Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Boulders Resort & Spa, Curio Collection by Hilton {US-AZ}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 10, 2013, 2:29 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: MS02113
Boulders Resort & Spa, Curio Collection by Hilton

Hotel Website: http://curiocollection3.hilton.com/en/hotels/arizona/boulders-resort-and-spa-curio-collection-by-hilton-PHXRSQQ/index.html

http://www.theboulders.com/

Address: 34631 N. Tom Darlington Drive, Carefree, Arizona, 85377, USA
Phone: Tel: 1-480-488-9009 Fax: 1-480-488-4118

Other:
Hilton HHonors Properties in Phoenix (consolidated thread)
Print Wikipost

Boulders Resort & Spa, Curio Collection by Hilton {US-AZ}

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2014, 1:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
This is par for the course at many WA properties. The discount myway option is often not worth choosing. If you are interested in golf, depending upon the time of year choosing a golf included package rate is often a better choice at these properties.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 1:13 pm

Programs: AA, B6, UA, HH, WoH
I agree, "Gift Shop" discount is very weak. Spa, Golf or Restaurant should be offered.

At least the rates shown as available most of December are low. 5 nights starting at $199 or 40,000 points/night is decent. Hopefully you will get an exceptional upgrade.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 1:23 pm

Programs: HH Lifetime Diamond, DL PM, Hertz President's Circle
Agree with OP that this is a weak discount. In comparison, I received a 15 to20% discount towards spa visits at W=A NYC, El Conquistador Puerto Rico, and Roosevelt New Orleans this year.

Have you looked into the "Exclusive All-Inclusive" package at Arizona Biltmore if it is offered? It came with 30% off our spa visits and all our meals. I got the hot stone massage and it was great, but the facility needed renovations (it was in progress). I'm not sure if they offer it this close to high season, but I found it to be an exceptional value during a stay in June.

Last edited by Michael19887; Oct 9, 2014 at 1:29 pm
Old Oct 9, 2014, 1:44 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, AA EXP
Originally Posted by Michael19887
Agree with OP that this is a weak discount. In comparison, I received a 15 to20% discount towards spa visits at W=A NYC, El Conquistador Puerto Rico, and Roosevelt New Orleans this year.

Have you looked into the "Exclusive All-Inclusive" package at Arizona Biltmore if it is offered? It came with 30% off our spa visits and all our meals. I got the hot stone massage and it was great, but the facility needed renovations (it was in progress). I'm not sure if they offer it this close to high season, but I found it to be an exceptional value during a stay in June.
A good tip. They do offer it, but I don't think I want all my meals there for 5 days! But maybe I do if the food is excellent?
Old Oct 9, 2014, 3:12 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by ericgdukie44
A good tip. They do offer it, but I don't think I want all my meals there for 5 days! But maybe I do if the food is excellent?
Even a 30% discount on food at the AZ Biltmore or The Boulders wouldn't bring the food prices nearly down to the level of nearby restaurants.
There's just so many good restaurants in Carefree and Cave Creek, not to mention North Scottsdale. So long as you have a vehicle, I think you'd miss so much of the overall experience if you didn't eat out, especially over 5 days.

I'm not surprised that they don't give a golf discount over the holiday season. As you might suspect, that is peak season in the AZ deserts. Even a so-so 9-hole course can charge $$$ that time of year.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 6:50 pm

Originally Posted by aztimm
Even a 30% discount on food at the AZ Biltmore or The Boulders wouldn't bring the food prices nearly down to the level of nearby restaurants.
There's just so many good restaurants in Carefree and Cave Creek, not to mention North Scottsdale. So long as you have a vehicle, I think you'd miss so much of the overall experience if you didn't eat out, especially over 5 days.

I'm not surprised that they don't give a golf discount over the holiday season. As you might suspect, that is peak season in the AZ deserts. Even a so-so 9-hole course can charge $$$ that time of year.
30% off was at the spa. Food was included with vouchers. The package included breakfast in Ocatilla, lunch voucher for 2 (60.00) and dinner for 2 (110.00). We did enjoy the food but it was just two nights. I bet you could book it for 3 nights and use points for two and Spread the meals out and eat out for some? We used dinner as lunch one day to have more money for drinks at the pool. They were flexible and didn't care which certificate was used when.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 6:53 pm

Originally Posted by ericgdukie44
One night at Wrights I had surf and turf of beef Wellington and lobster and everything including tip was covered by the voucher. It was delicious.
Old Apr 26, 2015, 7:29 pm

Programs: HHonnors Diamond, AA Gold, UA Silver
Per Hilton's website, this property is leaving the Waldorf flag and joining the curio flag... I believe diamonds get breakfast at curio properties (don't know for sure as I have not yet stayed at a curio property).

