php?id=69

You can buy it directly from Air Tahiti (by email or phone them) or from Expedia. I actually got it from a TA as one itinerary with the interational flights.

Air Tahiti has direct flights between PPT-MOZ, MOZ-BOR, BOR-PPT. Some directions have more frequent flights than the others, and more/less flights on certain day of the week. You can check the flight schedule between islands at their website as well.

Last edited by wendySFO; May 18, 2009 at 3:48 pm
Old May 18, 2009, 5:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Originally Posted by GradyWhite

1) OWB at Moorea Hilton can be negotiated (slightly) ahead of time. In my e-mail exchange with them, I asked to "negotiate" and they gave me a free night on my award upgrade for August 23 - 30th. Came to just over $1K US for week including taxes etc. Also negotiated an early check-in since we arrive on Air France at 3:30 AM and will take the first boat over to Moorea.
Thank you both for the quick and useful info. Grady, I'm not sure I understood the part I've quoted, though. Just to be clear: I assume you are saying that you will be there on an award stay and that you upgraded by paying $$$ but that they gave you a free upgrade for one night as part of the deal. I assume that you're not saying that you were able to upgrade with points, right?
Old May 18, 2009, 7:07 pm

Programs: SWA A+ Pref/CP, DL 1M, HH Diamond, National Car Exec.
Thunderroad,

You are correct. I asked both ways that you mention. I asked if my "Gold Status" would get me an upgrade from the "Garden Bungalow." they replied "availability at check-in only and that it was possible I could get a beachfront or even a OWB for free if I wanted to chance it"... I then asked based on the slow economy if they would negotiate an upgrade to a "Sunset OWB" for $$$ and gurantee me an OWB now. The first lady was e-mailing me from Tahiti (e-mail address on Hilton Moorea website evidently goes to Tahiti reservations first) and she did not have authority to negotiate so she had to put me in contact with actual Moorea Hotel manager who offered me the 1 night free if I paid cash to upgrade. Seems like total with taxes and fees came to around 105000 fcp. for 7 nights. (I am on Business travel and actual price and e-mails are on my home computer). I also asked for early check-in and to be picked up by Hilton van instead of taxi after ferry boat ride over. They agreed on all points! Very nice people and good prompt e-mail replies.

You might even do better than I did... I did not counter their offer of 1 free night and early check-in. I accepted that offer not wanting to push my luck.

There is also a thread on this forum somewhere on Moorea Hilton that basically says it's been renovated and now has great reviews.

(I just wish FP had a more liberal boat rental policy and let you rent above a 6 HP motor boat and keep it at your OWB!)

hope that helps!

GradyWhite!
Old May 19, 2009, 9:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

GW, thanks again for the very useful info. Given the slow economy, there's a chance of being able to negotiate an even better price for upgrading upon arrival or even getting really, really lucky with a free upgrade. But I suspect I'll go your route and try to set it up beforehand.
Old Jun 2, 2009, 5:17 pm

Programs: AA Plt 3MM; UA 1K 2 MM; MR Lifetime Plat; HH Lifetime Diamond; HH Diamond; IGH Spire Ambas; SPG Gold
Ways to optimize 10 days in tahiti at the three hiltons

Would like to get suggestions on how to best spend a 10 night stay in Tahiti.

Ms. Travelexpert and I will be travelling next May with our 7 year old daughter.

Want ideas on how we should allocate time in Papeete, Bora Bora and Moorea.

Am posting here since the major driver of how we design our itinerary will be the Hilton hotel component, including quality of the properties and their location relative to "the best each island has to offer".

Consider activities available in the context of being cost-effective--we are not looking to run up a bill of $1000s! Availability of nearby restaurants will also be a factor, since we prefer not to be captive to high priced hotel restaurants.

Less importantly, will also appreciate feedback on best ways of traveling between islands and from "ports" to the hotels, including trade-offs between slower yet cheaper options versus faster but more expensive modes of transport.
Old Jun 2, 2009, 7:08 pm
Community Director Emerita

There is a wealth of information in the Starwood forum, since all three hotels were managed by Starwood prior to Jan 15 2009.

TahitiConsensus is that you want to spend your time in Moorea and Bora Bora, if at all possible avoiding time in Tahiti. The hotel there is nothing remarkable, and the island is overbuilt. Moorea can be reached by ferry or plane. Bora Bora can only be reached by plane. It is roughly $500 RT, and a stop in Moorea can be included in that airpass.
Old Jun 3, 2009, 7:10 pm

Programs: AA Plt 3MM; UA 1K 2 MM; MR Lifetime Plat; HH Lifetime Diamond; HH Diamond; IGH Spire Ambas; SPG Gold
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
There is a wealth of information in the Starwood forum, since all three hotels were managed by Starwood prior to Jan 15 2009.
My understanding is that these hotels have been extensively refurbished since Hilton took over, so making decisions about the potential hotel experience from the older posts may not be as accurate.
Old Jun 3, 2009, 7:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by travelexpert
Availability of nearby restaurants will also be a factor, since we prefer not to be captive to high priced hotel restaurants.

Less importantly, will also appreciate feedback on best ways of traveling between islands and from "ports" to the hotels, including trade-offs between slower yet cheaper options versus faster but more expensive modes of transport.
These attributes likely change little with brand flagging.
Old Jun 4, 2009, 12:30 am

Programs: QR/AC Gold, VA Silver, IHG Plat, Bonvoy Gold
Please see the following two threads:

Hilton Moorea:

Hilton Bora Bora Nui:

Hopefully that helps.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.