If we now get breakfast at this property, I might have to stay here more often...
Old Apr 27, 2015, 7:45 am

Originally Posted by gbearbuck
Per Hilton's website, this property is leaving the Waldorf flag and joining the curio flag... I believe diamonds get breakfast at curio properties (don't know for sure as I have not yet stayed at a curio property).

If we now get breakfast at this property, I might have to stay here more often...
Interesting! I figured this might start happening, especially for properties where the brand association makes no sense. theWit in Chicago being a DT is an example. You do get breakfast at Curio. All properties handle it differently. I stayed at the SLS Las Vegas, which now offers a $20.00 credit for you and a guest in one of their restaurants.
Old May 14, 2015, 6:12 pm

I just did a reward stay here as a Gold and got $20/person/day vouchers good for Palo Verde, The Bakery Cafe, The Grill, or The Spa Cafe. Since they're still in transition from WA to Curio, there was some confusion on this benefit, and I had to kindly ask about it since it was not initially offered.
Old May 20, 2015, 11:08 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT; HH Diamond; AS 75K
Originally Posted by amazingjames
I just did a reward stay here as a Gold and got $20/person/day vouchers good for Palo Verde, The Bakery Cafe, The Grill, or The Spa Cafe. Since they're still in transition from WA to Curio, there was some confusion on this benefit, and I had to kindly ask about it since it was not initially offered.
Did they waive the resort fee for the reward stay? The website is confusing as part states resort fee is waived for Diamond rewards but then the reservation mentions a resort fee.
Old May 23, 2015, 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by tkelvin69
Did they waive the resort fee for the reward stay? The website is confusing as part states resort fee is waived for Diamond rewards but then the reservation mentions a resort fee.
I'm here right now on an award stay... The resort charge is waived for reward stays.

I was given a certificate for a comped drink (not sure if that means one drink or one drink per person for a couple.... Which is more typical), we were also given a 20%off voucher to the gift shop (minimum $50 purchase required). That was it at checkin. I asked about breakfast and they said no breakfast available for diamonds...

I called the first morning to inquire about breakfast for diamonds at curio properties (was tired and didn't have the nerdy to argue with the checkin guy the previous night) Was told we could choose from two comped drinks per night or $30 breakfast credit per night stayed. The credit is evidently taken off at checkout... We'll see if that goes smoothly or not.

Also told the curio conversion team is on site right now and they are retraining the staff/ branding items (currently still have the Waldorf stuff). They are also starting a $20million refurb of the resorts.... They hope to have that complete within 6/9 months... I don't think thy have started anything regarding the refurb.

Clearly the staff doesn't know the new curio benefits... I'm sure they will get all this ironed out quickly.

The from desk clerk said they have photos of what the new rooms will look like (and upgrades or the bathrooms in each casita) ...he said they look really nice...
Old May 23, 2015, 8:29 pm

Originally Posted by tkelvin69
I'm here right now on an award stay... The resort charge is waived for reward stays.

I was given a certificate for a comped drink (not sure if that means one drink or one drink per person for a couple.... Which is more typical), we were also given a 20%off voucher to the gift shop (minimum $50 purchase required). That was it at checkin. I asked about breakfast and they said no breakfast available for diamonds...

I called the first morning to inquire about breakfast for diamonds at curio properties (was tired and didn't have the nerdy to argue with the checkin guy the previous night) Was told we could choose from two comped drinks per night or $30 breakfast credit per night stayed. The credit is evidently taken off at checkout... We'll see if that goes smoothly or not.

Also told the curio conversion team is on site right now and they are retraining the staff/ branding items (currently still have the Waldorf stuff). They are also starting a $20million refurb of the resorts.... They hope to have that complete within 6/9 months... I don't think thy have started anything regarding the refurb.

Clearly the staff doesn't know the new curio benefits... I'm sure they will get all this ironed out quickly.

The from desk clerk said they have photos of what the new rooms will look like (and upgrades or the bathrooms in each casita) ...he said they look really nice...
tkelvin69, I did not have to pay the resort fee either.

gbearbuck, Yeah, there's clearly a fair amount of confusion with the transition. I got the 20% off for the gift shop as well. No mention of a drink voucher for me. I'd have chosen breakfast anyways.

Also, at least at the time, the Hilton IT system appeared to be coding the Boulders as a WA still for bonus points purposes. As a result, I got points for all 3 of the current WA bonus offers and 1k for the myway option. :-) No bonus for the current Curio promo. This may have been updated since, so YMMV.
Old May 26, 2015, 9:38 am

Programs: Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond, United Global Services
Upstairs leaky bathroom..

Just completed a reward stay.

At check-in, I asked about breakfast, and they said they have chosen to not do breakfast at this curio resort. He said we do get vouchers for free drinks or food, but he did not have physical vouchers for us to use. I said I heard other diamonds got $20 per person per day, he said yes. But again, gave us know vouchers and said it would be applied at check out. Also, I did get the 20 percent voucher.

We were in room 202. Very close to the lobby and boulders trail, which we liked. What we didn't like: Our upstairs neighbors (201) BATHTUB DRAINED THROUGH OUR LIGHT SOCKET INTO OUR TUB! WHAT? I called maintenance, and they came. This happened around 10pm. Since we were leaving very early the next day to the grand canyon, we agreed to pack our bags, and then the staff would move us to a new room the next day. We were to pick up a new key upon return. When we returned, they said since they could not confirm the leak, they did not move us. I asked if they went to 201 to turn on the bathtub to watch it drain into our bathroom, they said no. They could not get into 201 because of a do not disturb, but assured us they fixed it. I asked how.. and he said well they saw no issue, so it must have resolved itself. I said it only happens when dirty bathwater is being drained, and there is no way it was fixed. He looked at me and said sorry, we cant move you. ...?

Suddenly, the last day they said they would move us, but we didn't feel like packing again, just for one night.

At check out, they did not want to credit us the $20/day/person. Then said they would only credit if for one, because the reservation only had one person. I said clearly my husband is here with me. I argued a bit, and finally got it credited. Then I noticed a mini fridge charge, which was not used. The girl said they must have noticed the water was missing, I said we did not drink the water we had to pay for. They told us they would credit us 10K points for our room issues, but I said that's not really enough when they compromise safety.

I must say... the resort looks beautiful, and we did love the location. The spotted donkey cafe was great! However, we will not return until they at least update the bathrooms.
Old May 26, 2015, 1:29 pm

Originally Posted by JetSet05
Just completed a reward stay.

At check-in, I asked about breakfast, and they said they have chosen to not do breakfast at this curio resort. He said we do get vouchers for free drinks or food, but he did not have physical vouchers for us to use. I said I heard other diamonds got $20 per person per day, he said yes. But again, gave us know vouchers and said it would be applied at check out. Also, I did get the 20 percent voucher.

We were in room 202. Very close to the lobby and boulders trail, which we liked. What we didn't like: Our upstairs neighbors (201) BATHTUB DRAINED THROUGH OUR LIGHT SOCKET INTO OUR TUB! WHAT? I called maintenance, and they came. This happened around 10pm. Since we were leaving very early the next day to the grand canyon, we agreed to pack our bags, and then the staff would move us to a new room the next day. We were to pick up a new key upon return. When we returned, they said since they could not confirm the leak, they did not move us. I asked if they went to 201 to turn on the bathtub to watch it drain into our bathroom, they said no. They could not get into 201 because of a do not disturb, but assured us they fixed it. I asked how.. and he said well they saw no issue, so it must have resolved itself. I said it only happens when dirty bathwater is being drained, and there is no way it was fixed. He looked at me and said sorry, we cant move you. ...?

Suddenly, the last day they said they would move us, but we didn't feel like packing again, just for one night.

At check out, they did not want to credit us the $20/day/person. Then said they would only credit if for one, because the reservation only had one person. I said clearly my husband is here with me. I argued a bit, and finally got it credited. Then I noticed a mini fridge charge, which was not used. The girl said they must have noticed the water was missing, I said we did not drink the water we had to pay for. They told us they would credit us 10K points for our room issues, but I said that's not really enough when they compromise safety.

I must say... the resort looks beautiful, and we did love the location. The spotted donkey cafe was great! However, we will not return until they at least update the bathrooms.
We have not checked out yet. Upon priding they offered $30 per night, however $20 per person per night is obviously better...I'll ask about the $20 per person per night... I assume the $40 per night is good at any time... The $30 per night we were offered is only good for breakfast...

Either way we are once again enjoying our stay here...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.